Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 08:17 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,771,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
Give it rest, just look at the reporting...Running short on medical supplies??? Really.

The US has 21000 cases spread out now over 2 1/2 months, if 10 percent required hospitalization, which the stats I have seen show 1-3 percent, but 10 percent would still only be an influx of 2,000 patients spread over a 2 month period. Our healthcare system doesn’t have enough supplies to handle this type of influx, Ecen with stopping all elective procedures, don’t they plan for this, or a natural disaster. I personally don’t buy into any of it.

It just doesn’t make any sense.
Hmm... it appears you have forgotten about exponents as in the virus is spreading exponentially.

I kindly suggest you dig up your high school algebra book and read up on exponents.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:20 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Hmm... it appears you have forgotten about exponents as in the virus is spreading exponentially.

I kindly suggest you dig up your high school algebra book and read up on exponents.

That's what viruses do and have always done, and they aren't going to stop behaving that way unless we all lock ourselves in a bubble for the next 6 months. And then you can be like Russia, as in, you'll have no economy and everyone will be poor. The life expectancy there is about 10 years lower than ours, with our vibrant, booming economy. At least, it was booming before the over the top fear mongering and subsequent panic set in.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:24 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Screw it, let's do what Dr fauci said, **** it, let's just let it rip through the population

God forbid our 401ks take a hit for awhile.....

Old 03-21-2020, 08:31 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Irrelevant. You just admitted some people are at work in spite of the lockdown. If that is true of grocery stores, it can also be true of factories making essential medical supplies.

So if it's ok for them to work, why not others? Somehow I don't think coronavirus distinguishes between essential and non-essential workers.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:31 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,461,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
That's what viruses do and have always done, and they aren't going to stop behaving that way unless we all lock ourselves in a bubble for the next 6 months. And then you can be like Russia, as in, you'll have no economy and everyone will be poor. The life expectancy there is about 10 years lower than ours, with our vibrant, booming economy. At least, it was booming before the over the top fear mongering and subsequent panic set in.
The economy was never "booming." The only thing that's booming is the debt. None of the problems from 2008 got solved. We were long overdue for a far worse crash, and the virus had merely sped up the process.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:40 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The economy was never "booming." The only thing that's booming is the debt. None of the problems from 2008 got solved. We were long overdue for a far worse crash, and the virus had merely sped up the process.
This is a good point.
The stock market has been propped up since 2008 and the fed has constantly been injecting free money into it. It is not sustainable. What are we on QE4 now? How about QE15, when does it stop? And this is Capitalism we pride ourselves on lol?

Old 03-21-2020, 08:41 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,623,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Yup. Like half the number of Americans who dies last year alone.

"According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there were 2,813,503 registered deaths in the United States in 2017."
I see. You have no problem with increasing American deaths by 50%.

Got it.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:42 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
This is a good point.
The stock market has been propped up since 2008 and the fed has constantly been injecting free money into it. It is not sustainable. What are we on QE4 now? How about QE15, when does it stop? And this is Capitalism we pride ourselves on lol?

Most people value the standard of living and income earning potential they have in the USA. They don't care what you call it, just as long as it affords them the life they want, the ability to live out their dreams and ambitions, etc. The reality is, the USA has a mixed economic system, not a purely capitalist system.

Last edited by andywire; 03-21-2020 at 09:09 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 08:48 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If you were told that you will end up like JFK if you don't play along... Who knows what has been said or done to make him change his mind completely, and so suddenly. Yes, Trump has a normal fear response to legitimate danger, like everyone else. And I believe he is fearful for reasons that extend far beyond this virus.

Guess we should have thought of that before we sent all our manufacturing overseas. I noticed the Chinese are not dropping creates of medical supplies to assist our medical staff with the Chinese virus. Instead, they are gifting them to the French to earn brownie points, and they are selling them to the USA for an extreme markup (or price gouging) to make a profit. But you choose to turn your anger towards the American people and call us irresponsible... For a virus the Chinese lied about and tried to cover up no less. You are the perfect Chicom asset. They probably don't even have to pay you.

And sorry, those medical staff signed up for this job and they knew the risks. In a hospital, you are expected to work around sick people. If there is a pandemic, where do sick people go? The hospital! Dealing with sick people is quite literally their job. Now is the time to be strong, not a drama queen.
You are so funny! No, really. It seems we’re in the presence of a genius here.

1. American capitalists sent most manufacturing to China because labor and costs are cheaper over there.

2. The US has very few friends in the world because Trump has insulted and damaged damn near every country in the world. Why would they be nice to the US?

3. Consider this: you get sick. It doesn’t have to be COVID-19. It could be an accident, a heart attack, exacerbation of COPD, a stroke, a GI bleed, etc. The medics take to the ER and you’re met by a couple of nurses and an ER tech who have been using the same mask and gown all day because they don’t have enough. So, now, you’re being looked after by people who could be contaminated with COVID-19. So, they’re doing their job without drama but covered in COVID-19 with which they will contaminate YOU.

But, you’re a patriot, right? So, you’re willing to take one for the team and DIE so the economy and the stock market remain high.

Did I tell you you’re a genius? Oh yes you are!

Last edited by EDnurse; 03-21-2020 at 09:03 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 08:49 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I see. You have no problem with increasing American deaths by 50%.

Got it.

That's not what I said, what I am saying is that we already endure 3 million dead per year without bodies rotting in the streets while economic activity grinds to a halt. Society can adapt to that, even a doubling of that. Society cannot adapt to a complete halt to the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies