Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 12:17 PM

14,245 posts, read 4,623,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Calling people to prayer is the literal original purpose of church bells.

Religious institution A makes a noise that can be heard widely. Religious institution B does the same. The First Amendment doesn't leave you much wiggle room here, bud.
I don't follow any religion and I don't know the original of church bell. I always thought church bell is to let people know when it's noon or when the village is under attack by the barbarians like in the movies

But when a catholic or a muslim prays, I know it has something to do with religions.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:19 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,106,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Bells don't pray to God or tell people how to pray. .
My sister lives a half a block away from a Catholic catherdral. Every Saturday night and Sunday before each Mass--and there are three Masses on Sundays--the bells go off. And they go on for about a minute. The purpose of the bells is to tell everyone Mass is about to begin, i.e., a call to pray. What's the difference?

We get that you hate any religion that is not Christian, but we non-Christians have had to put up with your entitled religious traditions since forever, and God help anyone who complains.

I looked up the Call to Prayer and it's beautiful and haunting. I'd much rather hear that than bells that are noisy and obnoxious.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:19 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,110,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Once you hate someone, everything they do is offensive.
More projecting. The Left today is ALL about hate - hatred of Western civilization, Christianity, and whites.

All the Left does today is project.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I looked up the Call to Prayer and it's beautiful and haunting. .

What are your thoughts on cultures that make it mandatory, and make women cover from head to toe? Beautiful? I bet.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:23 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,106,376 times
Quote:
What are your thoughts on cultures that make it mandatory, and make women cover from head to toe? Beautiful? I bet.
I grew up Catholic. I had to cover my head in order to enter the church because women were not worthy. Women are still not allowed to be priests or have any say in the church heirarchy, but they sure are good enough to clean the pews every week. I know full well about women being treated as second class citizens within Christianity.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I grew up Catholic. I had to cover my head in order to enter the church because women were not worthy. Women are still not allowed to be priests or have any say in the church heirarchy, but they sure are good enough to clean the pews every week. I know full well about women being treated as second class citizens within Christianity.
That's ugly, but a woman getting stoned in Saudi Arabia is cool, right?

Old 04-23-2020, 12:27 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,527,204 times
Quote:
Yea. I don’t like Islam for many things, among them its treatment of women and gays. I sure as heck wouldn’t want to hear them singing to me five times a day via a loudspeaker. That’s a LOT more personal than a church bell ringing on Sunday in my opinion. We have a mosque about a mile from our home that has never attempted that personal level of intrusion, thank God. But on the plus side, it’s only during Ramadan. At least for now.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:32 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,756,258 times
Quote:
My sister lives a half a block away from a Catholic catherdral. Every Saturday night and Sunday before each Mass--and there are three Masses on Sundays--the bells go off. And they go on for about a minute. The purpose of the bells is to tell everyone Mass is about to begin, i.e., a call to pray. What's the difference?

We get that you hate any religion that is not Christian, but we non-Christians have had to put up with your entitled religious traditions since forever, and God help anyone who complains.

I looked up the Call to Prayer and it's beautiful and haunting. I'd much rather hear that than bells that are noisy and obnoxious.
I would be fine with hearing both or neither.

The legality and Constitutionality of the actions of the City of Minneapolis comes down to one simple thing here: Where?

The local Catholic Church sounds the bells on their own property, which is their right guaranteed by the 1st Amendment. Likewise, many many Mosques in the USA sound the call to prayer from a loudspeaker setup on the exterior of the mosque. Now if a city has noise ordinances in place, then Christian bells and Muslim call to prayer had to be turned down or off. Noise ordinances are ideologically neutral.

If the Muslim call to prayer is being sounded from public or non-Muslim properties then it violates the 1st Amendment. If the City of Minneapolis is granting only Muslims exemptions from noise ordinances, then it violates the 1st Amendment.

If everyone is being treated fairly and equally, I got no beef. It doesn't sound like they are.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:33 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,200,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Do they still do so? I haven't heard church bells on a Sunday morning in decades. But then again, I don't live in town, so honestly don't know. They, like any other organization, should be held to any noise ordinances the city has.
I hear them in DC all the time and my understanding is that they are exempt from noise ordinances.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:36 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,053,223 times
Quote:
That's ugly, but a woman getting stoned in Saudi Arabia is cool, right?
Do any of the Muslims you know think it’s “cool”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies