Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 06:03 PM

38,160 posts, read 22,262,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
But it was blatantly obvious that this was deadly serious for more than two months and Trump hardly did anything. The buck stops there. Its a bit ridiculous to claim that "if only we got a couple of more weeks of warning from China", things would have been sooo much different and we could have prepared.
Trump didn't do anything? Geez, you know we have access to the internet, so that kind of silliness is as easy to blow out of the water as shooting ducks in a barrel

Trump banned flights from China, started quarantine procedures and declared COVID-19 a national medial emergency on January 31st. Just five days earlier, Dr. Fauci was going around telling the public that COVID-19 should not be of concern to Americans.

As early as January 14th, Xi of China was telling the W.H.O., that COVID-19 was not transmutable between humans. And yet just over two weeks later Trump had already signed a proclamation banning flights from lying China.

So tell me, which Governor, Mayor, or other World leader was banning flights, instituting quarantines, and declaring a national health emergency before Trump did.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:05 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,016,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
let's say 1 family member of 4 goes out for groceries, and practices safe distancing (all the sanitizer, etc). Then how, from what we know, would they be introducing COVID to their family?

How, if I've shown no symptoms, but I go see my 77 yr old self-quarantined mother and use safe practices including not getting within 6 ft of her, have I contributed to the spread?
Not sure. I'll let you know if my sick husband is tested tomorrow. He now has symptoms, after using masks and gloves on every trip for supplies. Was he 100% safe, well.... no matter what he has... I guess not because he is sick. Doesn't matter what he has, it is a protocol fail.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-01-2020, 06:06 PM

19,290 posts, read 17,174,435 times
If the church(s) in Louisiana can't open for business because of this disease Hobby Lobby sure the heck doesn't get a pass on opening.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:07 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,058,761 times
Good, as should other businesses.
This is a nothing burger virus that turned into a mass hysteria media hoax.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:08 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,810,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
They only said that masks weren’t helpful because they knew they were already running out and wanted to save some for healthcare workers. Anyone as cynical as saw that was what they were doing. Remember at the time people started panicking buying and we ran out of everything.
I was in three stores a few days ago here in Malaysia. Each shop had free masks at the counter and were giving one per customer if they requested it. So instead of allowing people to hoard masks and instead of jacking up prices to make a profit the shop owners wanted to make sure their customers were safe and continued to shop.

I have been reusing the same mask since this began. I only wear a mask when going to shop so it gets very little use.

I chime in here frequently with news from SE Asia. That is where I am.

I would like US citizens to ask themselves simple questions like why the Philippines banned all flights between islands way back in mid March and the US still flew plane loads of passengers where one Covid case was breeding several more.

Someone here mentioned today that planes are still flying.

The governor of Florida finally, finally implemented a stay at home request despite the fact strict actions were taken weeks ago in most entire nations in SE Asia.

Really, good luck with that.

Last edited by pbmaise; 04-01-2020 at 06:27 PM..

Old 04-01-2020, 06:10 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,266,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Well part of it is we are a free society with individual freedoms that must be respected and weighed against the greater societal good. That is a good thing imo.

The Chinese government doesn’t have that problem.
same for South Korea when you realize the "freedom" differences we enjoy and insist upon.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:11 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,987,712 times
Quote:
let's say 1 family member of 4 goes out for groceries, and practices safe distancing (all the sanitizer, etc). Then how, from what we know, would they be introducing COVID to their family?

How, if I've shown no symptoms, but I go see my 77 yr old self-quarantined mother and use safe practices including not getting within 6 ft of her, have I contributed to the spread?
Because people can pass on the virus before they have symptoms. All the social distancing is to reduce the possibility of passing or catching the virus.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:12 PM

21,499 posts, read 10,621,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
That is going to be a reality in a lot of places in the US.
I don’t think so because I see people stepping up and making ventilators, or working alternatives. We now have several companies making face masks and ventilators.

I just saw a report about a company in Waxahachie, Texas, who makes a sort of ventilator hood that goes over the head, but doesn’t require the more uncomfortable aspects of a ventilator. He’s doubled his workforce to make as many as he can and is giving out the plans to anyone around the country with the manufacturing capability to make them as well, for free. He hasn’t raised his prices due to demand either.

The private sector is stepping up in this crisis. There is reason for hope.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...virus-n1173466

Old 04-01-2020, 06:13 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,602,658 times
Quote:

You should not be going to see your 77 year old grandmother. Holy smokes. Wake up people.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:13 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,783,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Could somebody please check my math? Percentages aren't my thing but I keep coming up with a 2% death rate, not 0.66%.

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
We don't know the actual number of cases because most people with the virus have mild symptoms or none at all and have not been tested or diagnosed. Therefore we can't calculate the true death rate. The 0.66% rate is based on an estimate of the true case number from the few situations in which all, or almost all, the people involved were tested, like when people who were evacuated on special flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies