Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 12:27 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I was raised in a Protestant church-going home and never once knew church bells were a "call to worship". What the Left are doing equating the two is just their way of dishonesty and muddying the waters.
Really? So it never even occurred to you that church bells often ring prior to service? To call people to worship there.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:27 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,730,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
You’re right. America was just beating, raping and sodomizing people during slavery and raping and lynching people during Jim Crow...all while claiming to be Christian.

That darn immigration brought people who want to pray 5 times a day.

There has never been a slave-culture in the history of the world quite as massive and horrific as Islam. They took more slaves from Africa than Europe did by several million. They took slaves from India. They took slaves from Central Asia. They took slaves from all over Europe. The term slave derives from Slav because the Slavs were so frequently sold into the Muslim slave markets. The African slave markets that the Europeans utilized were already in place and used by Islam in the Trans-Saharan slave caravans. Those people had been accustomed to selling captives from rival tribes into slavery for centuries before the Europeans started buying them. Islam gave masters full permission to rape their female slaves without consequence as their god-given right. Male slaves were simply castrated. Disobey and you're just killed, no questions asked. The Muslim slave trade existed for almost a millennia before the United States and colonial powers picked up on it.

Slavery in Islamic lands never really ended either. If you have the money and connections, you can head right over to Libya and buy a big strong black slave right off the auction block right now. There are millions of slaves throughout the Middle East and in other predominantly Muslim nations.

The Koran actually teaches slavery as an acceptable institution, a fact which informs many practitioners to this day. The Christian Bible does not prohibit slavery but Christians religions have actively opposed slavery since the 400's AD. It was a bunch of conscientious Christians who became Abolitionists in both the USA and the UK, leading the charge to ending the practice in the Western nations.

Islamic culture is not anti-rape, anti-slave and it does not promote human rights. If you are Muslim, you might or might not have limited rights. If you're not, you have no expectation of any rights at all. Take a look at how well minority Christian populations are treated in Muslim nations if you doubt me.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:31 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I was raised in a Protestant church-going home and never once knew church bells were a "call to worship". What the Left are doing equating the two is just their way of dishonesty and muddying the waters.
It is dishonest - doctrine isn't the same as music, however you cut it.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:32 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,498,806 times
Quote:
Hymns are played via church bells as well and, people know or not, the regular bells ringing are a call to prayer. Most people don’t understand Arabic either. So all they are listening to are melodic sounds either way.
So because we don’t understand Arabic, it’s OK? Now that I know it’s a prayer about salvation, as determined by Muslim doctrine, I find it insensitive at best and offensive at worst.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
There has never been a slave-culture in the history of the world quite as massive and horrific as Islam. They took more slaves from Africa than Europe did by several million. They took slaves from India. They took slaves from Central Asia. They took slaves from all over Europe. The term slave derives from Slav because the Slavs were so frequently sold into the Muslim slave markets. The African slave markets that the Europeans utilized where already in place and used by Islam in the Trans-Saharan slave caravans. Those people had been accustomed to selling captives from rival tribes into slavery for centuries before the Europeans started buying them. Islam gave masters full permission to rape their female slaves without consequence as their god-given right. Male slaves were simply castrated. Disobey and you're just killed, no questions asked. The Muslim slave trade existed for almost a millennia before the United States and colonial powers picked up on it.

Slavery in Islamic lands never really ended either. If you have the money and connections, you can head right over to Libya and buy a big strong black slave right off the auction block right now. There are millions of slaves throughout the Middle East and in other predominantly Muslim nations.

The Koran actually teaches slavery as an acceptable institution, a fact which informs many practitioners to this day. The Christian Bible does not prohibit slavery but Christians religions have actively opposed slavery since the 400's AD. It was a bunch of conscientious Christians who became Abolitionists in both the USA and the UK, leading the charge to ending the practice in the Western nations.

Islamic culture is not anti-rape, anti-slave and it does not promote human rights. If you are Muslim, you might or might not have limited rights. If you're not, you have no expectation of any rights at all. Take a look at how well minority Christian populations are treated in Muslim nations if you doubt me.
It is common knowledge that Islam was involved in the slave trade and that slavery is alive and well in a number of Muslim nations. However my post was in response to a claim that AMERICA never had such “loony issues” prior to 1965. No matter how much you and others might want to deny it, that is patently false. America was rife with beating, rape, sodomy and lynching.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So because we don’t understand Arabic, it’s OK? Now that I know it’s a prayer about salvation, as determined by Muslim doctrine, I find it insensitive at best and offensive at worst.
It’s neither here nor there, imho. It’s similar to the hymns that you might not recognize yet they play on the church bells.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:42 PM

853 posts, read 336,713 times
I work less than a mile from this neighborhood. A lot of my coworkers are Somali Muslims. In general they are good people. I have no beef with them. They want the same things as previous waves of immigrants - prosperity, peace, safety and good lives for their kids. They dress differently and have a different religion but those are the only differences and are largely superficial.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:09 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,730,895 times
Quote:
It is common knowledge that Islam was involved in the slave trade and that slavery is alive and well in a number of Muslim nations. However my post was in response to a claim that AMERICA never had such “loony issues” prior to 1965. No matter how much you and others might want to deny it, that is patently false. America was rife with beating, rape, sodomy and lynching.
I wholeheartedly disagree that it is common knowledge. There is a history professor who quizzes his graduating students to try to determine how aware they are of the world and it's history. A good majority of them believed that slavery began in in the United States, only ever existed in the United States and ended when the United States ended it. This is likely due to the fact the outside of slavery in the USA, history classes almost never talk about the practice.

I would be amazed if you could find anything resembling a majority of Americans who are aware that slavery is alive and well in the Muslim world today. Most people have no idea. If you're lucky, 10% of Americans know better, but I'm probably being too generous.

Yes the West has a history of stupid stuff. But as the well known Atheist thinker Sam Harris put it, "We have to be able to criticize bad ideas, and Islam is the mother lode of bad ideas." I think that on the other side of a massive Reformation movement in Islam, the religion has wonderful potential. The problem is that the vast majority of Muslims are anti-Reformists. You can't drag a religion of 1.5 billion people kicking and screaming into the modern world. They have to do it themselves. Modern Jews have ignore a lot of scripture that is pro-slaughter, pro-genocide, anti-gay and pro-slavery. Christians do much the same. Islam needs to get there, and the sooner the better. It's not an exaggeration even a large portion of US citizens who are Muslims believe in the death penalty for Muslim apostates.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree that it is common knowledge. There is a history professor who quizzes his graduating students to try to determine how aware they are of the world and it's history. A good majority of them believed that slavery began in in the United States, only ever existed in the United States and ended when the United States ended it. This is likely due to the fact the outside of slavery in the USA, history classes almost never talk about the practice.

I would be amazed if you could find anything resembling a majority of Americans who are aware that slavery is alive and well in the Muslim world today. Most people have no idea. If you're lucky, 10% of Americans know better, but I'm probably being too generous.

Yes the West has a history of stupid stuff. But as the well known Atheist thinker Sam Harris put it, "We have to be able to criticize bad ideas, and Islam is the mother lode of bad ideas." I think that on the other side of a massive Reformation movement in Islam, the religion has wonderful potential. The problem is that the vast majority of Muslims are anti-Reformists. You can't drag a religion of 1.5 billion people kicking and screaming into the modern world. They have to do it themselves. Modern Jews have ignore a lot of scripture that is pro-slaughter, pro-genocide, anti-gay and pro-slavery. Christians do much the same. Islam needs to get there, and the sooner the better. It's not an exaggeration even a large portion of US citizens who are Muslims believe in the death penalty for Muslim apostates.
All that is well and good and some your opinion. However, the false statement made was about the U.S. and U.S. history. That is what my post addressed.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
So are you all equally offended when church bells ring? And before you all call me a godless liberal, I used to ring the bell at church.
I'm not offended by this at all but I didnt know what adhan was exactly so I had to look it up. It really isnt the same as a church bell, its an actual prayer so you really cant compare the two.

Anyway, I always loved hearing church bells, the sound is soothing to me. I imaging Muslims love the sound of Adhan. I'm not sure why any religions call to worship is offensive to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies