Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 06:43 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Have you gone to the grocery store lately?

The grocery store does not produce these things. They have a limited supply of items they sell. When it's all gone and the producers don't have anymore to sell, tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Whose fault is that? You're saying that innocent people should die because irresponsible people go into debt and don't have the recommended 1 year's worth of savings?
No, Im saying we should not kill even more people by destroying the economy and making the world poorer. You are saying anyone who doesn't support the most extreme measures possible want people to die, which is disingenuous and downright hysterical.

Crashing the economy and causing 20% unemployment will lead to higher mortality from suicide, drug/alcohol use, possibly social unrest and food insecurity issues, and much, much more. Lefties aren't thinking this through... Or maybe they want these things to happen so they can blame it on Trump, like they did the crashing stock market caused by the virus and the reaction to it so far.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:45 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Actually I Think it’s to tank the economy with fear mongering to bring President Trump down!
The Leftists and their Lapdog Media caused this unwarranted Panic.
All to punish the Deplorables who elected Donald Trump.
There is nothing they would not do to get rid of him ....AND anyone who supports him.

I hope they choke on it.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:46 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
You raise compelling and valid questions and issues.

Re the bolded, I don't know, dman72.

But, we can sure try. The alternative is not an option, to me. In my way of thinking, we have to try anything we reasonably can to protect the lives of others. When and if it becomes a "it's-them-or-us" mindset, THAT"S when I will worry.
What happens when by protecting the lives of others by a certain means, you have civil unrest, chaos, and the breakdown of society that puts many more people at risk long term?

right now, nah, that ain't the situation.

Check back in 6 months if every restaurant is out of business, every nail salon, every retailer that doesn't sell food..every mall, every barber shop.

If we have a 24% contraction in the economy, which is what Goldman Sachs is projecting for Q2, well..we don't have a historical example of what could happen there. It's a total disaster.

A general lockdown is not a long term answer. 18 months until a vaccine...it won't work.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:46 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The grocery store does not produce these things. ...
Irrelevant. You just admitted some people are at work in spite of the lockdown. If that is true of grocery stores, it can also be true of factories making essential medical supplies.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
How do you produce more n95 masks, test kits, ventilators, and the many other things needed, by shutting down the economy? The lefties desired plan does nothing to help the production side of our economy. It actually harms it. These items were in short supply before states were contemplating a lockdown. So what do you think is going to happen when they start shutting everything down?
those are essential production companies. They don't shut down. I kinda know about that side of it.

Maybe let adults who aren't stuck in a stupid asinine partisan excrement throwing fest nonstop that you so enjoy discuss this very serious situation, andywire.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:49 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Quote:
A great depression will impact everyone. The crashing stock market has likely crushed seniors who have been forced into the risky stock market over the years. Me personally, I have experience significant loss in business and revenue. I can deal with that, but I know many people who cannot. Tons of people are maxed out on debt. They cannot even withstand a slight drop in business activity or income. It doesn't take much to push many people over the edge. Crashing economies are also associated with unrest, rise in disease, many other ugly things that kill one way or another.
I agree that a great depression (and if it happens it will be world wide) will impact nearly everyone. But I wonder if it would bring us back to some basic values that have been lost over the course of my lifetime. Like the old adage of saving for a rainy day (now called an emergency fund). Like not buying things until one has saved enough money. Like getting a fair day's wage for a fair day's work. Like helping each other.

These are the things I heard from my parents who grew up during the Great Depression. It has all been lost in favor of buy buy buy, everything on credit, something like 20% of our economy being based on entertainment. And the outsourcing of the manufacture of necessities to foreign countries.

The whole consumer based society is/was ready to break anyway. The virus is speeding it along no matter how we handle it. I would rather try to slow it down and save as many lives as possible, including the lives of our healthcare workers.

10,083 posts, read 14,463,858 times
Quote:
Trump should not have taken credit for the rising stock market. He invited this situation the minute he did that. All the lefties had to do after that was tank it to discredit him, and they succeeded at that.

Umm, I've been saying it has a hospitalization rate of 20% for a long time now. While also saying 80% of those infected do not become critical cases. This is not a super virus. Not with 80% thinking they have the flu or something, and around 1% of people who catch it dying. It seems we do not disagree on the facts, but how to interpret them and how to react.

This is pure media sensationalism designed to frighten viewers into plugging their brains into their television sets for hours of forced propaganda spoon feeding every day. You folks are going to get burned out at this rate. The reaction from the public is almost certainly going to be worse than the virus itself.
It's amazing to me how easy we are to control.

That's the scary part.

I have never seen such a level of panic and disinformation--I don't believe anyone really has. Social media is hurting in this situation, as-is the mainstream media of nonstop fear mongering, sensationalism, and daily panic inducing "body counts."

I think that's the part that is hitting home as well--that major companies, restaurants, bars, retail, schools, and travel/entertainment are affected, and mostly shutting down. This economy will go into a recession after this clears.

Trump may not get re-elected--the Democrat's and the left's dream scenario.

Everyone is sitting at home and tuning in to the news. That's a goldmine for desperate low-rated CNN.

It's all pretty fishy overall, and there's more to this story, for sure.

3,372 posts, read 1,568,290 times
At this point I think there are much more sinister agendas behind this "crisis." The news that the DOJ is trying to immediately suspend habeas corpus and due process (I just created on thread on this topic) and the Federal Reserve is trying to usher in a digital currency should have everyone VERY concerned. Never let a good crisis go to waste.........

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
those are essential production companies. They don't shut down. I kinda know about that side of it.

Maybe let adults who aren't stuck in a stupid asinine partisan excrement throwing fest nonstop that you so enjoy discuss this very serious situation, andywire.

And you think they don't depend on companies that are not considered essential?

Do you realize there have already been shortages of the materials needed to make the masks that are in such high demand?

In a serious situation, overreacting and messing with everything usually leads to compounding problems that become more and more difficult to manage as they snowball out of control. The last thing I want in a crisis is the government shutting down whatever they feel like tampering with, along with our lives. The results are never good when the government gets involved and behaves this way.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
LOL... Lefties clearly have their eyes on the prize
Again, people trying to have a non-partisan discussion and you keep adding rampant stupidity with your "lefty" crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies