Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 11:55 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
We already know Trump was wrong. This is a very big deal. You can continue to pretend otherwise, but the world at large disagrees with you. I was just on a conference call this morning with some market analysts and believe me, they are not seeing this as "just some old people dying." Get out of your echo chamber and get a clue as to what's happening around the globe right now.
Still interesting how several years ago a local professor died at his home of the flu and the mayor didn't shut down the town in response. Nobody here has died of COVID 19, so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 11:56 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You heard it here first! "The death rate will NOT hit 1000 by the end of April."
Right. It will hit 1000 by the end of March!

Old 03-18-2020, 12:00 PM

30,059 posts, read 18,656,690 times
Quote:
This is unprecedented. Entering a Bear Market (loss of 20% of stock value) in just 10 days where in the 2008 crash it took 200+ days and all over 116 Coronavirus deaths, 95% of which are among the elderly??????

Corona may be serious but to bring an entire economy down over 116 deaths in over a 1-month period is the definition of insanity IMHO. When this things starts to die out by summer the US economy will be in shambles at this rate. We will learn that Trump was right all along--it was the most gigantic hoax ever perpetrated on the US people.
The peak is expected in mid May.

The expansion of infection is logarithmic; just ask the Iranians and the Italians.

This is not a "hoax" at all. The CDC does not casually announce pandemics to be cute and expedite political agendas.

The only reason there will not be as many deaths as the Spanish Flu is the fact that there has been aggressive efforts to minimize exposure and an understanding of disease transmission. As a physician, I do not think that the health measures are over blown by any means. We just shut down our ORs for all elective cases effective today. A large hospital system does not decide to take it in the shorts financially over a "hoax".

Old 03-18-2020, 12:00 PM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
We already know Trump was wrong. This is a very big deal. You can continue to pretend otherwise, but the world at large disagrees with you. I was just on a conference call this morning with some market analysts and believe me, they are not seeing this as "just some old people dying." Get out of your echo chamber and get a clue as to what's happening around the globe right now.
You are both right! Right now, it pales in contrast to our everyday flu that hits us each year. So, in that regard, its WAAY overblown.

However, this virus has the potential to become more deadly, so that potential makes it a VERY big deal.

Please try to find common ground with each other for a while. You are BOTH right.

Let's support our governments efforts, support each other, and put the partisan brawls on the back burner.

We can all Monday morning QB this in the weeks ahead, and vote accordingly come November.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:02 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,163,063 times
Quote:
Corona may be serious but to bring an entire economy down over 116 deaths in over a 1-month period is the definition of insanity IMHO.

Italy just reported 475 deaths in one day. Not enough ICU beds and ventilators. When that happens you die at home, in the waiting room, in the hallway, or in a tent, untreated. The U.S. is in a very fragile state as well, we only have about 100,000 ICU beds to serve 330 million people. The economic shutdown is the right thing to do, otherwise we'd be looking at 500k to 1M deaths (source: CDC scenarios).

Old 03-18-2020, 12:04 PM

30,059 posts, read 18,656,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
That's simply false. You Trumplicans are doing so much damage by dissuading people from following the recommendations of the CDC and NIH.
I think that EVERYONE should follow the advice of the CDC. I am a Trump supporter (and a physician) and am following the CDC suggestions. Unfortunately, I have to go to work every day and may be "re-assigned", depending on the number of patients affected. I am also immunosuppressed from cancer, but am not given any special "pass" to see patients.

IF we follow the CDC suggestions, things will not be as bad as they could be. IF this happens, there will thankfully be fewer fatalities and people can say, "I told you so". I would rather be safe than sorry with public health.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:09 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Italy just reported 475 deaths in one day. Not enough ICU beds and ventilators. When that happens you die at home, in the waiting room, in the hallway, or in a tent, untreated. The U.S. is in a very fragile state as well, we only have about 100,000 ICU beds to serve 330 million people. The economic shutdown is the right thing to do, otherwise we'd be looking at 500k to 1M deaths (source: CDC scenarios).
I find it highly amusing how so many "experts" choose to project the number of deaths or the number of infections.

People projecting deaths is like dogs chasing cars. It's a total waste of time.

But to be factually correct, 327,200,000 Americans COULD die from the China flu. Anything less than that is a wild ass guess and is of no value.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:09 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,831,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I think that EVERYONE should follow the advice of the CDC. I am a Trump supporter (and a physician) and am following the CDC suggestions. Unfortunately, I have to go to work every day and may be "re-assigned", depending on the number of patients affected. I am also immunosuppressed from cancer, but am not given any special "pass" to see patients.

IF we follow the CDC suggestions, things will not be as bad as they could be. IF this happens, there will thankfully be fewer fatalities and people can say, "I told you so". I would rather be safe than sorry with public health.
Ideally if we do everything right, people will have the luxury of looking backwards and arguing about how we overreacted.

Because any successful effort to mitigate the impacts of a pandemic will look like an overreaction in hindsight.

Hopefully, we avoid the subject lesson in how bad these things can be at their worst, but maybe that is what it takes every couple of generations for people to actually understand why we respond in the ways that we do.

We are still a part of nature, and nature can still reel back and slap us off our high horse as it has done often in the history of our species.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:10 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

Italy is a basket case. The US is NOT Italy. Over the same period as Italy we got only 116 deaths to Italy's 2,500. That's not even a fair comparison.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:11 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

I agree with you. But the deaths will not be the worst problem. A much bigger problem will be the millions of people who will be devastated economically. Many of them will never recover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies