Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 821 times

Advertisements

They're saying the worst-case outcome is that 2.something million Americans die. Note: that is worst-case. So that assumes, for example, that we don't develop a cure or vaccine or herd immunity or ramp up health care system to deal with number of cases in the meantime.

This makes no sense. American society didn't shut down during the Civil War, World War I & II, the Spanish Influenza. Substantial chunks of the population were wiped out and this didn't shut down society. Didn't mentality back then, I guess.

This is the first time in American history where we decided through government policy to shut down the economy. Yes, the economy crashed many times (e.g. Great Depression and Financial Crisis of 2007), but those weren't self-imposed.

This is absolutely crazy.

And yes, I am scared of COVID-19. Mother Nature is scary. But in terms of health fears, this ranks maybe 1,000th on my list, well behind cancers, diabetes types 1 & 2, epilepsy, liver disease, kidney disease, bowl obstructions, concussions, atrial fibrillation, STDs, alczheimers, Parkinsons, etc.

Let's face it. COVID-19 won't disappear. Ever. In fact, few diseases have ever been truly "cured." Diabetes is a death sentence; the closest thing we have to a solution is a super-expensive way to mitigate the effects through daily medical treatment.

Now we know that new diseases can materialize and spread rapidly without symptoms. The next Coronavirus-family flu could already have infected half the population. Until they come up with a catch-all flu vaccine (which will still never be 100% effective), you better pray to God that your body can handle the dozens of flus that will attack it over your lifetime. And if you're alive reading this, it's likely that your body already was infected with COVID-19 and thankfully fought it off.

One of my grandfathers died at a young age of a heart attack from an infectious disease that spread around the U.S. and destroyed heart valves of its victims. Now that's scary! You think COVID-19 is scary because in very rare cases of fit individuals it can causes lung damage which lasts 12 years? lol. At least you have 2 lungs and only need 1 and you have a chance of totally recovering.

It looks like the number of deaths from COVID-19 in the U.S. will almost certainly be less than the average annual flu. But let's suppose it's slightly more, and reachs 100k (unlikely). Imagine if the news never mentioned COVID-19 and instead reported: "In 2020, the number of Americans who died from disease increased 3% from previous year." No one would bat an eye. The stock market would be unaffected.

This is just another example of how the media is mind-controlling the entire nation. Maybe it was done as an experiment just so the dying cable news networks could test whether they still control the population?

Old 03-21-2020, 03:52 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,766,996 times
Quote:

This is just another example of how the media is mind-controlling the entire nation. Maybe it was done as an experiment just so the dying cable news networks could test whether they still control the population?
Actually I Think it’s to tank the economy with fear mongering to bring President Trump down!

Old 03-21-2020, 03:55 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Actually I Think it’s to tank the economy to bring President Trump down!
You should wait a few more minutes before you reply to a thread you started with an alternate account.

So now you know...and knowing is half the battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc

Old 03-21-2020, 04:01 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Money or health/ life?? Not all will die - but it’s a bug from hell and many get extremely ill. Keep counting your pennies. Stop with the political garbage

Old 03-21-2020, 04:04 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussman View Post
They're saying the worst-case outcome is that 2.something million Americans die. Note: that is worst-case. So that assumes, for example, that we don't develop a cure or vaccine or herd immunity or ramp up health care system to deal with number of cases in the meantime.

This makes no sense. American society didn't shut down during the Civil War, World War I & II, the Spanish Influenza. Substantial chunks of the population were wiped out and this didn't shut down society. Didn't mentality back then, I guess.

This is the first time in American history where we decided through government policy to shut down the economy. Yes, the economy crashed many times (e.g. Great Depression and Financial Crisis of 2007), but those weren't self-imposed.

This is absolutely crazy.

And yes, I am scared of COVID-19. Mother Nature is scary. But in terms of health fears, this ranks maybe 1,000th on my list, well behind cancers, diabetes types 1 & 2, epilepsy, liver disease, kidney disease, bowl obstructions, concussions, atrial fibrillation, STDs, alczheimers, Parkinsons, etc.

Let's face it. COVID-19 won't disappear. Ever. In fact, few diseases have ever been truly "cured." Diabetes is a death sentence; the closest thing we have to a solution is a super-expensive way to mitigate the effects through daily medical treatment.

Now we know that new diseases can materialize and spread rapidly without symptoms. The next Coronavirus-family flu could already have infected half the population. Until they come up with a catch-all flu vaccine (which will still never be 100% effective), you better pray to God that your body can handle the dozens of flus that will attack it over your lifetime. And if you're alive reading this, it's likely that your body already was infected with COVID-19 and thankfully fought it off.

One of my grandfathers died at a young age of a heart attack from an infectious disease that spread around the U.S. and destroyed heart valves of its victims. Now that's scary! You think COVID-19 is scary because in very rare cases of fit individuals it can causes lung damage which lasts 12 years? lol. At least you have 2 lungs and only need 1 and you have a chance of totally recovering.

It looks like the number of deaths from COVID-19 in the U.S. will almost certainly be less than the average annual flu. But let's suppose it's slightly more, and reachs 100k (unlikely). Imagine if the news never mentioned COVID-19 and instead reported: "In 2020, the number of Americans who died from disease increased 3% from previous year." No one would bat an eye. The stock market would be unaffected.

The point of all this is to avoid crashing the medical system. If we just blew this virus off not only would a lot more people would die... the crashing of the medical system would have blown up the stock market.

In the long run the stock market will find a new normal and will come back somewhat during this slow down. Who knows what would have happened to the stock market if we were stacking sick people in the halls at all our hospitals for weeks on end.

In the long run the strategy we are using will have a better outcome for the economy.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Money or health/ life?? Not all will die - but it’s a bug from hell and many get extremely ill. Keep counting your pennies. Stop with the political garbage
This is about politics.

One of the reasons the media is trying to freak people out is in hopes of Trump losing in November.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:05 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
Worst case scenario is around 2 million dead here in the USA alone.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:06 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,980,049 times
One must not be narrow minded in order to truly understand the severity of this situation. I am actually surprised that so many adults cannot comprehend the consequences of this pandemic. Death rate does not scratch the surface.

Last edited by lisanicole1; 03-21-2020 at 04:43 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 04:07 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The point of all this is to avoid crashing the medical system. If we just blew this virus off not only would a lot more people would die... the crashing of the medical system would have blown up the stock market.

In the long run the stock market will find a new normal and will come back somewhat during this slow down. Who knows what would have happened to the stock market if we were stacking sick people in the halls at all our hospitals for weeks on end.

In the long run the strategy we are using will have a better outcome for the economy.
Each flu season there is the POTENTIAL hundreds of thousands of US citizens COULD die, but we don't shut down the economy each flu season.

This is being done as yet another attempt to remove Trump.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:08 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Actually I Think it’s to tank the economy with fear mongering to bring President Trump down!
And Canada, UK, Ireland, Italy, France, Portugal, Spain, China, Japan, South Korea etc etc etc are in on that too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies