Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 06:14 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,593,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don’t think so because I see people stepping up and making ventilators, or working alternatives. We now have several companies making face masks and ventilators.

I just saw a report about a company in Waxahachie, Texas, who makes a sort of ventilator hood that goes over the head, but doesn’t require the more uncomfortable aspects of a ventilator. He’s doubled his workforce to make as many as he can and is giving out the plans to anyone around the country with the manufacturing capability to make them as well, for free. He hasn’t raised his prices due to demand either.

The private sector is stepping up in this crisis. There is reason for hope.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...virus-n1173466
Ventilators in the private sector are not going to be available for 2-3 months. Many places are looking at an apex in 4-6 weeks.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:14 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,701,180 times
Here are some nifty graphs on the epidemic. You can toggle between the default logarithmic scale to a linear scale at the bottom right of each graph.

91-DIVOC : Flip the script on COVID-19

Old 04-01-2020, 06:16 PM

21,486 posts, read 10,593,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Italy's emergency rooms and ICUs were swamped, weeks ago. We were infected when they were, and we have more cases. So they do not do things the same way as we do. Is it because Italy's health care system was not robust enough, and ours is?
Oh, for sure. They don’t even have close to the same capacity as we do. We have more hospitals, more beds, more ventilators, more everything.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,692,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We haven't seen federal gov incompetence on this level since at least Katrina.
No - this is unprecedented in history. Not just the 6 weeks...and all the other stuff, but the fact that they are still failing in virtually every way. When I heard the new FEMA guy who was put in charge speak I told my wife "he's not capable of doing the job".

It's so evident, maybe due to my 45 years in business and non-profits, as to who is capable and who is not. The Trump admin simply has not capable people...capable of action.

Trump is not governing, leading or taking the bull by the horns.

It reminds me of the movie part from Airplane where the "NO PANIC" sign was lit for the longest time (up until about two days ago) and now the PANIC sign is lit. For good reason.

If we played pretend and said that the Trump admin WAS even capable of action and leading, it STILL would be starting this week. Too late. Way too late.

There is no saving grace at this point. We all are just going to do what we can to help each other and to survive.

Kudos to some of the State leaders and County Leaders who took quick action (Ohio, WA), but in the fact of the Government throwing their hands up and giving up most are in a tough spot.

A place like WA. state had the University and Brain Trusts and reasonable people to possibly curtail the thing - but I think that will be the exception rather than the rule.

In Florida the postive rate went way up again. And still the testing isn't available. That's a bad sign, IMHO - especially since they did test a bunch of people based on "politics" (The Villages, etc. where almost no one they tested was positive since they tested anyone who got in line).

The choices now are limited. Ventilators are not the answer - I just heard that 50% of patients put on them die. Others have to stay on them indefinitely (they will have to eventually pull the plug, right)......

Old 04-01-2020, 06:19 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,967,859 times
Quote:
I don’t think so because I see people stepping up and making ventilators, or working alternatives. We now have several companies making face masks and ventilators.

I just saw a report about a company in Waxahachie, Texas, who makes a sort of ventilator hood that goes over the head, but doesn’t require the more uncomfortable aspects of a ventilator. He’s doubled his workforce to make as many as he can and is giving out the plans to anyone around the country with the manufacturing capability to make them as well, for free. He hasn’t raised his prices due to demand either.

Good to see them stepping up. But that is only the ventilator hood. The "uncomfortable" part of being put on a ventilator is the tube down the throat.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:19 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,701,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Trump didn't do anything? Geez, you know we have access to the internet, so that kind of silliness is as easy to blow out of the water as shooting ducks in a barrel

Trump banned flights from China, started quarantine procedures and declared COVID-19 a national medial emergency on January 31st. Just five days earlier, Dr. Fauci was going around telling the public that COVID-19 should not be of concern to Americans.

As early as January 14th, Xi of China was telling the W.H.O., that COVID-19 was not transmutable between humans. And yet just over two weeks later Trump had already signed a proclamation banning flights from lying China.

So tell me, which Governor, Mayor, or other World leader was banning flights, instituting quarantines, and declaring a national health emergency before Trump did.
Then he fell flat on his face by not closing air traffic from Italy, or even screening passengers. People were getting off the plane from Florence without a look. Trump infected the whole East Coast because he was too stupid to understand the problem.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:20 PM

8,388 posts, read 4,376,951 times
COVID-19

These are projections many doctors and government officials are useing. This defaults to the US but you can search for your state and get numbers and projections.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:22 PM

48,555 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:

Sure. If you need a ventilator in 3 months.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-01-2020, 06:23 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,235,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I stopped caring about that. That is the least of my worries when it comes the crisis at hand. We should worry more about getting more PPEs for nurses and doctors, my finances during the summer (I work at a school and have no idea what is going on with summer work), and massive church gatherings than Trump and his circle. Trump could take my advice and not start a drug war to divert from the errors with his handing of the virus.
it's all about you and all the school workers that can't plan their summer income. Don't stop believing.

Now, it IS true that what matters today is what progress we make in the next 30 days, or 60 days, or 90 days. Or however many days it takes.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:25 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,692,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
We don't know the actual number of cases because most people with the virus have mild symptoms or none at all and have not been tested or diagnosed. Therefore we can't calculate the true death rate. The 0.66% rate is based on an estimate of the true case number from the few situations in which all, or almost all, the people involved were tested, like when people who were evacuated on special flights.
In other words, not even a slightly relevant statistic yet???

I am sure that vast numbers have it...or have recovered and we don't know about it. But how many? Impossible to even guess.

On the positive end, the mortality rate will come down when the entire population is figured in.

On the negative end, the USA has an especially unhealthy population and I suspect that will come home to roost in terms of the crisis.

I used to think my mom (a smoker at one time) would not make it to 70. But COPD drugs were virtually a miracle and she is 88.

I cannot imagine she'd survive this because I fear it wouldn't care much about the COPD drug. So many Americans have done chemo...so many are immune suppressed...even young people.

I am fairly confident that I and my wife (66) will survive it. But just in my very close family I can count 4 that likely would not. Two are older and two are middle aged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies