Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 09:41 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times

Advertisements

Why people need to stop hoarding. So I'll give credit to preppers for not panic buying.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XzdRs9LPj2M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 09:44 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
In 2016 I got into survival prepping. And I am reaping the benefits now. I have let it slide a little but it was always in the back of my head. I have enough supplies to last 60 days. I also feel like I have more "leads" of place likely to have supplies but most people wouldn't know about.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:47 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
so in you area (wherever you live) has no shortage on TP, hand sanitizers, nonperishable food? Do you live in boonie like Blythe or Hemet? Maybe you don't experience all that because you live in a "reddest part of the bluest state"
I live in the middle of NYC, and there is nothing like that. All the stores are well-stocked with food and supplies.

Also, I have family in Orange County, CA (Newport Beach area) and it is the same there. Food/supplies are the least of everyone's worries.

Just because there are some idiots that went crazy for TP at Costco last week doesn't mean there are larger issues with the supply chain.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:47 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,596,290 times
also, if you live in CA and you think preppers are some kind of right wing nutjobs, then you are dumb anyway.

CA is prone to earthquakes and we don't know when (not if but when) the big one hits. You need to be prepared.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-21-2020 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: language

Old 03-20-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I live in the middle of NYC, and there is nothing like that. All the stores are well-stocked with food and supplies.

Also, I have family in Orange County, CA (Newport Beach area) and it is the same there. Food/supplies are the least of everyone's worries.

Just because there are some idiots that went crazy for TP at Costco last week doesn't mean there are larger issues with the supply chain.
oh, that's sweet that you have family in OC.

I actually live here all my life (albeit it's not OC, but Torrance is not that far from OC). Do you think i'm making all this up?

Old 03-20-2020, 09:51 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
Quote:
so in you area (wherever you live) has no shortage on TP, hand sanitizers, nonperishable food? Do you live in boonie like Blythe or Hemet? Maybe you don't experience all that because you live in a "reddest part of the bluest state"

I live in Torrance, CA

videos can tell a million words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8qJupxxfas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UokNZPLfnhI
Redding. I don’t consider having to drive to a second store a national emergency. But by all means, keep your panic on.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:54 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the so-called "preppers" weren't just as frantic as many others, trying to stock up on even more goods. The behavioral traits that drive them to be preppers or hoarders in the first place, might be magnified.
I doubt that. Preppers at least know how to cook their own food, make bread, etc. unlike most people in American society.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Redding. I don’t consider having to drive to a second store a national emergency. But by all means, keep your panic on.
who said i'm panicking? My supplies will last my family for 3 months.

The people who are panicking right now are the same one who dissed on preppers. Now they are waiting in line at Costco to buy toilet papers or canned food while inhaling germs from other shoppers

Old 03-20-2020, 09:56 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
oh, that's sweet that you have family in OC.

I actually live here all my life (albeit it's not OC, but Torrance is not that far from OC). Do you think i'm making all this up?
If your claim is that supermarkets have bare shelves, then yes, I do believe you're making it up, or massively ill-informed. I bought meat, fresh produce and other foodstuffs yesterdays, same as always.

There is no place in Orange County (or anywhere in the U.S.) where the supermarkets have been ransacked, which doesn't even make sense. Why would the virus make it harder for delivery trucks to access destinations? Why would people be eating more Cheerios?

Just because there's some video of idiot buying 1000 rolls of TP at Costco doesn't mean Costco lacks food.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:57 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I doubt that. Preppers at least know how to cook their own food, make bread, etc. unlike most people in American society.
Why, because only people of a certain mindset are to some degree self reliant? The rest of us will roll into the fetal position if we can’t order Starbucks?

The arrogance is unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies