Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 07:02 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The grocery store does not produce these things. They have a limited supply of items they sell. When it's all gone and the producers don't have anymore to sell, tough.

No, Im saying we should not kill even more people by destroying the economy and making the world poorer. You are saying anyone who doesn't support the most extreme measures possible want people to die, which is disingenuous and downright hysterical.

Crashing the economy and causing 20% unemployment will lead to higher mortality from suicide, drug/alcohol use, possibly social unrest and food insecurity issues, and much, much more. Lefties aren't thinking this through... Or maybe they want these things to happen so they can blame it on Trump, like they did the crashing stock market caused by the virus and the reaction to it so far.
Lefties allll over the world? I said our American trumpettes be the ones fighting shutting down to avoid contact - more than any other nation on earth.
Not all listen around the world - but some are up on our soap boxes screaming about our rights and our money !! Who cares if another dies! Shame/

Old 03-21-2020, 07:04 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I saw an estimate that a shutdown til July would cost us $4 Trillion. For a couple hundred Billion we could make a respirator for every person.
IF we had the manufacturing capacity to make more ventilators (not respirators). They are complex machines and only a handful of companies have the facilities to make them.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:12 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Can we please keep the lefties/righties slurs out of this discussion. So far we are having a good dialogue without that.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:16 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You mean like grandparents living with their adult children? Unfortunately, they would have to be placed in senior facilities for the next few months. Not ideal separating them, but it's sure preferable than having the entire nation go into hiding, see businesses destroyed, millions of jobs lost, and poverty jump significantly.

Sad for Grandma, but lives would be protected, and the economy would not be destroyed. You're not honestly saying that you would prefer to ruin the economy, destroy people's life savings, have millions lose their jobs, bring about massive poverty (that comes with its own health problems), just because it would be "nicer" to keep multi-generational families together for the next few months?
Exactly what "senior facilities" do you suggest? Assisted living facilities? Nursing homes? Skilled nursing facilities? Most of these places are already full of residents already. Are you suggesting that those residents be displaced or have to be reshuffled so that additional people can be housed? Many are self-pay at very high monthly rates - I'm sure they would not be happy at that prospect, especially if their lives would be threatened by outside elders at risk housed with them. You seem to think that the whole brunt of the virus can be blamed on the elderly when it is clear that younger people are also becoming ill and dying as well, not to mention the fact that they are also disease-carrying vectors spreading the virus when they are out and about. We, the elderly, are the ones who are already tending to stay safe at home.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:23 PM

6,354 posts, read 2,903,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
give me a break. Who the hell had a year of savings as a 20 year old kid going to community college?
They are the ones who are partying on the beach now. Maybe if they would get jobs instead of having beach parties they would have savings.

'We're not worried about it:' Photos show the coronavirus pandemic isn't stopping spring breakers from crowding beaches and partying on booze cruises
https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...artying-2020-3

Old 03-21-2020, 07:23 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The Leftists and their Lapdog Media caused this unwarranted Panic.
All to punish the Deplorables who elected Donald Trump.
There is nothing they would not do to get rid of him ....AND anyone who supports him.

I hope they choke on it.
Well, if the panic is "unwarranted", Trump seems to be a very willing participant. Do you hope that he chokes on it as well?

Old 03-21-2020, 07:35 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,552,321 times
Rachel, you seem very cavalier about this. Families will do what they always have in crises and live together and pool their resources. Loosing money or lose your life? I think most would choose the former. My kids are in their 40’s and worried.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:39 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Lefties allll over the world? I said our American trumpettes be the ones fighting shutting down to avoid contact - more than any other nation on earth.
Not all listen around the world - but some are up on our soap boxes screaming about our rights and our money !! Who cares if another dies! Shame/

Who are these lefties around the world? Your response makes no sense, but I understand you are in a state of paranoia and hysteria.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:42 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
You raise compelling and valid questions and issues.

Re the bolded, I don't know, dman72.

But, we can sure try. The alternative is not an option, to me. In my way of thinking, we have to try anything we reasonably can to protect the lives of others. When and if it becomes a "it's-them-or-us" mindset, THAT"S when I will worry.
The alternative is going to happen, and there's no way around it. People aren't going to sit in their houses all day, many (including me, probably) trying to scrape by on unemployment, indefinitely. Something's going to snap. And a lot of people aren't even going to consider this self-quarantine thing. With warm weather coming the streets of the Bronx, of the South Side of Chicago, etc., etc. will be teeming with mobs of people, the same as they always are. We're just going to have to bite the bullet on this thing.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:55 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussman View Post
They're saying the worst-case outcome is that 2.something million Americans die. Note: that is worst-case. So that assumes, for example, that we don't develop a cure or vaccine or herd immunity or ramp up health care system to deal with number of cases in the meantime.

This makes no sense. American society didn't shut down during the Civil War, World War I & II, the Spanish Influenza. Substantial chunks of the population were wiped out and this didn't shut down society. Didn't mentality back then, I guess.

This is the first time in American history where we decided through government policy to shut down the economy. Yes, the economy crashed many times (e.g. Great Depression and Financial Crisis of 2007), but those weren't self-imposed.

This is absolutely crazy.

And yes, I am scared of COVID-19. Mother Nature is scary. But in terms of health fears, this ranks maybe 1,000th on my list, well behind cancers, diabetes types 1 & 2, epilepsy, liver disease, kidney disease, bowl obstructions, concussions, atrial fibrillation, STDs, alczheimers, Parkinsons, etc.

Let's face it. COVID-19 won't disappear. Ever. In fact, few diseases have ever been truly "cured." Diabetes is a death sentence; the closest thing we have to a solution is a super-expensive way to mitigate the effects through daily medical treatment.

Now we know that new diseases can materialize and spread rapidly without symptoms. The next Coronavirus-family flu could already have infected half the population. Until they come up with a catch-all flu vaccine (which will still never be 100% effective), you better pray to God that your body can handle the dozens of flus that will attack it over your lifetime. And if you're alive reading this, it's likely that your body already was infected with COVID-19 and thankfully fought it off.

One of my grandfathers died at a young age of a heart attack from an infectious disease that spread around the U.S. and destroyed heart valves of its victims. Now that's scary! You think COVID-19 is scary because in very rare cases of fit individuals it can causes lung damage which lasts 12 years? lol. At least you have 2 lungs and only need 1 and you have a chance of totally recovering.

It looks like the number of deaths from COVID-19 in the U.S. will almost certainly be less than the average annual flu. But let's suppose it's slightly more, and reachs 100k (unlikely). Imagine if the news never mentioned COVID-19 and instead reported: "In 2020, the number of Americans who died from disease increased 3% from previous year." No one would bat an eye. The stock market would be unaffected.

This is just another example of how the media is mind-controlling the entire nation. Maybe it was done as an experiment just so the dying cable news networks could test whether they still control the population?
Do you speak from personal experience? Do you listen to Rush first and then watch Fox News all day? It appears that your mind is easily controlled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies