Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 05:34 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,816,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
Is it ok to go for a walk without a mask at this point? What about Driving with my windows down? Mask or no mask

This is gonna suck during summertime
These questions remind me of questions asked about getting the HIV virus. Those were questions like can you get HIV by kissing. That answer is it is highly unlikely by still theoretically a possibility. The answers to your question are similar.

Going for a walk alone with large social distancing is considered safe. Highly unlikely unless someone coughs directly upwind of you.....

If you are the only person who uses your car keeping the windows rolled out is fine. If you are carpooling not. If you have a college student you share the vehicle with who went on spring break to Florida not a good idea. If you are driving an elderly relative to the doctors you yourself may be a source of virus to that relative.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:35 PM

38,730 posts, read 22,501,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I am confused as to why some medical staff reportedly change PPE after every patient they see when the fact of the matter is all patients they are seeing have Covid 19 and they can't pass the virus from patient to patient.

Changing PPE everytime, when PPE is in short supply would only lead long to having no PPE at all in the current pandemic.

I have already heard reports of some medical staff that reuse their PPE day after day. Or is that only their masks?
I heard that there are different strains of COVID-19. If that's true, then patients may not have the same strain, and the doctors would be spreading around all the different strains and helping to create a more potent virus.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:38 PM

21,542 posts, read 10,668,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I'm not exactly a DJT fan, but we should also note that the EU also got this badly wrong:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21J6FF

This pandemic has taken a lot of people by surprise. It's mostly those nations with previous experience that have been doing a better job of managing it.
Everyone got it wrong, with the possible exception of Asian countries neighboring China that are used to looking out for stuff coming from there and already are big on wearing masks everywhere they go. My daughter goes to school at UT in Austin, and she said Chinese National students wear face masks throughout the winter, even during the 2018-2019 school year when this wasn’t anywhere on the radar. Italy on the other hand, they kiss and hug total strangers. They’re not good social distancers.

I’m not blaming anyone but the Chinese government, who could have given a heads up and handled it like they did the SARS epidemic back in 2003. It would be nice if they’d also regulate or shut down the wet markets too. Maybe they’ll do it now.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
We know because we can look to places like Italy and see what kind of mess we’d be in if our hospitals are overwhelmed. Do you want your doctors saying no one over 60 will get a ventilator?
Italy's emergency rooms and ICUs were swamped, weeks ago. We were infected when they were, and we have more cases. So they do not do things the same way as we do. Is it because Italy's health care system was not robust enough, and ours is?

Old 04-01-2020, 05:40 PM

14,221 posts, read 7,005,600 times
Daily deaths now skyrockets past Italy's daily number.

1041 deaths today so far.

Almost 26 000 new cases so far today.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:40 PM

21,542 posts, read 10,668,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
They only said that masks weren’t helpful because they knew they were already running out and wanted to save some for healthcare workers. Anyone as cynical as I am saw that was what they were doing. Remember at the time people started panic buying and we ran out of everything.

Last edited by katygirl68; 04-01-2020 at 06:21 PM..

Old 04-01-2020, 05:41 PM

987 posts, read 786,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
It's ok to go outside for a walk/jog/bike ride as long as you practice the recommended social distancing and pay attention to local measures taken in your city (park closures etc.)
Thank you. What about driving with the windows down? Mask or not?

Anyone Bueller? Anyone?

Old 04-01-2020, 05:41 PM

30,411 posts, read 12,012,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Italy's emergency rooms and ICUs were swamped, weeks ago. We were infected when they were, and we have more cases. So they do not do things the same way as we do. Is it because Italy's health care system was not robust enough, and ours is?

We are over 5 times bigger in population than Italy and much larger. To just say we have more cases means nothing.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Yeah that's pretty much an artform that all politicians specialize in. Watch a debate sometime and keep count of the number of times that they never bother to get around to answering the question. It's been that way since before I was born.
The worst example of this was during the Bob Dole, Bill Clinton campaign year. It didn't matter what the question was, it could have been "what color is the shirt you are wearing?" And they answer would be something like "That reminds me of my plan for strengthening our social security program...."

Old 04-01-2020, 05:43 PM

39,181 posts, read 51,505,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Everyone got it wrong, with the possible exception of Asian countries neighboring China that are used to looking out for stuff coming from there and already are big on wearing masks everywhere they go. My daughter goes to school at UT in Austin, and she said Chinese National students wear face masks throughout the winter, even during the 2018-2019 school year when this wasn’t anywhere on the radar. Italy on the other hand, they kiss and hug total strangers. They’re not good social distancers.

I’m not blaming anyone but the Chinese government, who could have given a heads up and handled it like they did the SARS epidemic back in 2003. It would be nice if they’d also regulate or shut down the wet markets too. Maybe they’ll do it now.
Huh? China covered up SARS not telling the world about it for four or five months. They were universally condemned. They supposedly addressed that, but the system broke down with COVID-19. Even then, word was out in about a month (and US intel was aware of what was going on as well). Much better than SARS. Maybe next one they get it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies