Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 06:25 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Huh? [B China covered up SARS not telling the world about it for four or five months. [/b]They were universally condemned. They supposedly addressed that, but the system broke down with COVID-19. Even then, word was out in about a month (and US intel was aware of what was going on as well). Much better than SARS. Maybe next one they get it right.
Really? Why am I not surprised? I didn’t pay much attention to it because the closest it got to us was in Canada as I seem to recall (though could be wrong about that too).

Old 04-01-2020, 06:26 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,803,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Trump didn't do anything? Geez, you know we have access to the internet, so that kind of silliness is as easy to blow out of the water as shooting ducks in a barrel

Trump banned flights from China, started quarantine procedures and declared COVID-19 a national medial emergency on January 31st. Just five days earlier, Dr. Fauci was going around telling the public that COVID-19 should not be of concern to Americans.

As early as January 14th, Xi of China was telling the W.H.O., that COVID-19 was not transmutable between humans. And yet just over two weeks later Trump had already signed a proclamation banning flights from lying China.

So tell me, which Governor, Mayor, or other World leader was banning flights, instituting quarantines, and declaring a national health emergency before Trump did.
Philippines stopped flights from China long before Trump did.

Philippines also stopped flights from Taiwan and South Korea.

Has Trump grounded all flights in the US that is spreading the virus from place to place?

The Philippines did on March 16.

Look at the death toll in Philippines population 104 million with a 2nd world health care system v.
USA with the "best health care system in the world"

Total dead in the US is now 5099 v. Philippines at 96.

Why is the US toll so much higher? The US accepted tons and tons of incoming flights and implemented no national lock down.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:29 PM

8,387 posts, read 4,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don’t think so because I see people stepping up and making ventilators, or working alternatives. We now have several companies making face masks and ventilators.

I just saw a report about a company in Waxahachie, Texas, who makes a sort of ventilator hood that goes over the head, but doesn’t require the more uncomfortable aspects of a ventilator. He’s doubled his workforce to make as many as he can and is giving out the plans to anyone around the country with the manufacturing capability to make them as well, for free. He hasn’t raised his prices due to demand either.

The private sector is stepping up in this crisis. There is reason for hope.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...virus-n1173466
Maybe it is all it claimed to be...but...25 years as a paramedic and 8 as a nurse tells me this is no more than a CPAP at best which is entirely different than a ventilator.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:30 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I was in three stores a few days ago here in Malaysia. Each shop had free masks at the counter and were giving one per customer if they requested it. So instead of allowing people to hoard masks and instead of jacking up prices to make a profit the shop owners wanted to make sure their customers were safe and continued to shop.

I have be reusing the same mask since this began. I only wear a mask when going to shop so it gets very little use.

I chime in here frequently with news from SE Asia. That is where I am.

I would like US citizens to ask themselves simple questions like why the Philippines banned all flights between islands way back in mid March and the US still flew plane loads of passengers where one Covid case was breeding several more.

Someone here mentioned today that planes are still flying.

The governor of Florida finally, finally implemented a stay at home request despite the fact strict actions were taken weeks ago in most entire nations in SE Asia.

Really, good luck with that.
I think Asia has been hit hard by a lot of the diseases, so they learned from that and were prepared. And as you said, many Asian nations are more acute to social distancing and they have learned in the past so wearing protective masks in public is a common thing.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:33 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
No matter how much they lose, they will never starve.
that's about as valid of a point as me saying as my pinkie fingernails need cutting, by my other 8 ones are OK.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
And how many people traveled fro FL to OH? As well as to other states. This is why the shutdowns should be nationwide.
so why haven't the Dem members of Congress, or any majority of Congress - called for such a shutdown?

Old 04-01-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
He can't do rallies anymore and the news is not focused on him so much, so these daily stem-winder press conferences are his new method of keeping in touch with his base.
based upon a not-so-random sample of responses, the "this is just the flu, rock on!" crowd is roughly equal to "these are just to substitute for Trump rallies!"

Quote:
just today - "This is a meaningless update. Why are they talking about drugs???"
when they're at LEAST also talking about what kind of hell will rain down on Iran should they **** up right now.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The choices now are limited. Ventilators are not the answer - I just heard that 50% of patients put on them die. Others have to stay on them indefinitely (they will have to eventually pull the plug, right)......
Patients have to stay on a ventilator for extreme periods, 14-21 days as the disease runs its course. Some of those people will die, and the triage is agonizing. If a patient presents with interstitial pneumonia, either they get a vent or they die.

Some of the deaths are agonizing. If someone has a pacemaker, it will keep the heart beating as long as there is a heart muscle to stimulate. If they are on a ventilator, it will keep pushing air into the lungs even if the lungs are not functioning. The patient is suffocating, but the machines will not let them die. All the docs can do is ease their passing with sedatives.

Even so, some will survive. They have to try.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:44 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,820,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Good, as should other businesses.
This is a nothing burger virus that turned into a mass hysteria media hoax.
Until you or a loved one get it and are hospitalized. Even if you don’t die this is a nasty virus. Even your Dear Leader has had to admit that this is the real deal.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:49 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Trump is not governing, leading or taking the bull by the horns.
You can repeat that ignorant falsehood until you are blue in the face, it will never make it true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies