Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 11:52 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,880,794 times

Advertisements

At this point - if it drops in the USA (or elsewhere) it will be because of the measures taken - not in spite of them. You will be able to debate that for years.

Italy missed the chance for debate.

Regarding the boat - if 20% of exposed people get it, and 1% of them die, (7 out of 700) - then that's 700K dead in the USA (350Mx0.2x0.01)...in six weeks, not a year. And that doesn't mean it will end. It will just keep going, unless something changes. That would make it the most lethal cause of death in the USA, year after year.

So if you're right, we're crashing and burning for nothing. And if you're wrong - bad things are happening. I am a skeptic about just about everything - but data don't lie. We can hope the statistics are really, really wrong. Or we find a pill. Or summer ends it. All "hope" tho.

Other than blind luck and good hoping, ya got anything that says that's not the trajectory for Italy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 11:57 AM

492 posts, read 234,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, I agree (or at least I do at this point). Please read the following, and also please note the writer's credentials at the bottom.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...hip-death-rate
that was good read....

Old 03-20-2020, 01:12 PM

20,115 posts, read 9,032,117 times
somebody's got to say it, sabotaging the economy over 1,000 people dying of a flu is stupid.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:55 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
somebody's got to say it, sabotaging the economy over 1,000 people dying of a flu is stupid.
Well, Russian bots are saying it all over the social discussion boards like P&OC and others in their ongoing attempt to sow disinformation and disunity in America.
Which begs the question nobody has bothered to ask on this forum, "Why is Russia the only nation with none or negligible covid 19 virus cases?"

Old 03-21-2020, 10:57 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
It's another one of Trump's many wins! But of course because it's a negative event, he won't own it. It's only the good things he takes credit for.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:01 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Well, Russian bots are saying it all over the social discussion boards like P&OC and others in their ongoing attempt to sow disinformation and disunity in America.
Which begs the question nobody has bothered to ask on this forum, "Why is Russia the only nation with none or negligible covid 19 virus cases?"
Probably for the same reason the United States had no reported cases until Jan. 21. It takes time to start going crazy.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:07 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This is unprecedented. Entering a Bear Market (loss of 20% of stock value) in just 10 days where in the 2008 crash it took 200+ days and all over 116 Coronavirus deaths, 95% of which are among the elderly??????

Corona may be serious but to bring an entire economy down over 116 deaths in over a 1-month period is the definition of insanity IMHO. When this things starts to die out by summer the US economy will be in shambles at this rate. We will learn that Trump was right all along--it was the most gigantic hoax ever perpetrated on the US people.

You have to remember that the market is all about speculation.

Nobody knows what's going to happen, so what it's reacting to is the uncertainty.

They're no reacting to what HAS happened, as far as the number of sick and deaths go.

They're reacting to the fear and sensationalism over what COULD happen.

Everything being forced to shut down certainly isn't helping that either.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:08 AM

956 posts, read 1,208,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Probably for the same reason the United States had no reported cases until Jan. 21. It takes time to start going crazy.
It also takes testing! If people aren't being tested the numbers will be low. It's out there but nobody knows without TESTING. The more testing the higher the numbers. Simple math.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:14 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post

Probably because Putin executes them the moment they get diagnosed. Putin knows how to solve a crisis.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:23 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The math is on my side.
I am using figures from Worldometer. I have been keeping records from Mar 3rd.
The rate of increase is now 29.6% per day over the last 10 days. Today seem to be a bit higher. I actually use 30%.
I will use 9,236 cases for today. That's the figure at this hour.

The figures now work out to 215,181 cases by Mar 31. Your challenge should be to prove me wrong.
WARNING: It's gonna be tough, because I am right

The liberals chided Trump when he said he thought the death rate was going to be less than 3.4%. Turned out he was right.
It's at 4% world wide, but only 1.6% in America.

My figures look right to me.

We haven't seen your work, but I would love to see it. Guesses do not count.

And all this is why I shorted the market on Mar 6th (DOG). My proclivity for crunching numbers, which served me so well in business, compelled me to start a spread sheet so that I can actually see what is happening. And I saw.
My short is up 40%.
1.6% should be regarded as alarmingly higher than the .02% of common flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies