Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 10:43 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Well America never had all these loony issues before we were sold a pack of lies 1965 Immigration Act.

It appears the lies of that Act were nothing more than a tool to bludgeon Christianity and dominant European-Amerixan America.

We are today seeing the fruit of the lies of the 65 Act to completely and forever change the face of America in a million ways.

I don't care what any dem says, America was MUCH GREATER back then. When we didn't have these sorts of cockamamie communist woke issues shoved down our throats
So the truth comes out. Brown people came and took muh freedoms

Old 04-23-2020, 10:44 PM

2,450 posts, read 973,819 times
Quote:
Most Americans don't even view a church bell as religious. Islam playing over loudspeakers at 4am?...followed 4 more times?? LUNACY.
Church bells serve as a gentle reminder of the time and that the church and God are always there. 65% of this country identifies as Christian. Sadly, those numbers are down 20% from 2000. The Church lost a lot of us with their pedophile scandals and I will never fully trust the Catholic church ever again. That doesn't mean I have lost my faith in God, or Jesus Christ. I know a lot of people feel the same way I do. If they don't want to hear the wailing screams of a savage religion that proclaims death to all infidels they better step up to the plate and act.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:18 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Quote:
Bells don't pray to God or tell people how to pray.

Gaslighting...you lefties just love using it. More Saul Alinsky nonsense.
Well, you don’t have to pray but you could use the periodic call to prayer to remind yourself of your puny miserable existence in the greater realm of creation. A touch of spiritual humility, perhaps. I doubt that you will hear it anyway.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:23 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Same. I spent time in Makassar, Indonesia and really got used to hearing Azan.
That's good for you, but many like myself don't find it to be so. Especially when it revs up every street dog in a mile radius and gets them howling with it.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:27 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Well, you don’t have to pray but you could use the periodic call to prayer to remind yourself of your puny miserable existence in the greater realm of creation. A touch of spiritual humility, perhaps. I doubt that you will hear it anyway.
Perhaps that is what you can use. Many like myself could live a life time without listening to it. It is noise pollution. No different than some idiot blasting Grunge rock at 100 decibels. The difference is that one form tries to hide behind religious freedom.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:29 PM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Same. I spent time in Makassar, Indonesia and really got used to hearing Azan.
Must have gotten used to the growing Anti LGBT movements that are common and growing in Indonesia and most Islamic countries.

"Indonesia proposes bill to force LGBTQ people into 'rehabilitation'
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...ation-n1146861

'It's dangerous': Sinaga case fuels LGBT backlash in Indonesia
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...232137541.html

Old 04-23-2020, 11:32 PM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Naw, it's just a reminder of a religion that is incompatible with the modern western world.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:31 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,923 times
The OP article states this:
"The speaker will be placed outside Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic Center near the intersection of South Fifth Street and Cedar Avenue. It will be played at volumes consistent with city regulations. Thousands of residents living nearby should be able to hear the adhan."

That is a pretty dense mixed use residential area.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9683.../data=!3m1!1e3

How loud exactly is "volumes consistent with city regulations"? I would imagine it is pretty loud if the call to prayer will be reaching "thousands" of residents. This issue is key in my opinion.

I live now, and have for many years before, in muslim countries, due to my work. The first call to prayer everyday comes at dawn, I now live within range of 3 different mosques. The volume is ear splitting when I get near the any of those mosques. Fortunately my current house is not very close to any of the mosques, and is built pretty solid with tight double pane windows. I can hear it loudly only when I go outside. But in the past I lived in Muscat, Oman within a block of a mosque and the call of prayer at dawn drove me nuts. It was friggen loud. I had fantasies of of using my drone to fly a can of expanding spray foam up to the damn minaret and plugging up the speakers. I ended up moving at some point instead, it impacted my quality of life.

The volume of this call to prayer in Minneapolis is a key factor. During Ramadan, it is also common for Friday afternoon sermons to be broadcast in their entirety via the loudspeakers also.

In the middle east I realize I am in their country, not the other way around so i simply put up with the annoyance. I have no other choice while i am working here.

The United States is not a muslim majority country, and never will be, so these religious based cultural things like broadcasting the call to prayer will never be "the norm" with most normal Americans. If I lived near that mosque in Minneapolis, and they broadcast at volume, I would certainly challenge the city legal statutes. I used to live in the Phillips neighborhood just west of there, so I know that area somewhat. I wouldn't want to hear that noise every morning at dawn, or have it interrupt my nice weather afternoon/evening outdoor time either like I deal with now. Not in my own neighborhood.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:09 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Why should he, or anyone not Muslim, have to listen to the Muslim prayer which, obviously, states things in opposition to their beliefs? And at 5:00 a.m. when non-Muslims are asleep, and don’t want to be woken up by it?

And what you just said is just as prejudiced as telling a Jew that he could use the Christian Lord Prayer’s to remind him of his puny existence.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:42 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Without getting into legalities, I would hate this. If it continued, I'd be looking to move. For all the reasons above.

To some of our Western ears, it sounds like screeching and the dogs do howl. I've noticed many Chinese restaurants don't play their music as background for the same reason. Too jarring for Western ears.

Not a value judgment, just a cultural thing. In their own country, have at it. Can't accept "death to infidels" though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies