Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 09:55 AM

25,745 posts, read 12,832,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
How does this work? Do people not working, social security, disabled 100% veterans, etc or people who don’t even have a job, do they get this too? They shouldn’t as they didn’t lose money in first place. I’m perplexed how sending $$$ to everyone will benefit society
I'm with you. We need to be smart about this, but keep it simple so it can be quickly implemented...

If you are working (currently paying monthly payroll taxes of X amount) & making <$200,000/yr, you should get it. $200k in San Fran & NYC, and some other large cities is peanuts.

If you are eligible for unemployment, or on unemployment, you get it.

If you are already existing upon other govt assistance (SS, or SS Disability), and do not work, you don't get it.

Beyond these rules, I'm open to suggestions. Students? Active military?

I dont want to bring back welfare. This is to supplement workers, & strivers.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:00 AM

25,745 posts, read 12,832,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Stop bailing out Big Business. Bail out the workers!!!!
Bail out workers 1st.

Lend vulnerable industry's money at no interest, and provide future tax relief, but no handouts...for now. Re-assess later.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:45 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I understand how it appears that way, I really do.

Please consider most of us you think are Republicans are not, but its the closest thing to what we are, so we reluctantly ride along with them.

Open up your mind, and consider the existence of a truly compassionate Conservative, who is also Liberal.

Imagine a person who isn't Blue, or Red, or even any color at all. We exist. We are on the side of the 99%.
I imagined it. Then dismissed it wholeheartedly.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:12 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Nobody is saying "red stimulus bad". Everyone is pointing out that conservatives are denying that they were highly critical of Obama's stimulus package.

Now of course a couple of your fellow right wingers are going with the 2009 downturn "wasn't that bad" and we didn't need a stimulus package.

Others are steadfastly stating that Obama shouldn't have done it and Trump shouldn't do it. So that groupd doesn't fit into your compassionate conservative narrative.

And what his really felonious about your post is that Trump is giving out "free stuff" and you are claiming that liberals are against 'free stuff'. Since when are democrats against "free stuff".
Obama gave out billions of dollars to the rich fat cat Wall Street bankers so they could pass out huge bonuses around amongst themselves....so yeah I criticized it at the time and said a better move would be to hand out an equal number of stimulus dollars to every American. This stimulus looks like a much better idea than Obama's giving out billion and billions to Wall Street.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:22 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,577,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Obama gave out billions of dollars to the rich fat cat Wall Street bankers so they could pass out huge bonuses around amongst themselves....so yeah I criticized it at the time and said a better move would be to hand out an equal number of stimulus dollars to every American. This stimulus looks like a much better idea than Obama's giving out billion and billions to Wall Street.
Did your Obama Stimulus Check get lost in the mail?

https://www.thebalance.com/stimulus-checks-3305750

Old 03-19-2020, 02:46 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Did your Obama Stimulus Check get lost in the mail?

https://www.thebalance.com/stimulus-checks-3305750
Personal attacks are just an acknowledgement that the facts and logic have you defeated....thanks for that acknowledgement!

Again, Obama's hand out to the rich fat cat Wall Street bankers that paid to elect him was not as fair or well thought as the current plan to help all Americans.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:51 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,577,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Personal attacks are just an acknowledgement that the facts and logic have you defeated....thanks for that acknowledgement!

Again, Obama's hand out to the rich fat cat Wall Street bankers that paid to elect him was not as fair or well thought as the current plan to help all Americans.
Personal attacks? On who? You present facts. I present facts. Obama's plan was fair. Didn't you get your Obama check?

Last edited by cruitr; 03-19-2020 at 03:04 AM..

Old 03-19-2020, 04:07 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Personal attacks? On who? You present facts. I present facts. Obama's plan was fair. Didn't you get your Obama check?

I got my Obama healthcare COST RISE which tripled my monthly health insurance cost and deductibles. Also with gasoline above $4 per gallon my commuting costs almost were doubled. In addition, I was paying HIGHER INCOME TAXES under Obama. So you can keep your "check" and maybe use it for toilet paper.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:04 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and European nations are opening up as much as 20% of their GDP (including poor spain)...20% of our GDP would be in the 5 trillion range

trump is being conservative... yes he is opening up needed monies, but being smart about it
For all the business that get a free hand out, the tax payers should demand a halt to bonus packages and cut the pay of upper management. They can always refuse the welfare checks.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:07 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
no..a big no

I don't think there should EVER be bailouts... not by bush, not by Obama, and not by trump
Where is the outrage and the pitchforks then?
It seems you can hear crickets anytime the rich get a bailout.
But when the topic is even brought up for a handout to the poor, the outrage and seething is deafening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies