Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 05:45 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
We're shutting down American society over a situation where the worst-case outcome is ~0.5% of population dies

Yup.

That's about 1.6 million people dead.

You know, like more than five times the number of Americans who died in combat in all of World War 2.

Naw, I don't see any reason to be worried.

Yup. Like half the number of Americans who dies last year alone.

"According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there were 2,813,503 registered deaths in the United States in 2017."

Old 03-21-2020, 05:47 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Are you guestimating or do you have data? What percentage go on respirators and survive? Talking strictly about COVID-19.
No I don't have data, and I'd be surprised if there IS data for that, but all you have to do is watch some of those Italian hospital videos to see that most people there ARE being put on respirators. And many of them are surviving. The reasonable conclusion is that they're surviving because they were put on a respirator.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:47 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,460,082 times
Good Lord, America is going to come out of this crisis more divided and more hostile than ever before. There's a decent chance that the elections this year will be canceled/ postponed. And if we do have elections, the outcome will be fiercely disputed. You read it here first.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:48 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,092 times
While Hussman aka the OP was busy conjuring up this ridiculous post, 1200 people have died from covid19, in the last 48 hours, in italy, but let's pretend this is just the regular flu, ok.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:49 PM

8,243 posts, read 3,497,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Have you researched how many Americans have underlying conditions?
I have multiple underlying conditions, including a suppressed immune system. It's still a poor decision to crash the economy like this.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:51 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
20% infected *are* hospitalized or 20% infected *need to be* hospitalized?

Asking a serious question. Do you have any data that putting them in a hospital bed for two weeks makes any significant difference in the outcome, given that there are no approved medicines? Are most of the people dying in Italy those not hospitalized? What exacty would be the outcome of a "treat at home" policy for most of that 20%?
We don't have home ventilators. The hospitals don't have enough ventilators. If you can't breathe, you die.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:51 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
We're shutting down American society over a situation where the worst-case outcome is ~0.5% of population dies

Yup.

That's about 1.6 million people dead.

You know, like more than five times the number of Americans who were killed in combat in all of World War 2.

Naw, I don't see any reason to be worried.

1-3% of the world population was killed by ww2. USA did not do most of the heavily dying, and was involved in it later than most of the world. Irregardless, the world moved on and enjoyed a period of relative peace and prosperity. To live is to die. That is a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
We don't have home ventilators. The hospitals don't have enough ventilators. If you can't breathe, you die.

So, bring on the great depression because there are not enough ventilators to go around How is making everyone poorer going to solve this problem and how do we fix this problem going forward???

Old 03-21-2020, 05:53 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
There are people who are put on respirators in hospitals who do survive.

I suppose we'll never know if they would have survived if they hadn't been put on respirators, but I'd say chances are, the mere fact they were put on respirators would indicate they had the virus really bad, and probably, would not have survived without a respirator.
Or, it indicates that they were in an immuno-suppressed condition to start with - chemo, diabetes, lung conditions, etc. - and it's not that they "had the virus really bad" but that they were not able to fight it off, sadly. More than 99% of people who are healthy and get the virus survive it.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:53 PM

8,243 posts, read 3,497,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
20% of the people infected need to be hospitalized. I think I read that 20% of those 20% were of the ages 20-40 here in NY. Is that a small amount of people to save? If you were one of those 20% would you sacrifice your life as to not overwhelm the hospitals?
I have not seen anyone say those shouldn't be hospitalized. The economy doesn't need to be shutdown and forcibly tanked to hospitalize those that need it.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:57 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
No I don't have data, and I'd be surprised if there IS data for that, but all you have to do is watch some of those Italian hospital videos to see that most people there ARE being put on respirators. And many of them are surviving. The reasonable conclusion is that they're surviving because they were put on a respirator.

The question is how many? And is it worth destroying the economy? Unless your position is that it's worth the GDP of the world, if it saves even one life.

But make no mistake, many will die in a poorer economy. There is a clear link between poor healthcare and poverty. You don't have a fairy tale option where none die.

And consider that we have given enemies and terrorists a clear blueprint for how to destroy us. Terrorists are wasting their time on bombs and planes when they can infect some martyrs with a coronavirus and have them mingle in large crowds. A team of twelve could probably infect 1000 in a day and it's off to the races. There might even be sickos out there doing that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies