Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2020, 10:12 PM

18,531 posts, read 15,362,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded --- Wrong! Today, a woman who was 27 died from COVID-19. Do some research. There are many young people who have succumbed to it. It's not just the older folks.
Yes, we have otherwise healthy people in their 20s and 30s dying from it. The majority are over 50, but youth is not a sure thing. The best I can say is that it is very rare for children to die from it, but there have been some reports of it happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 10:18 PM

42,823 posts, read 26,557,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
It must be killing the NYT that the "Trump Drugs" are working, and treated 699 New Yorkers, right there in their home town. Now, they must spin it as negatively as possible. How do you spin 699 New Yorkers saved negatively? They'll find a way...this article is loaded with spin.

It also kills them that an Israeli company (Sandoz) sent us 1M doses for free, and Trumps relationship with Israel is helping us get more than our fair share of the meds. Thanks Mr. Netanyahu We got your back, and you have ours..love it.
Doctor Zelensky in NY has yet to prove that he saved anyone with the drugs. Giving them to people who are not yet seriously ill doesn't really prove much because only 15% of infected end up on the hospital and get better without the drugs. We need controlled studies, I think there are two underway so let's slow down and catch our breath and see the data from those.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:05 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,803,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Doctor Zelensky in NY has yet to prove that he saved anyone with the drugs. Giving them to people who are not yet seriously ill doesn't really prove much because only 15% of infected end up on the hospital and get better without the drugs. We need controlled studies, I think there are two underway so let's slow down and catch our breath and see the data from those.
The projection is that up to 100k people will die the next 2 months.
1. you are demanding information paperwork provided to you, BEFORE those people could be allowed to try to survive.
2. clinical studies in ivory tower cannot produce the required paperwork BEFORE those 100k people die. After a person is DEAD, any proven medication you give them is completely useless. A delayed solution to a time sensitive problem is not a solution at all. By the time you have the results of the clinical trials published, it will not save any lives, it will only help with the toilet paper crisis.
3. You have zero common sense. This is what we call over-educated, most of my class mates at the elite university were like that, now they work on boring jobs.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:36 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,615,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
It really is though. I get it, you assume that anyone who doesn't go along with your stupidity is a Trump supporter....try to think outside your little partisan box. Trump is dumb, you are dumb. In this instance though, what Trump is saying happens to be correct because he's merely saying things doctors and researchers told him and you are just doing the knee jerk opposition shtick.

Trying to make people afraid of previously FDA approved drugs that have shown promise in treating COVID-19 at a time when thousands are dying, simply because you have a mental condition when it comes to things involving the president, is beyond irresponsible and it's reprehensible.

Those drugs are taken literally every single day by hundreds of thousands of people. Your ignorance, and my pointing out your ignorance has nothing at all to do with Trump.
So in your reality and the reality of those who don’t support Trump are wrong because we don’t buy into his B.S. AGAIN, why didn’t Trump let Fauci answer the reporters question?
So what quack of a doctor is telling Trump that this malaria drug works? By the way Trump doesn’t listen to anyone but himself.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:26 AM

28,338 posts, read 16,475,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I put on what amounts to a hazmat suit and treat these patients all day long. Almost every single one of them is getting Hydroxychloroquine as part of the treatment regimen. Just about every NYC Metro hospital is doing the same.
As someone on the "inside" AMD, is there any intel on when some sort of useful data from those treatments might emerge?

Old 04-06-2020, 05:33 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,613,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded --- Wrong! Today, a woman who was 27 died from COVID-19. Do some research. There are many young people who have succumbed to it. It's not just the older folks.
I notice you don't quote the time stamp of that quote the you took from me. Yes, since that quote we have had 1 death under 50.

ONE.. the % of deaths under 50 is minuscule. And you know it. You just want to scare young people so they do what you want. There is ONE death in my state under 50. 2 in the 50 to 60 range and 400+ over 60.

I cannot see that we will be up to 100K deaths in 2 months.

Yesterday the number of cases dropped substantially, though this could be a reporting issue if we merely stay the same with deaths over the next month -- that is 1000 per day for 60,000 by June 1.

Face it, the bombastic claims are fizzling out. Never mine that more and more things are showing promise as treatments and mistakes that are being made in treatment are being corrected.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:17 AM

8,970 posts, read 2,586,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So in your reality and the reality of those who don’t support Trump are wrong because we don’t buy into his B.S. AGAIN, why didn’t Trump let Fauci answer the reporters question?
So what quack of a doctor is telling Trump that this malaria drug works? By the way Trump doesn’t listen to anyone but himself.
Those people, and you are clearly one of them, who oppose a treatment for COVID-19 due to political ideology are wrong.

Your delusion that Trump merely picked out random drugs to push as a treatment is unfounded.

The idea of using those drugs came from French doctors who believed they had some success using them and then doctors and researchers across the globe started looking to get their hands on as much of the stuff as possible.

To be clear, it's not a cure, it's merely a treatment.... arguably the most promising treatment going at the moment.

Your opposition to it due to political ideology is no better then the nonsense we hear from the anti-vaxxers. The fearmongering lies some of you are telling in this thread could potentially lead to some idiot not taking their medicine and dying as a result, so just knock it off.

Find another excuse to whine about the bad orange man, we all know he provides plenty legitimate ones.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:51 AM

20,944 posts, read 8,745,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Hydroxychloroquine overdose is incredibly rare and it's nowhere near as toxic as you are suggesting. The toxic dose is approximately 20mg/kg, that means if you are an average American male you have to take over a gram and a half of the stuff before it will kill you.....something like 8 or 9 of the 200mg tabs. For the average American female, that's still 8 of them.
Average American male...gotta love that stuff. Once again you are referring to the people who get CV and may hardly blink.

How about the 75 year old woman who weighs 100 lbs and has many pre-existing conditions?

Also, if the dose is 600 mg and they are going to make billions of pills...think....they will likely make 600 mg pills! And so, you are saying exactly what I said in another way. Furthermore, much of it will be given by IV because folks on ventilators don't usually take pills!

TWO OR THREE TIMES (or less, in come cases) the "magic potion" dose can be deadly.

Almost ANY of it could be deadly to those with certain heart conditions...oh, did you know
"A recent study has also suggested that one in four adult Americans over the age of 40 could develop an irregular heartbeat."

Again, please stop killing grandma! We have actual researchers who will work on this stuff. Go back to building those Rockets or figuring out how to better decode the Human Genome....or to your job in HVAC or IT, whichever it may be.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:19 AM

18,958 posts, read 8,586,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
We are giving the combination to all patients at our hospital now, with regular EKG monitoring for the more vulnerable patients, and denial of the drug to the most vulnerable. Every hospital in my area is doing the same. We are getting hit hard right now, with hospitals either full, or filling to capacity with COVID patients. So that is a lot of patients getting the drug combination, and I dont want to hex it either, but so far no cardiac arrest reported.

One of the surgeons I work with, had a bad case of COVID. He claims that the Plaquenil saved his life. And he is one of the most brilliant guys I know, so I dont take what he says lightly.
I would monitor the QT on anyone getting the med combo. Is that considered over doing it?

Old 04-06-2020, 08:21 AM

18,531 posts, read 15,362,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
As someone on the "inside" AMD, is there any intel on when some sort of useful data from those treatments might emerge?
I haven’t heard any inside information on the trials. These trials usually take months to complete, but I have been reading, weeks instead of months from certain sources.

I would like to see the studies divided by age groups, because grouping a 20 year old that is getting the drug with an 80 year old getting the drug would be almost useless. Compare 80 year olds to 80 year olds with and without the drug. Same with 20 year olds.

Also, I am hoping for some studies that that take the stage of disease into account. These drugs are not like an antibiotic. They done kill the virus. They block some of the virus from replicating itself and creating more virus in the body. Given this, It is easy to understand that a drug that works this way, s going to be much more effective if it is started in the early stages of the disease, while there is not that much virus in the body yet. You are making the disease progress at a slower rate, basically buying the body time to mount it’s own defense.

From what I have seen, the people who take it soon after symptoms start, often claim the symptoms improved soon after starting the drug. But the people on ventilators, already have such a high viral load, that slowing down replication does very little to help them.

If you understand the way the drug works, then you understand why it is important to take it early. The usefulness of the drug will NOT be in saving the people on ventilators. It will be in keeping them from getting on ventilators in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies