Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2020, 10:44 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Again, please stop killing grandma! We have actual researchers who will work on this stuff. Go back to building those Rockets or figuring out how to better decode the Human Genome....or to your job in HVAC or IT, whichever it may be.
And we have actual Dr's who are qualified to assess the risks and determine an appropriate dose in conjunction with the patient.

I can just imagine if craigiri were unlucky enough to be infected. "I refuse to take a chance on this drug to save my life, come back to me in 3 years once the controlled studies are finalised".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 05:58 AM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Michigan Democrat lawmaker experienced quick relief from her Covid symptoms using hydroxychloroquine and thanks Trump.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/karen-...-saved-my-life

Old 04-07-2020, 06:01 AM

Interesting research showing that chloroquine pushes zinc into cells and that is what disrupts replication of virus.
It’s the reason supposedly that zinc lozenges work with viruses also — to stop/disrupt the replication.
We need more valid research on this!

https://www.naturalnews.com/2020-03-...king-zinc.html

Old 04-07-2020, 06:49 AM

LA doctor having impressive success using hydroxychloroquine combined with zinc
https://abc7.com/health/la-doctor-se...id-19/6079864/

"Every patient I've prescribed it to has been very, very ill and within 8 to 12 hours, they were basically symptom-free," Cardillo told Eyewitness News. "So clinically I am seeing a resolution."

Old 04-07-2020, 06:59 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
LA doctor having impressive success using hydroxychloroquine combined with zinc
https://abc7.com/health/la-doctor-se...id-19/6079864/

"Every patient I've prescribed it to has been very, very ill and within 8 to 12 hours, they were basically symptom-free," Cardillo told Eyewitness News. "So clinically I am seeing a resolution."
That doesn't line-up with ANY other testing done, though. How do you address that?

Old 04-07-2020, 07:44 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Default Short-circuiting a social revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
It is odd to me that one should dismiss something that potentially can save their life, especially something that potentially they can get for themselves. Are people that blind in faith toward the medical community?
I repped the post, all of which gives good tips as well as makes good points.

I isolated this paragraph for a reason. This topic is being discussed on Great Debates thread, This pandemic proves why we need to move away from capitalism. In Continental Europe the rule of thumb, socially and governmentally, is that whatever is not expressly permitted is forbidden or at least questionable. In the English-speaking countries it's the opposite; it's permitted unless forbidden. The significance of this difference, even in the democratic countries of Europe is astounding.

I am personally a liberal Democrat. Many of my fellow liberals want us to work our way to a "forbidden if not permitted" model. They feel that there's too much liberty, which they consider to be license. Th e list of "essential activities", if they have their way, will, quite true, be expanded but i what you want to do doesn't appear on some list, be very careful.. The discovery of the usefulness of the old malaria drug hydroxychloroquine threatens to short-circuit what they hope is a social revolution, similar to the way that Reagan's election short-circuited such "one world" efforts as the Law of the Sea treaty and Trump's election shorted circuited the Paris Accords and all kinds of similar "one-world" initiatives. And Brexit, in another English-speaking country is "Exhibit 'B'." That may explain some of the intensity of Trump-hatred.

But back to the subject; the rapid resolution of the Covid-19 crises spoils a lot of social change for a lot of entitled people.

Last edited by jbgusa; 04-07-2020 at 07:54 AM..

Old 04-07-2020, 07:54 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
That doesn't line-up with ANY other testing done, though. How do you address that?
There have been many individual case reports of people “feeling a lot better” a day after starting Plaquenil treatment. Anecdotal, I know. I think a lot of it depends on the timing in taking the drug. If the viral load is low, the Plaquenil’s effect on viral replication will be more dramatic than if the viral load is high when you start the drug. In other words, the sooner you start the drug after the beginning of symptoms, the better the drug will work.

Why do I believe this? The drug Tamiflu, also works by blocking the replication of the virus. In this case, the influenza virus. We have known for years, that Tamiflu, taken early works a lot better than when it is taken late. This is because these drugs do not kill the virus, they only slow down the replication of it. When the viral load is already high, you already have enough of the virus in the system to maintain the illness, plus, and more importantly, slowing down viral replication in someone that already has a lot of virus, still means a lot of replication is still going on, even at the slower rate, making it a lot less effective. If you slow down the viral replication when the viral load is low, it can virtually stop the replication in its tracks.

The link, is to a “natural health” website, which is something I always take with a grain of salt, and often, a whole shaker of salt. But they are right about one thing in the article. When zinc enters the cell, it blocks the RNA polymerase enzyme, necessary for the virus to replicate. Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) directs the body’s zinc, from outside the cell to enter inside the cell. What do people take for a cold? Vitamin C and Zinc. Does taking exogenous (from the outside) zinc supplements make much of a difference compared to the endogenous (already inside) zinc in the body? I don’t know. But in small doses, it doesn’t hurt. Zinc can deplete the body of other minerals, so more is not necessarily better, but taking 50mg a day or less in an adult sized person, is considered very safe.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:28 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
There have been many individual case reports of people “feeling a lot better” a day after starting Plaquenil treatment. Anecdotal, I know. I think a lot of it depends on the timing in taking the drug. If the viral load is low, the Plaquenil’s effect on viral replication will be more dramatic than if the viral load is high when you start the drug. In other words, the sooner you start the drug after the beginning of symptoms, the better the drug will work.

Why do I believe this? The drug Tamiflu, also works by blocking the replication of the virus. In this case, the influenza virus. We have known for years, that Tamiflu, taken early works a lot better than when it is taken late. This is because these drugs do not kill the virus, they only slow down the replication of it. When the viral load is already high, you already have enough of the virus in the system to maintain the illness, plus, and more importantly, slowing down viral replication in someone that already has a lot of virus, still means a lot of replication is still going on, even at the slower rate, making it a lot less effective. If you slow down the viral replication when the viral load is low, it can virtually stop the replication in its tracks.

The link, is to a “natural health” website, which is something I always take with a grain of salt, and often, a whole shaker of salt. But they are right about one thing in the article. When zinc enters the cell, it blocks the RNA polymerase enzyme, necessary for the virus to replicate. Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) directs the body’s zinc, from outside the cell to enter inside the cell. What do people take for a cold? Vitamin C and Zinc. Does taking exogenous (from the outside) zinc supplements make much of a difference compared to the endogenous (already inside) zinc in the body? I don’t know. But in small doses, it doesn’t hurt. Zinc can deplete the body of other minerals, so more is not necessarily better, but taking 50mg a day or less in an adult sized person, is considered very safe.
Right, and I agree.

However the claim is that every single patient has gone from "very ill" to "symptom free" in less than 12 hrs.

That doesn't jive with any other published "studies" that I'm aware of. Did I miss something?

Old 04-07-2020, 08:31 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
This is more anecdotal evidence, so one does not really know its broader application.
For instance they may well be an ER doc, or many docs, out there that have tried this and/or other combinations without success, or with serious side effects or worsening of the patients. And of course all that goes unreported.

However, when things are looking bad for patients, these look to be relatively simple cheap and easy remedies.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:34 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
And we have actual Dr's who are qualified to assess the risks and determine an appropriate dose in conjunction with the patient.

I can just imagine if craigiri were unlucky enough to be infected. "I refuse to take a chance on this drug to save my life, come back to me in 3 years once the controlled studies are finalised".
i think he should sign a document stating such. surely he'd jump at the chance, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies