Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 12:04 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,771,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
This is being done by the Muslim community. All the government did was grant the permit.
Great, then as long as they're living by the same rules: Church bells only on Church property, Muslim call to prayer only at Mosques, then everybody is living by the same rules.

It sounds like the city is giving free reign to go well outside those bounds, and any city government needs to tread very carefully whenever they seem to be even passively endorsing a specific religion.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:05 PM

39,947 posts, read 26,674,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
When I was a kid, the Church Bells would start ringing about 10 minutes before the service started, it was a signal to go inside the Church. So in those long ago days, it was a call to prayer.
Do they still do so? I haven't heard church bells on a Sunday morning in decades. But then again, I don't live in town, so honestly don't know. They, like any other organization, should be held to any noise ordinances the city has.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:06 PM

39,947 posts, read 26,674,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Great, then as long as they're living by the same rules: Church bells only on Church property, Muslim call to prayer only at Mosques, then everybody is living by the same rules.

It sounds like the city is giving free reign to go well outside those bounds, and any city government needs to tread very carefully whenever they seem to be even passively endorsing a specific religion.
And any individual or business should be able to play their sound system at the same volume....

Gotta be some bbq places that could play some advertising nice and early...

Old 04-23-2020, 12:07 PM

79,045 posts, read 61,199,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I've had to endure both the call to prayer as well as the incessant church bell ringing courtesy of a Catholic church in my travels through life.

I wanted to beat the person responsible for both with a baseball bat.
Dang, if only you could have found them.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:08 PM

15,061 posts, read 6,220,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

People hear church bells well outside of the church, just as the call to prayer will be heard throughout that particular community. It’s no different.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:08 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,844,086 times
What is a "publicly owned loudspeaker" and why would that make a difference? They were loud enough!

Old 04-23-2020, 12:09 PM
Status: "Peace sells...but who's buying?" (set 15 days ago)

8,215 posts, read 3,662,101 times
If you walk out on to your own porch or yard and hear the muslim call to prayer blasting through your neighborhood you are living in occupied territory.

28,338 posts, read 16,471,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I've had to endure both the call to prayer as well as the incessant church bell ringing courtesy of a Catholic church in my travels through life.

I wanted to beat the person responsible for both with a baseball bat.
That's equal opportunity, right there.

35,845 posts, read 21,244,129 times
LOL - my son works for a cable company and they set up other media/ phones etc. He just told me whose meeting for religious practices -- they may not be advertising- but in Fl - we are home to different religions- I wont say who-- because on CD I'll be attacked and probably blocked for life, but no one should throw stones.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:17 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,771,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
People hear church bells well outside of the church, just as the call to prayer will be heard throughout that particular community. It’s no different.
Yes and this hasn't changed. The call to prayer is indeed sounded loud and clear to the entire neighborhood from the mosque. That's nothing new, and baring noise code violations, there's no law stopping them. So why would the government need to license them for anything?

It's because Islam is being allowed to pipe their call to prayer from public and non-religious property. Christian churches aren't. Minneapolis is tacitly endorsing Islam as the preferred religion of Minneapolis.

Now if they want let Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Bahia, Pagans and everyone else sound out their calls to religious observance on speaker systems set up on public property, then that'd be fair enough. To pass 1st Amendment muster, it'd have to be open to all religions. I would be highly curious what Pagan worshipers of Thor would do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies