Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 02:10 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
The US is not shut down, those activities are up to state and local governments.
Lets not pretend the WH never has anything to do with anything. Who closed air travel and borders, and who brags about 're-opening the US with a bang'. Why did Florida Gov wait for Trump's approval to close the State?

Quote:
By the way, your medical background is? I mean you have such a high opinion of your expertise on infectious diseases.
What is yours, other than practicing your immune system by licking Trumps boots?

I have said from the beginning that the US over-reacted, and the WH fomented the hysteria in order to justify its authoritarian actions and massive spending. That is my opinion, and I am not asking you to agree.

I hope they re-open the US with a bang. The sooner, the better.

I think I had COVI around New Year. No biggie.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-08-2020 at 02:26 PM..

Old 04-08-2020, 02:13 PM

4,028 posts, read 1,884,793 times
you think germany is trying justify bailouts? UK? Italy? All these places magically share some political agenda, so that when a disaster shows up - they just magically roll it into action? All these leaders must secretly "play nice" when off camera!

Old 04-08-2020, 02:15 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,991,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
No snark here, just discussion. But what sectors do you recommend "reopening"?

To be honest, I continue to contribute to the economy and thank the Lord I am still working and producing.

I think that things that encourage inordinately large groups of people need to remain canceled this year. Events that pull in international travelers need to remain canceled as well. It's a bitter pill to swallow, especially since two huge events in my town brought in so much money and their cancellations resulted in a lot of hurt. My husband had just signed up with a company whose bread and butter is large events and his onboarding has been delayed until ???. I am glad that the offer hasn't been rescinded. I'm in the legal industry, and we are feeling the pinch because many of our clients are directly impacted. Already got the "prepare for sacrifices" memo. But I'm employed, which I am grateful for.

Telecommuting should remain on the table for employees in the foreseeable future.

As for us, we're trying to make lemons out of lemonade. As I've expressed upthread, I really value this family time. We bought a house that we didn't really get to enjoy. Our old dog likes that he is not alone ten hours a day. It's just a shame that a sucky situation caused us to "press pause" in our lives.
That's insane.

And that "pause" will turn into a "permanent" if your wish is implemented.

I think that the American people should take some time to stay home, then just go about living when the numbers start to drop.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:19 PM

57,360 posts, read 26,276,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I am all but certain that, when the dust settles, it will be clear that California's peak was in early to mid-February. Before anyone was testing for it. Or freaking out about it.

Many thousands, if not millions, of us were sick beginning about January 18th with something quite nasty unlike anything we had had ever before in our lives. And that's 70 years, in my case.

Nasty? Yes. Life-threatening? No, not for the vast majority. But, no doubt there were some deaths in people with the usual comorbidities....just like there are from the flu each year. But, if we've learned anything, it is that assignment of death causes is anything but an exact science.

This threat was way overblown and our reaction to it will be hurting and costing us all a dear price for a long time to come. A price much greater than from the virus itself.

We've become a mob-rule society where voices of reason are quickly and easily snuffed out by screaming collectivist thugs.
How was it overblown, if anything we were slow to react with all the examples but we were way behind. What would you change looking back from where we are, would you have left businesses open longer or ignore the current guidelines.

We will be where California and Washington are in a few weeks, I don't see them planning on opening much of anything. If anything they are adding some measures.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:29 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I'm with you, but I think you're over-thinking this. We never had sufficient cause to shut down the country internally. International travel - yes, of course! Should have been severely curtailed long ago - for this and many other reasons. The list of problems, including this latest one, that we could have avoided is endless.

The "experts" who put Trump in an impossible political position to do anything but go along have one-dimensional mindsets. As though there weren't going to be dire consequences for following their lock down advice. And, as though COVID-19 was somehow going to disappear if we just wait a few months. They're not thinking past their nose.

This will go down as one of the biggest national policy blunders in US history. And Trump wanted no part of it. Because he knew better. But the mob came at him from every direction. He could not possibly have politically survived blocking the shutdown demands. He did the only thing he could do under the circumstances and we all know he did it against his better judgement.

But the mindless mob is already asking themselves what have we done? And aren't they fortunate that they have Trump to lead them out of this darkness, saving them from themselves. By biding his time and allowing the mindless mob to see for themselves the error of their ways, he will come out of this with unprecedented confidence in his leadership and more popularity throughout the voting public than ever thought possible.
You do realize, don't you, that we are doing what most other countries have done? This is not some blunder here, we are literally doing what we should be doing- what almost all other countries have done.

We have the most cases of any country in the world, so it makes sense that we definitely could not be the outlier who decides NOT to take these actions.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:33 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,112,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Thank god you're not in charge of anything.

I'll stick to the advice of world-renowned Infectious Disease expert Dr Anthony Fauci, not some random person on city-data. Thanks.
The same guy that claimed on Febuary 17th that the risk of infection to Americans was miniscule and there was no reason to be conerned about travel to anywhere but China?

By that point the world had gone from a few dozen to about 70k cases in a few weeks and the Chinese lockdown was on full spectacle. Hell I tried to by N95 masks in January and they were sold out.

That guy is an almost 80 year old Reagan appointed beaurocrat.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
This post ignores a fundamental fact: people who get the virus (often without overt symptoms), spread it.

You may be able to risk getting the infection for yourself, and accept the possible consequences for yourself, but you have no right to go about spreading it to others like some Typhoid Mary. We are a community, and this threat requires a community-wide response. If you want to go rogue with some plague in your system you will rightly be judged to be a public hazard, like a bridge out or a prairie fire.
Do you think that way with every virus, such at the annual flu? Are you saying that we should shut the country down for months to avoid anyone getting it?

Old 04-08-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
The US is not shut down, those activities are up to state and local governments.

By the way, your medical background is? I mean you have such a high opinion of your expertise on infectious diseases.
Which are all shut down. It's really splitting hairs to say that the US is not shut down. Of course it is.

Folks with medical backgrounds shouldn't be the only ones making these decisions, as their ONLY priority is to save every single life. An admirable goal, but unrealistic. If that were the only goal, then we should ban all cars, and never let anyone go outside ever, lest they catch something that may kill them.

There has to be some balance.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:51 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,422,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Which are all shut down. It's really splitting hairs to say that the US is not shut down. Of course it is.

Folks with medical backgrounds shouldn't be the only ones making these decisions, as their ONLY priority is to save every single life. An admirable goal, but unrealistic. If that were the only goal, then we should ban all cars, and never let anyone go outside ever, lest they catch something that may kill them.

There has to be some balance.
Not splitting hairs at all. There is no petitioning or complain about the US being shut down, because that is a state and local government thing, hence the stupid thread title of "time to reopen America", well, the feds did not close anything.

The medical people did not make the decisions, they gave recommendations, the elected leaders take that information along with other information, and come to decisions.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:02 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Not splitting hairs at all. There is no petitioning or complain about the US being shut down, because that is a state and local government thing, hence the stupid thread title of "time to reopen America", well, the feds did not close anything.
Let me guess, - the mayor of Chicago closed down air-travel, and when Trump says he will re-open the US, its just his usual bluster. Is that it?

One day, hopefully soon, the WH will declare the danger is over, and the economy can re-start, and then it will restart, but until they make that declaration, we are closed down.

Quote:
The medical people did not make the decisions, they gave recommendations, the elected leaders take that information along with other information, and come to decisions.
The admin is letting the medical people dictate policy, and he parrots it out to the whole nation on his daily presser. Heck, they even mailed a booklet called "President Trumps Guidelines to Covid".

Closing down the economy to this extent has been the costliest mistake the US has ever made, even costlier than the Iraq war, which has an astronomical price-tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.