Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 06:05 PM

8,236 posts, read 3,492,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Yes, well, some of us "old and sick" people would like to extend our lives as long as possible by avoiding getting the Covid-19 virus any way we can. If it takes staying in our homes for a lengthy amount of time, so be it. It's really easy to talk about people dying when they're other people, isn't it?
Then stay at home. If you know you are an at risk group then it's up to you to protect yourself. I don't see anyone saying you have to go anywhere. I'm in multiple at risk groups and I try to stay home as much as I can, but I don't think it's right for people to have to lose their jobs, homes, and freedom needlessly.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:06 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Pearl Harbor: 2,400 died, Dec. 7, 1941. The US proceeded to spend $4 trillion (in adjusted US dollars) turning the nation into a wartime economy to defeat Japan. That's a lot of money to spend over a few dead Americans. Now some people are whining about the impact on the economy because only 2-4 million Americans may die. My how times have changed.
I repped you because I got a laugh out of your absolutely horrendous analogy.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:06 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Do people realize how many Americans have compromised health? How many Americans are obese, diabetic, have cancer, have asthma, have hypertension, have kidney disease, or abuse drugs and alcohol?
Yes, I know that, but what's your point? My point was that healthy people survive the virus, and people with underlying conditions (or older, and the two overlap) are the ones who do not. It was in context with my suggestion that we should have quarantined the older people, and the people with underlying conditions, since THEY are the ones truly at risk, and let the healthy younger people continue to work, and spend. That way, we are protecting the vulnerable group without the necessity of destroying the economy.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:07 PM

2,400 posts, read 754,961 times
They have to contain it because they can’t control it and if it mutates again and becomes more deadly and affects more than just “old people” as you so kindly put it then we are truly screwed.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:07 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Do we just go ahead and let those people die anyway? Or do we at least make an attempt to save their lives, even if the odds are against it working?.
This isn't an attempt. This is hurting all the people so that the most sick and infirm can live slightly longer. It is immoral and based on a childish sense of right and wrong.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:09 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
This isn't an attempt. This is hurting all the people so that the most sick and infirm can live slightly longer. It is immoral and based on a childish sense of right and wrong.
IOW, you're saying we make no attempt to save those people and just let them die.

Got it.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:09 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
So what?

Do we just go ahead and let those people die anyway? Or do we at least make an attempt to save their lives, even if the odds are against it working?

I say we do the latter. Doing nothing and letting them die is surrender.
Sigh. I never said that. I said that people who are old and/or have underlying conditions are the ones who are dying, and thus THEY should be the ones quarantined. Then the working population, except for those who have an underlying condition, could continue to work, and our economy would not be destroyed.

Why not take more of this common-sense approach? Protect those in the vulnerable group, and let those not in the vulnerable group be able to continue with their jobs, and their ordinary lives. If you feel so strongly that NOBODY should die (or we should make the attempt that NOBODY should die), then why aren't you suggesting that we crash the economy every winter when the regular flu strikes?

Old 03-21-2020, 06:10 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
IOW, you're saying we make no attempt to save those people and just let them die.

Got it.

You believe that people who don't want to shut the economy down and bring on the great depression are saying we shouldn't do anything? No, we are saying be rational about it. Poverty is a killer. It is also associated with the rise of communicable infectious disease.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:10 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
1-3% of the world population was killed by ww2. USA did not do most of the heavily dying, and was involved in it later than most of the world. Irregardless, the world moved on and enjoyed a period of relative peace and prosperity. To live is to die. That is a fact.

So, bring on the great depression because there are not enough ventilators to go around How is making everyone poorer going to solve this problem and how do we fix this problem going forward???
Have you personally been laid off? Are you working from home? How about your family and friends? Do you know anyone who has the virus? Even a friend of a friend?

Just curious to know where you are coming from.

I am retired. I have medical conditions. Have been home for 3 weeks with the exception of 3 brief outings for necessities. There are 22 Corona virus cases in my immediate area -- here in the low populated area of VT. Two of my friends were quarantined for 2 weeks because one of those Corona cases came to their church. It is very real to me.

The economy will recover. It always does. Friends and family will help each other to get through this. We Americans are a hard working bunch of people.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:11 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Why not take more of this common-sense approach? Protect those in the vulnerable group, and let those not in the vulnerable group be able to continue with their jobs, and their ordinary lives. If you feel so strongly that NOBODY should die (or we should make the attempt that NOBODY should die), then why aren't you suggesting that we crash the economy every winter when the regular flu strikes?
Obviously what they want is to get free time off and then, when they have no money, demand that the government pay them (with my money) for their losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies