Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 10:28 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Each flu season there is the POTENTIAL hundreds of thousands of US citizens COULD die, but we don't shut down the economy each flu season.

This is being done as yet another attempt to remove Trump.

Looks like the Trump sycophants have another mantra: that coronavirus is a leftist plot to bring down their exalted leader. But he's bringing himself down, despite the best efforts to get him to change his ways.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:32 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How will they be able to come into the store and stand in line if the store locks its doors?

This is what all gas stations should have done, people can pay for fuel at the pump, there is NOTHING on the inside of gas stations or convenience stores that are 'necessity' items, its all luxury items actually.

I think within the month, Govt will likely freeze rent and mortgage payments, (not sure they can do that, but they probably will).

Gas stations sell tobacco. If you deny the masses that en mass, than lock everybody in their homes... Yikes.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:36 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,499,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How will they be able to come into the store and stand in line if the store locks its doors?

This is what all gas stations should have done, people can pay for fuel at the pump, there is NOTHING on the inside of gas stations or convenience stores that are 'necessity' items, its all luxury items actually.

I think within the month, Govt will likely freeze rent and mortgage payments, (not sure they can do that, but they probably will).
Gas stations would not make enough to pay the employees if they did that. And when are people going to be able to use the restroom? When someone is traveling to work, he/she may need to grab a drink and use the restroom. Gas stations have convenience stores inside them to make profits to stay in business.

People need to go to the store to buy food and other essentials. Locking people in their homes without food, medicines, soap, etc is a good way to start riots.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:35 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussman View Post
They're saying the worst-case outcome is that 2.something million Americans die. Note: that is worst-case. So that assumes, for example, that we don't develop a cure or vaccine or herd immunity or ramp up health care system to deal with number of cases in the meantime.

This is absolutely crazy.

And yes, I am scared of COVID-19. Mother Nature is scary. But in terms of health fears, this ranks maybe 1,000th on my list, well behind cancers, diabetes types 1 & 2, epilepsy, liver disease, kidney disease, bowl obstructions, concussions, atrial fibrillation, STDs, alczheimers, Parkinsons, etc.

This is just another example of how the media is mind-controlling the entire nation. Maybe it was done as an experiment just so the dying cable news networks could test whether they still control the population?

OK. You can die first if you want. I have no problem with that. Just don't ask me to die first because I will not.

That's the problem with your rant. You say it as if 2 million Americans is no big deal if they die.

I can assure you that death is a very big deal to all 2 million of those people. No one wants to be counted among them.

That is not media mind control. It's not some experiment. It is elemental human nature. We all have the instinct for survival.

Last edited by banjomike; 03-21-2020 at 11:57 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 11:45 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
We've had 26,000 infections and 320 deaths. By my calculation, unless I'm doing something wrong, 320 deaths divided by 26,000 cases is a 0.01% death rate.

There's definitely a conspiracy of some sort afoot.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:52 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Gas stations would not make enough to pay the employees if they did that. And when are people going to be able to use the restroom? When someone is traveling to work, he/she may need to grab a drink and use the restroom. Gas stations have convenience stores inside them to make profits to stay in business.

People need to go to the store to buy food and other essentials. Locking people in their homes without food, medicines, soap, etc is a good way to start riots.
But keeping them open during a pandemic invariably leads to long lines forming for the cashier!

Im taking video with my cell phone tomorrow at work, that shows these long lines and customers standing inches from each other!! Our county health dept said these places can stay open AS LONG AS social distancing of 6ft was followed...this is not being followed...so the health dept needs to be aware of that imo, these people are not only putting themselves at risk, they are endangering others with their behavior too. (thats why it cannot be tolerated).

I could understand it if these people were standing in lines for groceries, or prescriptions, safety equipment, etc...but these people are in lines to buy snacks, candy, soda, beer, lottery, cigarettes, that is NOT acceptable or necessary at this time.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:58 PM

606 posts, read 355,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
We've had 26,000 infections and 320 deaths. By my calculation, unless I'm doing something wrong, 320 deaths divided by 26,000 cases is a 0.01% death rate.

Um, dude. Check your math again.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The scary thing about COVID19 is the HOSPITALIZATION RATE of almost 20%!!

Let's repeat so clueless right-wingers will get it (not hopeful), its insanely high rate of people who needs to be hospitalized is the dangerous part about this virus. Forget the death rate, focus on our healthcare system.

We. DON'T. HAVE. ENOUGH. HOSPITALS. Period.

Do you get it now?

No I don't. Take a look at this:

According to an estimate by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there were approximately 45 million cases of the flu in the United States during the 2017-2018 influenza season, resulting in an estimated 810,000 flu-associated hospitalizations and an estimated 61,000 flu-associated deaths.Feb 26, 2020

Now did those 810,000 hospitalizations crash our hospital system????

Old 03-22-2020, 12:02 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

If the conspiracy is to keep the death rate that low, where's the problem with it?

Your calculations don't account for the possibility that the maximum fatality rate hasn't arrived yet.

If the self-distancing works and the infection curve flattens out, the fatality rate may well not climb any higher that your prediction. But if it fails, the death rate escalates very rapidly.

Since the disease is so new, trying to accurately estimate the death rate right now is next to impossible.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If the conspiracy is to keep the death rate that low, where's the problem with it?

Your calculations don't account for the possibility that the maximum fatality rate hasn't arrived yet.

If the self-distancing works and the infection curve flattens out, the fatality rate may well not climb any higher that your prediction. But if it fails, the death rate escalates very rapidly.

Since the disease is so new, trying to accurately estimate the death rate right now is next to impossible.

See? There's that word again, "Possibility". Or might, or could. But so far nothing of extreme alarm has arisen. 320 deaths, big deal! In 2018 we had close to a million hospitalizations and 50,000 deaths from the flu! And we didn't shut down the country over that! I repeat, something stinks about this whole sordid affair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies