Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 08:51 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It really is quite astonishing how easily intimidated and manipulated we have become in 50 years. That should scare people more than this virus.
Indeed. Tried to rep you but too soon since last one.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I'm thinking we should start looking at it. What do you think? Still too early?
I think it's still too early. This thing is still peaking and we don't have any defense against the virus other than staying home.

It's a tough call to make. Everyone has cabin fever and is anxious to get back to life as we knew it. We all want to get back out there. The economy continues to languish as we shelter in place. Leave it in the doldrums too long and the recovery will be a lot more painful.

BUT...

Restart too soon and we get a second spike in hospitalizations/deaths and the healthcare system, already grossly overburdened, may approach collapse. And that would lead to an even greater death toll.

Nobody wants that.

So, where'e the dividing line between too early and too late?

Nobody really knows.

But I side with the recommendations from the epidemiologists.

This kind of lunacy doesn't help.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I think it's still too early. This thing is still peaking and we don't have any defense against the virus other than staying home.

It's a tough call to make. Everyone has cabin fever and is anxious to get back to life as we knew it. We all want to get back out there. The economy continues to languish as we shelter in place. Leave it in the doldrums too long and the recovery will be a lot more painful.

BUT...

Restart too soon and we get a second spike in hospitalizations/deaths and the healthcare system, already grossly overburdened, may approach collapse. And that would lead to an even greater death toll.

Nobody wants that.

Nobody really knows.

Good post. I don't mind hearing from both sides of an issue.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I can imagine Spock taking care of the problem quickly and efficiently.
LOL. Funny stuff.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:08 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:

BUT...

Nobody wants that.

Nobody really knows.

There is no escaping round 2. If anyone has proposed an idea for how to make this virus vanish or to make us impervious to it, please do share. Because despite all the media efforts to promote a mass hysteria mob-style panic, going through this clearly appears to be our destiny.

We cannot run away from this, nor should we try. We have taken the time and we have expended a truly extraordinary amount of resources in order to make adequate preparations for us to make our way through as safely as we can, although that certainly will not be a painless or lossless process.

We have to go through this. It is our destiny. Do not be cowards, people.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:10 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
I'm of the opinion it's time to start reopening America. I think there is enough real-world data to at least start looking at this.

Perhaps a zoned approach would be appropriate based on population density, current infection rates, and risk of future infections. Perhaps keep interstate and international travel to a minimum until a threshold of decreasing infections is met.

We, especially the governors of states, really need to start evaluating actual state-by state results against modeled predictions because we may be shooting ourselves in the foot by creating a one size fits all risk profile. The predictions seem to get less dire every week as real-world data is fed into the models. Really, I don't trust the models, their base assumptions, or the data being fed into them. If they are using the same type of model they used to predict global warming results, then I really give them very little credence. Governors should look at the actual, discernible patterns within their state and auditors need to be evaluating data for accuracy. For example, not everyone with CV dies from CV, but their deaths are being attributed to the virus and that is erroneously driving up the death rate.

Manufacturing is ramping up for PPE, distribution lines are sound thanks to our not so crumbling infrastructure. The malaria drug looks more and more promising every day. How are those conditions presented to the predictive models? Are they even used?

Has our fear of contracting the virus been used to shape a political outcome? I'm all about erring on the side of safety, but ruining the economy of the US with this near total shutdown is not a smart move for any political party. We need to get the nation off of its knees.

I'm thinking we should start looking at it. What do you think? Still too early?
Is that you, Dan Forest?

Old 04-18-2020, 09:22 AM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
There is no escaping round 2. If anyone has proposed an idea for how to make this virus vanish or to make us impervious to it, please do share. Because despite all the media efforts to promote a mass hysteria mob-style panic, going through this clearly appears to be our destiny.

We cannot run away from this, nor should we try. We have taken the time and we have expended a truly extraordinary amount of resources in order to make adequate preparations for us to make our way through as safely as we can, although that certainly will not be a painless or lossless process.

We have to go through this. It is our destiny. Do not be cowards, people.
Excellent, spot on post.

I'm sure those in Great Britain were afraid to go about their daily lives in WWII as , at night, bombing raids would sometimes occur, but go on, they did.

We are not going to get through covid by having 320 million hide under the covers.

The reason we can spend trillions on stimulus adding debt is our economy , overall in 95% of years, is so strong, we are credit worthy. If we abort it to extent it is not, we risk not just losing the debt worthiness to use $ to battle now, but for future pandemics also.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:31 AM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Aren't the hospital systems supposed to be gearing up for that? Or do they prefer their consultants and padded salaries?

Old 04-18-2020, 09:35 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
That media doesn't care about you and they don't care about news. They care about their agenda.
Amen. Sister.

It's all fake news. Those body bags are Hollywood style dummies.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:44 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Amen. Sister.

It's all fake news. Those body bags are Hollywood style dummies.
The funeral homes are shut down and funerals aren't being held OF COURSE there are going to be "bodies stacked!" That's not an indication of the seriousness of this thing like everyone keeps trying to trot out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies