Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2020, 05:52 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Are you taking bets on how long it will take to get to 2,000 deaths a day? I thought it would take until today to hit 1000 deaths a day, but we hit that last week. Maybe Friday of this week we'll get to 2,000?

I agree that comparisons to Pearl Harbor or 9/11 are inaccurate. Take Pearl Harbor and 9/11, leave the ships undamaged and the twin towers still standing, but kill all the people.

It reminds me of working construction. "Don't bleed on the carpet. I can always hire new workers, but carpets cost money."
Time will tell.

The IMHE model just got a real-world adjustment since the numbers it produced were was way off base from where it predicted we would be at this point. Take from that what you want.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You have to love the "logic" that....perhaps just when we can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel, doesn't have the patience to even wait 4 weeks and would rather circle around in the tunnel and make things worse!

They, that is, the "non-reasoning" crowd, are predictable each and every time. These are the same people who said it was overblown, who said there was no reason for lockdowns...until they DID....perhaps a week ago

NOW, the very same people are saying that it's been too long.

Can't make this stuff up. I'm provided with endless entertainment just from the hypocrisy.
As opposed to the people that crow you must wait for a vaccine before you re-enter society.

Whether or not the impact of this virus is overblown remains to be seen. However, there is no doubt the models' predictions were way overblown. They were fantastically wrong.

I love how you try to nuance the message that you are smarter than the audience here at CD as if we don't understand exactly what you are saying. Have the stones to say what is on your mind.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:14 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Your great grandparents, who lived through the depression, are ashamed of you.

Then again, maybe you're a boomer and that would explain it.
Ha, much younger than a boomer... I don't care who would be ashamed of me... it's not worth it to live through misery....

Old 04-06-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
My sentiments, exactly! I walk into a store and feel like I'm in a science fiction movie. I understand the precautions and we should continue with them but shutting down our economy entirely over this except for the bare necessities is a bit unreasonable, IMO. Who wants to live like a prisoner in their own home for a long time? What kind of life is that? No activities, no stimulation at all. That isn't America. The fact remains that most people will not die from this and those who do contract it usually recover. Those are the cold hard facts.
I'm just so sick and tired of this nonsense... people are changing.... they're so scared of this virus that they'll barricade themselves inside their homes.... that's just not a life...

Old 04-06-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Sugarbaker View Post
Better than dead.
Is it really? If the economy completely collapses and most people can't find jobs and pay for their basic needs, what would be the point of going on?

Old 04-06-2020, 06:18 PM

35,072 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Quote:
Good post. Thanks. I am also in IT. I think we should 100% divest from China when it comes to medicines and medical supplies. If there is one lesson to be learned from this pandemic, it's that China is not a friend to anyone but China. Let's make these things here regardless of cost. We are innovative. Just ask China. They prioritize stealing our technology and ideas.
China used to. They don't have to any more, since they are far ahead of the US in most areas. Except for narrow fields like CPUs, the USA has taken a back seat to Asia in R&D, just like it has in manufacturing.

The US government does not prioritize research. The Chinese government does. We lose.
Well, the Chinese just got caught not too long ago stealing vials of cancer research material.
If you equate R & D to industrial espionage Larry Caldwell is 100% right.
Quote:
I betting your prediction is on the high side and that's with the inflation of CV death stats by attributing every death to the virus regardless of previous condition and other possible causes.
You are quite right; there are no adjustments to co-morbidity. I doubt, for example, that CV is the only thing wrong with Boris Johnson.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
What do ALL of the extended lock-down zealots have in common?
That takes matters too far. I am an extreme leftist Democrat and I am not in favor of the lockdowns.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:59 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That takes matters too far. I am an extreme leftist Democrat and I am not in favor of the lockdowns.
  • No, you're not. I don't know why you keep saying that.
  • A refresher in logic is in order. Did I say all "extreme leftist Democrats" favored the lock-downs? If I say all 1958 Edsels are RWD, am I saying all RWD cars are 1958 Edsels?

Old 04-06-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
  • No, you're not. I don't know why you keep saying that.
  • A refresher in logic is in order. Did I say all "extreme leftist Democrats" favored the lock-downs? If I say all 1958 Edsels are RWD, am I saying all RWD cars are 1958 Edsels?
I sincerely apologize for the DM.

But, how are you so sure that I am not an extremely leftist Democrat?

Old 04-07-2020, 09:29 AM

Looks like we might be getting closer to this goal today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies