Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 02:23 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
thank you.

the number of people who have said the virus is a hoax is incredibly small, and must all wear tinfoil hats. The POTUS hasn't said the virus was a hoax. Certainly some of the things he said early on downplayed the risk.
One the President's main confidants, Sean Hannity:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/hannit...bludgeon-trump

HANNITY: Alright so that's the point, I mean they're scaring the living hell out of people. And I see I seeing them again as like oh, okay, let's bludgeon Trump with this new hoax

that's a direct quote and he's on video saying it. Spin it however you want, he basically said this entire situation was a hoax 9 days ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 02:24 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
The rest of us otherwise healthy people should be able to go about our business while respecting common sense precautions such as not shaking hands and avoiding large gatherings, or staying home if we have a person at risk in our entourage.

The virus is not a hoax but the doomsday predictions are. As I said before, if you are concerned about this new strain of flu but drink or smoke or are addicted to legal/illegal drugs you don't have your priorities straight.

There is no reason to crush the economy and the livelihood of hundreds of million of people worldwide because 9K mostly elderly people passed away in the whole world. Even if it was 90K.
the sad problem is the number of people who wouldn't take sensible measures. And the # of people, when told "If you're sick stay home and we'll still pay you" would take advantage of the opportunity.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:29 PM

2,486 posts, read 825,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You heard it here first! "The death rate will NOT hit 1000 by the end of April."
While I'm not prepared to forecast that, I agree that it will be nowhere near the rhinovirus death rates. It's estimated that 2M children die every year from the common cold and flu.

There have been 8000 deaths worldwide in a little over 3 months and the planet is acting as if a million have died.

Think about that for a minute.

There's something else going on and this flu is being used as cover for nefarious reasons. I feel like this is some sort of test phase (PoC) for something else.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:29 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
One the President's main confidants, Sean Hannity:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/hannit...bludgeon-trump

HANNITY: Alright so that's the point, I mean they're scaring the living hell out of people. And I see I seeing them again as like oh, okay, let's bludgeon Trump with this new hoax

that's a direct quote and he's on video saying it. Spin it however you want, he basically said this entire situation was a hoax 9 days ago.
the headline:

"Hannity warns 'media mob' is politicizing coronavirus..."

that's the point.

I'm not sure at what point of the 8 minutes you derive your quote. In the first 2 minutes he spoke of the politicization (and that is what was on the screen), and said "yes, we need to take all of these precautions".

Old 03-18-2020, 02:40 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I am amazed that we are willing to destroy the entire economy when the death toll is still low. I know the potential for a large number of deaths is possible but usually economy trumps all.
It's called panic. An outsized reaction to a problem. It happens quite often.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:44 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
thank you.

the number of people who have said the virus is a hoax is incredibly small, and must all wear tinfoil hats. The POTUS hasn't said the virus was a hoax. Certainly some of the things he said early on downplayed the risk.
Actually, I don't think anybody said the virus is a hoax.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:48 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
The epidemiological evidence is there that without severe restrictions we would see a much larger problem.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:51 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
the headline:

"Hannity warns 'media mob' is politicizing coronavirus..."

that's the point.

I'm not sure at what point of the 8 minutes you derive your quote. In the first 2 minutes he spoke of the politicization (and that is what was on the screen), and said "yes, we need to take all of these precautions".
The quote is in this piece at 1:08. it's a direct quote and there is no qualifying it.

https://www.mediamatters.org/sean-ha...geon-trump-new

Old 03-18-2020, 02:56 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,551,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This is unprecedented. Entering a Bear Market (loss of 20% of stock value) in just 10 days where in the 2008 crash it took 200+ days and all over 116 Coronavirus deaths, 95% of which are among the elderly??????

Corona may be serious but to bring an entire economy down over 116 deaths in over a 1-month period is the definition of insanity IMHO. When this things starts to die out by summer the US economy will be in shambles at this rate. We will learn that Trump was right all along--it was the most gigantic hoax ever perpetrated on the US people.
When you need to deal with an outbreak like this, the best time to do it is as early as possible in the process. If you wait until there are 100,000 deaths, then you're already too late.

As for Trumpf calling this a hoax, well that's just plain irresponsible. But par for the coarse really.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:58 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Oh great, another one of these "why is this a big deal" threads.

I guess reading escapes some people.

Please tell me why about every country in the world, from China, to Iran, to France, to the US, are taking similar actions, if this virus is just no big deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies