Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 01:12 PM

5,746 posts, read 2,799,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
All of this has me asking the same question over and over again. If nothing's really changed, why did the City of Minneapolis have to do anything?? If religions were already allowed to make their preferred noise on their own property, then why would the City of Minneapolis need to license them do ... something? What's changed?
What did the city do? Maybe you always needed the permit. Feel free to go into the very large book of city ordinances and look it up. I'm originally from Mpls and I know they have an ordinance about nearly everything.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:15 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,771,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Or, as the saying goes back in my home country (and someone with your user name ought to appreciate it): "Freedom means freedom for Loki as well as for Thor".
I love the quote and it is very apt. I agree. More importantly, the Constitution of the United States agrees.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

Minneapolis specifically licensed Muslims to do something that they apparently weren't allowed to do before. Precisely what? The moment that a government takes any action regarding any one religion, I'm immediately going to question it. If local, federal or state governments are acting on behalf of a specific religion, they're crossing the line.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:18 PM

15,061 posts, read 6,220,378 times
Quote:
I love the quote and it is very apt. I agree. More importantly, the Constitution of the United States agrees.

Minneapolis specifically licensed Muslims to do something that they apparently weren't allowed to do before. Precisely what? The moment that a government takes any action regarding any one religion, I'm immediately going to question it. If local, federal or state governments are acting on behalf of a specific religion, they're crossing the line.
The Muslim community applied for a permit to do something which all religions must apply for as well.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:20 PM

5,746 posts, read 2,799,297 times
Quote:

Correct which is why the city allowed the Mosque to do what any other place of religion is allowed to do. If they has disallowed it, as many posters here are saying, it would have been just what you are claiming.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:22 PM

7,519 posts, read 2,828,485 times
I find it hypocritical that people think the words below transmitted by loudspeaker across an entire portion of a city in Arabic is ok when many complain about a nativity or cross on a roadside or in a park. If a Christian church asked to have these words piped across a city 5 times per day the answer would be no.

The English translation of the adhan is:

God is Great! God is Great! God is Great! God is Great!
I bear witness that there is no god except the One God.
I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of God.
Hurry to the prayer. Hurry to the prayer.
Hurry to salvation. Hurry to salvation.
God is Great! God is Great!
There is no god except the One God.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:24 PM

15,061 posts, read 6,220,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I find it hypocritical that people think the words below transmitted by loudspeaker across an entire portion of a city is ok when many complain about a nativity or cross on a roadside or in a park. If a Christian church asked to have these words piped across a city 5 times per day the answer would be no.

The English translation of the adhan is:

God is Great! God is Great! God is Great! God is Great!
Hurry to the prayer. Hurry to the prayer.
Hurry to salvation. Hurry to salvation.
God is Great! God is Great!
There is no god except the One God.
I have no problem with the nativity, cross or call to prayer etc.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:25 PM

47,061 posts, read 26,194,922 times
Quote:
Minneapolis specifically licensed Muslims to do something that they apparently weren't allowed to do before. Precisely what?
Spread their message, from their property, within local noise ordinances - on par with other communities of faith. No preference, which is exactly what the First calls for.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:26 PM

7,519 posts, read 2,828,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I have no problem with the nativity, cross or call to prayer etc.
So you would have no problem with your local church piping a version of Amazing Grace 5 times per day for a month right?

Old 04-23-2020, 01:28 PM

39,947 posts, read 26,674,238 times
Quote:
Yes and this hasn't changed. The call to prayer is indeed sounded loud and clear to the entire neighborhood from the mosque. That's nothing new, and baring noise code violations, there's no law stopping them. So why would the government need to license them for anything?

It's because Islam is being allowed to pipe their call to prayer from public and non-religious property. Christian churches aren't. Minneapolis is tacitly endorsing Islam as the preferred religion of Minneapolis.

Now if they want let Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Bahia, Pagans and everyone else sound out their calls to religious observance on speaker systems set up on public property, then that'd be fair enough. To pass 1st Amendment muster, it'd have to be open to all religions. I would be highly curious what Pagan worshipers of Thor would do with it.
If that's true, it's time for the feds to come in and stomp them. No equal protection, not constitutional.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:29 PM

34,366 posts, read 18,748,613 times
Quote:
Fine for you I suppose, but if a predominantly Evangelical area was broadcasting this week's Sunday sermon over the loudspeakers all over town, the sue-crazy atheist crowds would be losing their damn minds.

It's not too much to ask for equal treatment under the law, is it?
^^^^This. /thread

Hypocrite Liberals get owned again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies