Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 04:31 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,980,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Exactly. My state has 145 hospitals. Lets say each hospital has 50 beds available. That is 8000 beds.

Right now there are 60 people hospitalized in the state.

The hospitalizations do not stay static. People get better. So every day this goes on, people get better and leave the hospital.

Lets assume hospitalizations double each week for the next 8 weeks and NO one gets better -480 well within our ability.

Notice no one every does any detail on what the Italy care system has by the numbers?

So what did these hospitals do BEFORE Coronavirus? These beds just sat empty? LOL... Seriously. You do understand that people are having strokes, cancer, flu, heart attacks, car accidents, overdoses etc etc etc … ITs not JUST CORONAVIRUS. ITs the cumulative. The extra 20% that our system was not set up to handle... that could put the hospitals over the edge.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:34 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Right now in Boston they are setting up university campuses to act as field hospitals.

You know, like they do for the flu.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:36 PM

29,830 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
So what did these hospitals do BEFORE Coronavirus? These beds just sat empty? LOL... Seriously. You do understand that people are having strokes, cancer, flu, heart attacks, car accidents, overdoses etc etc etc … ITs not JUST CORONAVIRUS. ITs the cumulative. The extra 20% that our system was not set up to handle... that could put the hospitals over the edge.

They will set up tents and beds outside if necessary. Not everything shuts down over one new disease. People are capable of adapting and figuring out solutions. Panicking is counterproductive to this.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:37 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
They will set up tents and beds outside if necessary. Not everything shuts down over one new disease. People are capable of adapting and figuring out solutions. Panicking is counterproductive to this.
What are the temps where you are? Here, the overnight low will be 27.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephariel View Post
I am sorry, so you are saying that if you are the head of a state, someone told you you will end up like JFK, unless you shut down the nation, you will shut down the nation? Your nation is worth more than your life. If Trump is actually that much of a coward, why are you supporting him as president?

Or maybe, looking at Italy, China, South Korea, Spain...we should be taking this threat seriously? Are they faking their deaths to bring Trump down too?

Even if it is 0.5% of the population, that is over 1 million people. How do you explain you just let those people die? Why do you tell those families?
Nobody is faking deaths.

.5% is not worth shutting down civilization and ushering in the great depression no matter how you twist it. We've dealt with rouge viruses in the past successfully without resorting to such desperate measures. And if the virus is so contagious that millions are going to get it (or everyone in America as you are trying to say), than there is no stopping it no matter what we do, and the death rates you project are going to happen irregardless.

I would rather have 1 million dead and a booming economy vs 1 million dead and a great depression, famines, etc. Our response and the damage done is going to kill far more people around the world than the virus, by the looks of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
What are the temps where you are? Here, the overnight low will be 27.
We are not living in the stone age. They can provide heat.

Are tents ideal? Of course not! But that's part of dealing with a pandemic. If it's the best we have to offer at the time, due to limited resources, than people are going to have to make due. Don't like it, go find better care elsewhere.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:38 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussman View Post
They're saying the worst-case outcome is that 2.something million Americans die. Note: that is worst-case. So that assumes, for example, that we don't develop a cure or vaccine or herd immunity or ramp up health care system to deal with number of cases in the meantime.

This makes no sense. American society didn't shut down during the Civil War, World War I & II, the Spanish Influenza. Substantial chunks of the population were wiped out and this didn't shut down society. Didn't mentality back then, I guess.

This is the first time in American history where we decided through government policy to shut down the economy. Yes, the economy crashed many times (e.g. Great Depression and Financial Crisis of 2007), but those weren't self-imposed.

This is absolutely crazy.

And yes, I am scared of COVID-19. Mother Nature is scary. But in terms of health fears, this ranks maybe 1,000th on my list, well behind cancers, diabetes types 1 & 2, epilepsy, liver disease, kidney disease, bowl obstructions, concussions, atrial fibrillation, STDs, alczheimers, Parkinsons, etc.

Let's face it. COVID-19 won't disappear. Ever. In fact, few diseases have ever been truly "cured." Diabetes is a death sentence; the closest thing we have to a solution is a super-expensive way to mitigate the effects through daily medical treatment.

Now we know that new diseases can materialize and spread rapidly without symptoms. The next Coronavirus-family flu could already have infected half the population. Until they come up with a catch-all flu vaccine (which will still never be 100% effective), you better pray to God that your body can handle the dozens of flus that will attack it over your lifetime. And if you're alive reading this, it's likely that your body already was infected with COVID-19 and thankfully fought it off.

One of my grandfathers died at a young age of a heart attack from an infectious disease that spread around the U.S. and destroyed heart valves of its victims. Now that's scary! You think COVID-19 is scary because in very rare cases of fit individuals it can causes lung damage which lasts 12 years? lol. At least you have 2 lungs and only need 1 and you have a chance of totally recovering.

It looks like the number of deaths from COVID-19 in the U.S. will almost certainly be less than the average annual flu. But let's suppose it's slightly more, and reachs 100k (unlikely). Imagine if the news never mentioned COVID-19 and instead reported: "In 2020, the number of Americans who died from disease increased 3% from previous year." No one would bat an eye. The stock market would be unaffected.

This is just another example of how the media is mind-controlling the entire nation. Maybe it was done as an experiment just so the dying cable news networks could test whether they still control the population?
I totally agree with you. We are destroying our economy and the American worker over this when only a small percentage of Americans will die from this?

Old 03-21-2020, 04:38 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Oh don't worry *I* can't get near my doctors office as they have cancelled EVERYTHING BUT corona virus. I can't get a dentist, see my doctor or get a single test.

In my hypo I made it clear that each hospital has 50 extra beds. Of course they have *SOME* beds available at all times. It is ridiculous to think they are full up with emergencies 24-7.

Quote:
Right now in Boston they are setting up university campuses to act as field hospitals.
A severe overreaction considering there are 60 people total hospitalized over this in the entire state. Call me when these are all full. Not when you keep saying that "could" happen.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Tell that to China, Italy, and Spain. Those countries have thousands dead and basically locked down their entire nations.

Tell them that they are panicking and should let people die instead.

First off, just Italy but I love the way you ignore that this is NOT WORKING. They post insane numbers every day of new infections and deaths. So lock down doesn't work.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
That is like saying, we shouldn't evacuate an entire school because of a bomb threat. Who cares if 20 students die? The others need more education.
No it isn't. It would be more like we need to cut off all 50,000 student's arms to save 20 students lives.

The people who say, how do you measure worth, um.. I seem to have no problems doing so. It isn't worth it.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
So imagine how bad it could be if you don't have a lock down. Are you even thinking right now?

Italy have 50K+ cases. How many cases do you think there will be if there isn't a lock down?

LOL, I love how all lefty scenarios require you to "use your imagination"...

How about dealing with reality as it is for a change, like the rest of the grown ups

Quote:
Again, how do you measure "worth." Are you telling China it is not worth to save thousands? Are you telling the Italians it is not worth it to save thousands?

That is like saying, we shouldn't evacuate an entire school because of a bomb threat. Who cares if 20 students die? The others need more education.

The Chicoms didn't think it was worth dealing with at first. They did decide human lives were not valuable enough to risk interfering with their economy and way of life. Very poor example you decided to use. Human life has very little value over there.

As someone else pointed out, Italy went full lock down, and their death rates are skyrocketing every day it seems. The mortality rate is higher there than anywhere else from what I understand.

And no, this is nothing like a bomb threat. You are obviously in a state of panic and hysterical. People exercise terrible judgement in such a state of mind. Perhaps you should try meditating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies