Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 05:23 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am making a larger point here. I am not in favor of government shutting down anything.

But in an area where the death toll far exceeds anywhere else in the country, they allow subway travel on a daily basis - while elsewhere at the same time arresting a father for playing T-ball with his daughter in the name of safety... or giving churches a hard time.

Something just seems wrong with this picture.

Yes, its that you do not comprehend what its like there. Public transit is how you get places, cars are insanely crowded on the road. Many people literally do not own a car, or even have a place to park one.

If you need to get food? Transit. drs appointment? Transit. They need transit in order for many to access critical services.

I live in a a large town and we could shut down transit, because we could fund deliveries. But trying to do that in NY just wouldn't physically work. I get the question though, I thought the same thing until I went back and thought about my last NY trip. Its one of those things that you would want to shut down, but cant because doing so will just make things worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 05:24 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
It never was, has been, claimed to be about 100 per cent stopping the spread.

It was, always has been about mitigation.

So by asking non-essential workers to stay home.
Asking New Yorkers to stay home.

The only peopl eon the subway are people that NEED the same way. Of course there is risk but it is a necessary evil.

So I'm sure they practice social distancing.....use masks, etc...and the facilities are sanitized.

It is stupid to suggest that keeping the subways open is a contradicting policy because the city closed public parks or mandated the closing of stores providing non-essential goods and services.

There is no comparison...and it is just silly to suggest there is.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:12 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
I am making a larger point here. I am not in favor of government shutting down anything.

But in an area where the death toll far exceeds anywhere else in the country, they allow subway travel on a daily basis - while elsewhere at the same time arresting a father for playing T-ball with his daughter in the name of safety... or giving churches a hard time.

Well, that's always the issue when we are talking about an involuntary centralized authority. It doesn't have any accountability and the edicts are always subjective.

Allowing millions to use the subway in NYC is the equivalent to chasing down that father for playing t-ball with his daughter: government says it's our judgement and since we're the government it is inherently the correct call.

Trying to figure it out isn't worth the trouble because it's not based in anything remotely logical never mind moral.

Democracy is mob rule.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:26 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
They are. What point are you trying to make?
That is nonsense. I am a physician and a conservative (most non primary care doctors are conservatives). I don't know of any physician who has opposed the shutdowns; everyone has considered them to be a prudent action in view of an unknown contagion for which we have no treatment/vaccine.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:19 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:

You don't live here, I OTOH *DO*, so can honestly say you just don't have a clue.

Took subway today as have done several times since PAUSE act went into effect/covid-19 hit NYC hard.

Nearly 80% or more of the people you see riding trains are essential workers; nurses, nursing assistants, various other healthcare employees, civil servants, employees at businesses still open, service workers, etc.....

For any given NYC hospital there are several hundred nurses, scores of assistants, techs and other workers who change shifts twice per day; just how exactly do you want these people to get to and from work? Not everyone lives two blocks from their job you know.

Even for a nurse who lives in Tribeca but works at New York Hospital you're talking about going from downtown on west side of Manhattan to upper east side way across down off York avenue; essentially going from one side of city to other.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,146,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is nonsense. I am a physician and a conservative (most non primary care doctors are conservatives). I don't know of any physician who has opposed the shutdowns; everyone has considered them to be a prudent action in view of an unknown contagion for which we have no treatment/vaccine.
If they support a government shutdown of businesses and free assembly, then they aren't conservatives.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:41 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
NYC has positioned itself so it can't operate in these conditions. They have to travel in close proximity on these subways in order to function. Doesn't work well for a pandemic. And they pretty much have held the entire country as hostage because of the way they function. It's because of NYC the virus numbers are so high. And they continue to do the same thing every day - because they have to.

My suggestion? Shut down NYC and let the rest of the country go to work.

All of Texas has just below 500 deaths. Nassau county in NYC has over 1300 deaths on its own. The neighboring county (Suffolk) - over 800 deaths.

We don't need to be shut down. NYC needs to be shut down.

Why am I being told that I can't drive in my car by myself - sit at my desk - and drive back home... when at the same time, crowds of people in NYC are huddled together in a small subway because that's their only choice? That would seem to be their problem moreso than my problem.

Nassau County is not in NYC, nor does it have Subways....

Old 04-20-2020, 10:02 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes, its that you do not comprehend what its like there. Public transit is how you get places, cars are insanely crowded on the road. Many people literally do not own a car, or even have a place to park one.

If you need to get food? Transit. drs appointment? Transit. They need transit in order for many to access critical services.

I live in a a large town and we could shut down transit, because we could fund deliveries. But trying to do that in NY just wouldn't physically work. I get the question though, I thought the same thing until I went back and thought about my last NY trip. Its one of those things that you would want to shut down, but cant because doing so will just make things worse.
And what I am saying is that the way of life there is inflating the virus numbers to the point where they got the whole country locked down.

I get it, which is why I made the point.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:09 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Lifestyles differ greatly in different parts of the USA

Many New Yorkers don't earn cars.

With limited uber/taxi options -- first responders, essential workers NEED transportation.

I'm always fascinated with how people in the USA have noc lue how different life is in different regions.

Have a good friend in New Jersey that just doesn't understand sometimes why her concerns aren't the same the people in rural South Carolina or South Dakota.
Is he/she one of those people that attack people in SC or SD as stupid or ignorant for not having "lockdown orders"-while not recognizing that conditions in those areas are nothing like hers?

Old 04-20-2020, 10:13 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You don't live here, I OTOH *DO*, so can honestly say you just don't have a clue.

Took subway today as have done several times since PAUSE act went into effect/covid-19 hit NYC hard.

Nearly 80% or more of the people you see riding trains are essential workers; nurses, nursing assistants, various other healthcare employees, civil servants, employees at businesses still open, service workers, etc.....

For any given NYC hospital there are several hundred nurses, scores of assistants, techs and other workers who change shifts twice per day; just how exactly do you want these people to get to and from work? Not everyone lives two blocks from their job you know.

Even for a nurse who lives in Tribeca but works at New York Hospital you're talking about going from downtown on west side of Manhattan to upper east side way across down off York avenue; essentially going from one side of city to other.
Essential or not - they are putting people at risk because they are in close proximity to others while in transit.

That's what the whole country is being told over and over again. It's why we can't go to church. It's why we can't go to work. Yet it happens in NYC every day. I understand they have to commute that way. Are they at less risk because they are essential that they are allowed to be confined to a subway car?

They in fact are putting themselves in harm's way - because they are "essential".

Meanwhile in the 4th largest city - 75 deaths. If you want to include the surrounding counties, 116. And we sit home while watching oil futures tank. I would bet that many would consider what happened today as essential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies