Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2020, 07:42 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
USS Theodore last foreign port was in Da Nang, Vietnam. Do you know why the carrier was there?

Let me give you a few hints: South China Sea, dispute, international water, Chinese, etc

Yeah, sure. We should let Beijing know that one of our aircraft carriers is gonna MIA for months because of a virus
And yet your acting like he did this in the middle of WW2 right before Midway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 07:53 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Because his action has negative effect on military readiness. I am assuming you were an NCO when you were in USMC because you view this situation with smaller lenses. That’s totally understandable

I view this situation with bigger lenses because I was an officer.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:53 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
No more like a US Navy ship Captain in 1940. Who also would have been relieved of his command and invited to retire

Old 04-03-2020, 08:16 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:
Actually, i do understand about morale. I have 14 years in the US Army (4 active, 10 in the reserves/NG). Left the service as a captain (0-3)

Sure, captain of USS Theodore maybe popular with his men but that does not mean his action is right. Military discipline and readiness are not a popular contest
Yes, an acquaintance of mine was a CO that was "fired" due to administrative issues regarding maintenance. He was actually pretty detached from the actual events, but the buck does stop with him, and it was severe enough to rise to his removal from command. Everyone liked him, he was in fact pretty good CO and had a distinguished career, but all it takes is one thing. And at the end of the day, those admin maintenance things matter to the readiness of the ship and safety of the crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
People keep saying it was the Captian that leaked the letter.

There is NO evidence of that, and even the acting navy secretary did not claim that was the case. A good outline of the details is here:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/03...ore-roosevelt/
Agree, I have not really read anything straight forward that he is the one that leaked it. I read he copied 30 people, but that does not necessarily mean he leaked it. I do think the chances are high he did, but it would be nice for a straight forward answer.

Quote:
USS Theodore last foreign port was in Da Nang, Vietnam. Do you know why the carrier was there?

Let me give you a few hints: South China Sea, dispute, international water, Chinese, etc

Yeah, sure. We should let Beijing know that one of our aircraft carriers is gonna MIA for months because of a virus
I criticized this a week ago on here, that was a **** poor decision to port in Vietnam given the virus situation at the time. It was already well known the extent of the virus, and Vietnam bordered the global hot spot and had cases already. That was a horrible decision and that should have been the focus of some consequences for who ever made the call to port there.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:36 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
And what was he suppose to do when his chain of command wasn't helping?
Are you Vet? Have you ever served? What you don't do is violate the chain of command. You don't violate protocols.

The military isn't a civilian world, nor should it be treated as such.

That Captain knew the consequences and now he will suffer the consequences. End of story. He isn't a hero.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:40 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
And yet politicians in some cities are releasing prisoners because of the close living conditions. Guess these politicians have never lived aboard a Navy ship. Our living quarters are so tight they would not be allowed in USA prisons today. You know that 6 foot rule? Where I slept on the ship I was less than 6 feet from at least 11 other people. Over a thousand sailors eat on tightly packed mess decks for at least 3 meals a day when at sea. There is no isolation on a ship at sea. But hey, at least the mayors or governors are releasing violent criminals to protect them.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:45 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
As a veteran, I’m on both sides of the fence. On one hand you don’t leak sensitive information to the press and on the other hand, his ship was screwed with infections.

Either way, I doubt he gives a damn with that sweet O6 pension he’ll get plus some 6 figure contractor job if he wants it.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:48 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
As a veteran, I’m on both sides of the fence. On one hand you don’t leak sensitive information to the press and on the other hand, his ship was screwed with infections.

Either way, I doubt he gives a damn with that sweet O6 pension he’ll get plus some 6 figure contractor job if he wants it.
He probably already been hired, lol.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Nah, he will get his 06 pension. It’s a relieve of command, not USMJ court martial

Old 04-03-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
He probably already been hired, lol.
Haha. A lot of those sweet contractor jobs have contracts with the US government. It means that you need to have TSC from the government. I am pretty sure US govt revoked his TSC after this fiasco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies