Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2020, 06:33 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
we are in the same boat. and think alike on this.

i think the goal is to get money in the economy fast....evidently we are all Keynesian... and figuring out who is working still and who isn't would take too much time.
I thought the goal was to allow everyone to continue to be able to pay for food, housing, and utilities. Silly me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 06:38 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,768,035 times
Default How Will Giving Americans a $1000 check help the economy if just about the entire economy is shut down

So if people can’t go out to spend how will this proposed stimulus help?

Old 03-19-2020, 06:39 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,019,204 times
Is this suppose to stimulate the economy or to help people who were not allowed to work during the quarantine?

Old 03-19-2020, 06:41 AM

4,034 posts, read 2,720,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Is this suppose to stimulate the economy or to help people who were not allowed to work during the quarantine?
I was of the impression it was the latter. Which would mean people could pay utilities, buy food, might help cover rent/mortgages (depending on housing costs of the area).

Old 03-19-2020, 06:41 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,019,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I was of the impression it was the latter. Which would mean people could pay utilities, buy food, might help cover rent/mortgages (depending on housing costs of the area).
That is what I understood of it as well.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:44 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,210,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Agree. It's not meant to be an economic boost, but a safeguard.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:49 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Yes, a $1000 check won't help anyone because it doesn't pay for much of anything. I think the COVID-19 protection plan we have in place is a lousy one. We are deliberately causing an economic depression. And for what? Closing all these businesses is not going to fix the problem anyway. People will still get COVID-19 and die. Meanwhile, people will also die from hunger and homelessness. Consider what the homeless go through. They die from exposure and illness. I'm in medical and furloughed. My wife is prn medical and her job is threatened. Millions of jobs are at risk. This lousy idea will affect every industry, not just hospitality and travel.

If people can't work, they don't drive so they don't buy gas. They don't take vacations. They don't go to the doctor for routine visits. They don't get haircuts, new clothes, gifts, restaurants, or movies. They don't pay for child care, electric bills, car payments, insurance, student loans, or even mortgages. They don't buy appliances, cars, or homes. And it won't solve the problem because we can't quarantine ourselves long enough anyway. Families and businesses will go bankrupt. We then lose people both to the virus and poverty.

We should quarantine the immunocompromised and elderly only who are less likely to be working anyway, everyone else continue working their jobs as before, let the illness run through us since it is mild for most of us, and any of us who get it and need hospitalized will be able to get medical treatment since we're protecting the people most at risk. In the meantime we can support ourselves financially. But this approach is moronic and will ultimately fail.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:49 AM

2,495 posts, read 868,168 times
Landlords are hoping to make sure they're paid for April.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:50 AM

5,181 posts, read 3,097,864 times
Definitely a desperation move, but desperate people do desperate things. A slug of consumer spending helps to offset a deflationary trend developing in the bond markets (think subprime auto loans) and may keep more small businesses open. If that little coffee shop shuts down, more than likely it will never reopen. Its debts are written off — more deflation. TPTB want to limit that.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:33 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
I actually looked through the entire article. It is heavily dependent upon how a state gets it's revenue. For instance in Texas, without state income taxes, it is way more regressive than say New Jersey.
Nope. NJ has a higher real estate/property tax rate than TX. So does IL. Like I said, you can't cherry-pick data. You have to look at the total local, state, and federal tax burden by income level as a whole.

Not sure why you aren't understanding the fact that in the US, the total local, state, and federal effective tax rate by income level is very progressive and not flat, at all.

Federal taxes are highly progressive:

Chart: Average Effective Federal Tax Rate by Income Group

(That chart is interesting in that it includes how federal excise taxes and the corporate income tax affects each income group. Most people don't realize that corporate income tax is included as overhead in the pricing formula for goods/services and is therefore embedded in the price of everything we buy. Corporations don't actually pay it. It's passed on to the end users/consumers. It's a hidden tax on whoever buys/rents a corporation's goods/services/etc., including those in the bottom income quintile.)

While state and local taxes are mildly regressive.

Chart: State and Local Effective Tax Rate by Income Level

The combination of the two -- the total local, state, and federal effective tax rate by income level -- is still very progressive.

The top 1% pays a total effective tax rate of 37%
The middle quintile pays... 22%
The bottom quintile pays... 14.3%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies