Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 12:16 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
See? There's that word again, "Possibility". Or might, or could. But so far nothing of extreme alarm has arisen. 320 deaths, big deal! In 2018 we had close to a million hospitalizations and 50,000 deaths from the flu! And we didn't shut down the country over that! I repeat, something stinks about this whole sordid affair!

Wait till they learn that an asteroid might or could crash into the earth someday and exterminate the human species... It fact, it's a pretty much a certainty that it will happen someday. But we know some of our lefty friends have been rooting for that long before the virus became a concern... You know, because an asteroid wiping out the whole human race would prevent Trump from being reelected

Old 03-22-2020, 12:20 AM

8,244 posts, read 3,497,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
Um, dude. Check your math again.
I just did it on a calculator. I get 0.01230792307.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post

Move the decimal place over a couple places to the right. And there will be more on the way, as some of those infected now won't make it. But it has a long ways to go before it is deemed a "super virus" as many are calling it to create fear and hysteria.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:56 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,486,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
This is about politics.

One of the reasons the media is trying to freak people out is in hopes of Trump losing in November.
It will have the opposite effect. Coronavirus will fade toward end of summer and he will come out of this stronger than ever. During tough times, people rally around the president, which will allow him to easily win in November, so I don't believe it's about Trump.

On another note, I believe Trump was presented with two scenarios, let it rip vs. flatten the curve. Letting it rip would have resulted in chaos and dead bodies in the streets. While the economy would have remained fairly strong, the nonstop images of bodies in the streets and loved ones in tears would have been a sure path to lose the election. I believe Trump being a businessman would have preferred the route that best preserved the economy, but he sees the higher importance of remaining in office for 4 more years so he opted to take the path of flatten the curve.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:59 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
That would be 1.2%.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:01 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
No I don't. Take a look at this:

According to an estimate by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there were approximately 45 million cases of the flu in the United States during the 2017-2018 influenza season, resulting in an estimated 810,000 flu-associated hospitalizations and an estimated 61,000 flu-associated deaths.Feb 26, 2020

Now did those 810,000 hospitalizations crash our hospital system????
That is hospitalizations, not ICU only. Also, that is a season, several months, not just a short period of a few months.

Now, imagine millions of people needing ICU all at once.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:19 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,152 times
Quote:
See? There's that word again, "Possibility". Or might, or could. But so far nothing of extreme alarm has arisen. 320 deaths, big deal! In 2018 we had close to a million hospitalizations and 50,000 deaths from the flu! And we didn't shut down the country over that! I repeat, something stinks about this whole sordid affair!
Big deal? I would not want to die, right now from a virus that is circling the globe. Some scientists and doctors are saying that we may also find a cure for the "common flu."

Are you even aware of what is happening in Italy and some other countries? I hate people telling me to stay home; but that is where we are at right now.

What would you do if you were in charge of a pandemic? A disease that is so new, no one had an idea of where to begin.

Yeah, something stinks about this whole sordid affair and it is Covid-19. Let the scientists and doctors come up with a cure and a vaccination, just like polio, measles and all the horrible disease of the world.

Possibly, find more cures for cancer and heart disease. What do you say????

Old 03-22-2020, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Big deal? I would not want to die, right now from a virus that is circling the globe.

When it's your time, what you want is irrelevant. To live is to die. It's one of life's few guarantees. Expecting the world to stop over your irrational fear is, quite literally, irrational. The mortality rate people keep throwing around (it is changing constantly) is quite relatively low compared to real super viruses. 1-2% mortality rate is no reason to shut all modern life down. This is not even close to being a "super virus" as some have been hyping it up to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
That is hospitalizations, not ICU only. Also, that is a season, several months, not just a short period of a few months.

Now, imagine millions of people needing ICU all at once.

I notice almost all of those who argue that we need to bring on a great depression to stop this virus like to tell people to "imagine" or "use your imagination". No. How about you deal with reality as it is today, and exercise sound judgement of what to do going forward. It's not enough just to criticize everything Trump does. It is doing nothing to help in this situation.

How about learning to sew and making some face masks? I hear the hospitals can use all the help they can get.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:35 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,092 times
Quote:
No I don't. Take a look at this:

According to an estimate by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there were approximately 45 million cases of the flu in the United States during the 2017-2018 influenza season, resulting in an estimated 810,000 flu-associated hospitalizations and an estimated 61,000 flu-associated deaths.Feb 26, 2020

Now did those 810,000 hospitalizations crash our hospital system????
We don't even have something so basic as enough facemasks for healthcare workers!! There aren't even enough tests to figure out if you even have covid19! We are already overwhelmed and we aren't even at defcon 2 yet. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
We don't even have something so basic as enough facemasks for healthcare workers!! There aren't even enough tests to figure out if you even have covid19! We are already overwhelmed and we aren't even at defcon 2 yet. You have no idea what you're talking about.

So you agree. Shutting down the economy is a terrible idea. We need to ramp up the economy and start producing millions of these items as soon as possible. 350 million face masks will be needed, at minimum, a day, so that everyone can have one. You have an awful lot of work ahead of you!

We could buy those masks from China... For $2 a piece! Do the math... The service economy is not going to sustain us and power us through this crisis. We need to reshore USA manufacturing base, yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies