Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 12:59 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Preppers FINALLY get a chance to gloat.
Well... yea. Lol. Kinda hard not to. After being labeled as nut cases and being told it will never happen by so many people who are now wishing they had put up a can of Spam and some mustard. As I sit down to good chow and dont have to go anywhere for quite a while needs be.

I dont wanna gloat. Thats... unseemly. But....toldja.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 01:08 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the scenario preppers have warned about. The hardcore off-grid ones anyway.

It was quite easy for me to prepare myself for this event while living a "non-prepper" lifestyle in greater L.A. If you simply lived within your means and acted rationally there was no reason to be one of the morons getting stabbed in Costco over water or tp.

Then again, even that is hard for most people...apparently.

Old 03-20-2020, 01:10 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
This is why we prep. We were ready
I haven't prepped and I have not been in long lines either. So do I win a prize or just get labeled a hoarder -- lol

Old 03-20-2020, 02:04 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
There is no point arguing with these people. If it happening to them it’s happening everywhere.
It’s a self fulfilling prophecy for them. As ancient response as civilization itself.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:06 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
LOL - Fruit and Veg is hardly prepping, and my local shops are fine, it's mainly big supermarkets and places like Costco that tend to attract panic buyers.

Large Supermarkets have now brought in measures restricting certain itels to three per customer.
I saw her rant already. That nurse shouldn't be able to cut in line in front of other people, just because she's a nurse. Many people in healthcare earn far less money than she does, but are taking the same health risks that she is. Not only that, but because she has a decent salary, she can afford to buy in bulk, whereas people who earn far less money can only buy a little at a time. I do not feel sorry for her.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:06 PM

6,995 posts, read 2,709,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not really a prepper, haven't been in any lines yet. Grocery store was pretty normal last time I went on Sunday which is when I do my normal shopping aside from some minor inconveniences. I couldn't get my preferred brand of eggs or milk as they were sold out but they had eggs and milk. That's not exactly uncommon though. At least once a month that happens. It's a busy store so if I get there later in the day than normal it's pretty common for the eggs and milk to be sold out. Bread selection was limited but they had bread, including the one I usually get. There was no toilet paper but I won't have a problem there for several weeks. Even then it's not like there aren't alternatives. I have plenty of newspaper, just means more trips taking the garbage out. Hell, if I get desperate there's this thing called rags that you can use and a bucket with a lead. I'm really not looking forward to that but it's not the end of the world. Pretty sure it won't get there. By the time I run out of TP all the people hording it will already have horded a stash and it will be back in stock.
I live in Northern Virginia. I have multiple grocery stores within 5 miles of my house. All are been wiped out of frozen food, pasta, canned goods, etc.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:25 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I will admit this was a pretty good one by you. But it may be a surprise to know how many seemingly mild-mannered liberals are packing heat or at least have some at home. If they tried to come for my guns, I'd resist as hard as any right-wing gun nut. Not that anyone is ever going to come for our guns, unless they're military weapons that fire 30 rounds per second and they've been taken out and used.
LOL It was all in fun.

If The country goes into anarchy, no individuals will last long. You can only hide inside a bunker so long. That and far too many peppers like to brag that they are peppers. Everyone will know where the "low hanging fruit is." Gangs would dominate the civilized folks. You either join meaning accept being enslaved or die.

Man is man. Look no further than Haiti, Somalia, Serbia, etc. They all show us what will happen if a government collapses.

I have several liberal friends. 2 are Karate instructors, 1 is an ex marine. LOL. I agree with you. They would be no w\easy mark. LOL

Old 03-20-2020, 05:33 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Preppers are a frustrated lot. They don't want to see civilization collapse, yet all their efforts are in vain if it doesn't.

So they clean their guns, count their ammo, and keep stocking a pantry that is overflowing, all while preaching doom and gloom.
LOL You aren't wrong. Those guys have a romantic notion of surviving an apocalypse and being the new king of the hill.

Imagine investing so heavily in the collapse of civilization. It becomes your obsession. You are almost willing it to happen every waking moment, because if it doesn't then all your neighbors are right about you. You are a doomsday nut and a fool.

I know a couple preppers. They aren't like the whack jobs on TV, but they are heavily invested. They both have bunkers, faraday cages for electrical equipment and electronics. One has over 30,000 rounds of 22 long rifle. The new currency he insists...

I helped them both build their houses and bunkers. They wanted to help me build a bunker. I declined. You know what was sad? How they would look at me and tell me how they were going to m its me, and they meant it.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:41 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
LOL You aren't wrong. Those guys have a romantic notion of surviving an apocalypse and being the new king of the hill.

Imagine investing so heavily in the collapse of civilization. It becomes your obsession. You are almost willing it to happen every waking moment, because if it doesn't then all your neighbors are right about you. You are a doomsday nut and a fool.

I know a couple preppers. They aren't like the whack jobs on TV, but they are heavily invested. They both have bunkers, faraday cages for electrical equipment and electronics. One has over 30,000 rounds of 22 long rifle. The new currency he insists...

I helped them both build their houses and bunkers. They wanted to help me build a bunker. I declined. You know what was sad? How they would look at me and tell me how they were going to m its me, and they meant it.
Hey bone, not sure what they told you in that last sentence, seems to have missed a letter or two.

I don't think those who prepare for any emergency, be it war, famine, pestilence, disease, The Four Horseman (redundant?) is a whack job, I think it is very smart to be prepared and I applaud those who have done so, I really do. I like being prepared myself, and I can't remember the last time my electricity went out and stayed out for more than 4 hours in the 20+ years I've lived here, but when I put an addition on my house, I made sure it was wired for a generator, and have a brand new generator with a 50 ft. cable that I can run all night in my garage in a torrential downpour and can power my house if need be. Little things like that are good to do, and I keep gasoline and water in my garage as well.

But the folks who purchase 30,000 rounds of ammo, or like someone I know who has a gun safe of over 20 rifles and shelves with boxes and boxes of ammo, and is a "prepper" himself, these people are always a little "off" to me, and I'm not specifically referring to "preppers" here, just those with an inordinate amount of guns and ammo. They believe in all kinds of conspiracies, practically worship a dullard like Trump, and sit back and almost root for societal collapse so that their fevered conspiracies come true.

I tend to avoid these people as much as humanly possible, finding them toxic and unpleasant to be around, but that's just me. I have a rifle and a pistol and plenty of ammo myself, but don't feel the need to stockpile anything, as I'm not planning on an extended firefight with black helmeted United Nations soldiers trying to confiscate my supplies.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:27 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Pasta
TP
Dog food
Masks
Bullets
Water
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
How many home invaders have you made dead with the bullets?

One thing about being a prepper, you don't ever want anyone else to know about it. Because when things go south, they would know who to visit to get what they need. You don't invite your neighbors in and boast about your many barrels of rice and beans, or all the other stockpiles you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies