Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2020, 02:17 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
The facts embarrassed the Trump administration. He had to go.

Shortly, he will be demonized on this forum ...
bull crap.

i am former navy. the Captain went outside the chain of command.

That has consequences that are swift and predictable. every. single. time.

wouldn't matter if the president were dem or rep. the action was military protocol 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I'd be interested in learning more about the facts of the matter and how far up his chain of command he went before mass cc'ing people on that e-mail.

It sounded like his superiors were insisting that he follow isolation procedures for those infected (which I believe were seven). I'm not sure what the severity of symptoms of the infected were, whether he had no confidence in being able to contain the spread or treat the infected, or whether his medical staff were becoming infected (thus posing a much broader risk to the crew); however, I'm sure he would've been able to medevac anyone with severe symptoms if he had to (I hear that carriers have helicopters!). I'm also wondering if his superiors did an about-face or were ordered to let him dock in Guam once the e-mail was leaked or whether he docked without permission.

The military is expected to keep up their defense posture in the face of adversity, and it would be a bad look if he had taken the issue high up his chain of command prior to the leak and they decided to let him dock due to the fallout of the leak.
the answer is, he went around his direct superior in his first email. he copied people he should not have.

period.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
The video of sailors cheering for Captain Crozier was really heart-warming. He didn't lose the confidence of men on his ship at all, he never should have been fired.
in fact, both things are true and right.

He didn't lose confidence of his men. He clearly put them ahead of himself.
however, he was rightly relieved.

this isn't the IT department of your local Walmart distribution center. THis is the military. unless you are military or former military you will not get it. you don't go outside the chain. you don't jeopardize military readiness.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:29 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,598,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I don't disagree with you at all. What I'm mostly wondering is:

1) How far up he went in his chain of command prior to him sending his mass cc'd e-mail;
2) What the details of the infection and his thought process were; and
3) Whether the fallout of the leak played a role in the decision to let him dock in Guam.
I served in the Army and we have SOP (at least with my unit) for a disease outbreak. We developed our SOP after SARS outbreak in 2002.

I'd imagine the Navy has more indepth SOP for an oubreak considering the fact that they live in close proxmity in a floating petri-dish for months at a time, and making port call on every continent.

Corona outbreak in USS Theordore should be kept in the down low, not all over social media. Remember, it's a disease outbreak not My Lai Massacre.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:51 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Well he doesn't work for the sailors. He works for the United States of America and his primary job is to provide a unit that other folks will be scared to take on. They are less fearful of USS Roosevelt right now.
This we know but at least they showed their appreciation. I went back to read about the incident and it is unclear whether he actually leaked the letter. His letter was sent internally.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:51 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,882,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
in fact, both things are true and right.

He didn't lose confidence of his men. He clearly put them ahead of himself.
however, he was rightly relieved.

this isn't the IT department of your local Walmart distribution center. THis is the military. unless you are military or former military you will not get it. you don't go outside the chain. you don't jeopardize military readiness.
Now our adversary's know ,plant a bug on a US Navy ship and it will turn and run.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:54 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,598,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Now our adversary's know ,plant a bug on a US Navy ship and it will turn and run.
More like no more shore leave for US sailors at foreign ports.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
This we know but at least they showed their appreciation. I went back to read about the incident and it is unclear whether he actually leaked the letter. His letter was sent internally.
copied to at least 30 different people outside the chain of command.

there aren't any questions here. The Navy did exactly what that Captain KNEW they would do.

One thing you can be sure about the navy. there is a book for everything. down to how many times you turn a freaking screw to tighten it.

This guy knew what he was doing and knew full well what the consequences would be. There are no excuses for violating the chain of command and operational readiness. period. none.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:58 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
He sent the email to 30 different individuals!

“Speaking at a news conference Thursday evening, Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said Crozier was removed from his post because he sent the letter over "non-secure unclassified email" to a "broad array of people" rather than up the chain of command.”

Old 04-03-2020, 03:10 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
copied to at least 30 different people outside the chain of command.

there aren't any questions here. The Navy did exactly what that Captain KNEW they would do.

One thing you can be sure about the navy. there is a book for everything. down to how many times you turn a freaking screw to tighten it.

This guy knew what he was doing and knew full well what the consequences would be. There are no excuses for violating the chain of command and operational readiness. period. none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
He sent the email to 30 different individuals!

“Speaking at a news conference Thursday evening, Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said Crozier was removed from his post because he sent the letter over "non-secure unclassified email" to a "broad array of people" rather than up the chain of command.”
I originally though he had sent the email outside the chain of command but then another article implied he did not and there was no info as to who did. But guess he did actually disseminate that info.

Thank you! Well, such as life then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies