Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 07:10 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/0...during-ramadan

You literally can't make this up. I mean...there just aren't any words whatsoever.

People snicker at my location (Mogadishu), but maybe it's not so laughable, eh?

Meanwhile, Christian churches in Minneapolis have been shuttered.

Nope, nothing to see here.
But it's OK for atheists to have to listen to church bells, right? For the past 200 years.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:13 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
The same people here and in American society in general who absolutely detest Christianity seem to really bend over backwards for Islam.

It's cu(kery at its worst, imo.
You're imagining what other people are thinking Kav. If you want to know what someone thinks you'll have to ask them. That's one of the problems I have with a friend of mine. He likes to give me my opinion so he can tell me what's wrong with it. I just let him argue with himself.

That's not mentally healthy tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
A whole weekend a summer?

Maybe you don't live near a Mosque because it isn't a weekend a summer, it is 5 times a day. At least thats what they do here. I live with it it. The Mosque was here before me. I wasn't aware of it or I would not have bout land here. I have learned to tune it out for the most part.
I live in the sticks kinda. There's a bar that is a mile walk to and a three-mile walk back from that has the outside band.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:19 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
But it's OK for atheists to have to listen to church bells, right? For the past 200 years.
Im an agnostic and Sunday Church bells is not the same as 5 times a day call to prayer. Nor are church bells a language. Lets compare apples to apples.

If those christian churches were reading the Lord's Prayer over loud a speaker you would have an absolutely valid point.

Would you be so open minded to someone blasting Grunge Rock or Bluegrass from the 40's, 5 times a day?

Would you be so open minded to someone blasting Rush Limbaugh 5 times a day?

No you wouldn't and I wouldn't blame you either.

Edit. I changed atheist to agnostic. I don't believe in organized religions

Last edited by boneyard1962; 04-23-2020 at 07:34 PM..

Old 04-23-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Im an atheist and Sunday Church bells is not the same as 5 times a day call to prayer. Nor are church bells a language. Lets compare apples to apples.

If those christian churches were reading the Lord's Prayer over loud a speaker you would have an absolutely valid point.

Would you be so open minded to someone blasting Grunge Rock or Bluegrass from the 40's, 5 times a day?

We really need to see how loud this is. Kav should go tape it with his phone the first day and upload it. It's kind of hard to relate to.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:22 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
But, but, but they're not the same thing! Surely you realize that!
THIS 100000%%% correct!!

they DEFINITELY arent!! You can;t get any SJW points for being ok with church bells. Being ok with Muslim call to prayer gives you woke points!!

It's ok to hate one, but racist to not like the other. so you are a million percent spot on correct!!

Old 04-23-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
There is truth in what you say. Many are rabidly opposed to anything to do with the church, but delight in bending low for muslims and making excuses for them. It's called being a hypocrite.

I am agnostic. I don't want religion, any religion involved in government, but I don't oppose people having their faith. Just don't try to force it on me.

Call to prayer that is heard for miles? Yeah that is pushing it on others, by forcing them to contend with it.
Quote:
Im an atheist and Sunday Church bells is not the same as 5 times a day call to prayer. Nor are church bells a language. Lets compare apples to apples.

I don't think you are either. Seriously, you couldn't stay in character for 5 minutes.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
THIS 100000%%% correct!!

they DEFINITELY arent!! You can;t get any SJW points for being ok with church bells. Being ok with Muslim call to prayer gives you woke points!!

It's ok to hate one, but racist to not like the other. so you are a million percent spot on correct!!
It's called consistency. If the value is freedom of religion.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You're imagining what other people are thinking Kav. If you want to know what someone thinks you'll have to ask them. That's one of the problems I have with a friend of mine. He likes to give me my opinion so he can tell me what's wrong with it. I just let him argue with himself.

That's not mentally healthy tho.

I live in the sticks kinda. There's a bar that is a mile walk to and a three-mile walk back from that has the outside band.
Yeah I lived in the sticks in place just like that. We had 2 bars. 1 was a 1.7 mile brutal up hill walk home and the other 2 miles brutal either way.
One had an annual turkey shoot fund raiser, usually for a local family who needed help. Shooting started at 1 pm and ended by 5. A lot of swing shifters in the area, so they let you sleep a while.

The other had Sunday fireman chicken BBQ. Proceeds went to the local volunteer Fire dept.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I don't think you are either. Seriously, you couldn't stay in character for 5 minutes.
Well more of an agnostic. I detest organized religions for what they are. Tools to control the masses. Atheists are pretty much a religion in and of themselves. The anti-religion religion.

If I had to pick a religion I detest most? Islam hands down no contest. Nest would be any of the southern you got slayed while speaking in tongues types.

I haven't stepped foot in a church since the 80's and that was for weddings.

I do vist Buddhist temples, they are beautiful and Buddhists don't try to force their crap on you. Well most don't.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
well more of an agnostic. I detest organized religions for what they are. Tools to control the masses. Atheists are pretty much a religion in and of themselves. The anti-religion religion.

I f I had to pick a religion I detest most? Islam hands down no contest. Nest would be any of the southern you got slayed while speaking in tongues types.
I describe myself as an agnostic atheist. Atheist just means you haven't been convinced there is a diety. You don't have to state there isn't one to be an atheist. Agnostic added to the atheist because I don't believe we have enough evidence either way. I just lean heavily toward there not being a diety. Sometimes I like to call myself a poly-atheist because I believe there is not sufficient proof for multiple gods instead of the one true likely nonexistent God.

I like Islamic extremists even less than I like Christain extremists. They're all so rapey; blaming women for sexual assault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies