Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 08:19 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,536,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
No, I distinguish between music and prayer.
...and declaration of Muslim theology, loudly, through the streets of the city.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:59 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
...and declaration of Muslim theology, loudly, through the streets of the city.
I tell, you, just awful that this happens. What are they thinking of? Especially in a predominantly Muslim neighborhood.

It's almost like ringing church bells in Tennesse on a Sunday calling parishioners to prayer. Just terrible!

Old 04-25-2020, 11:59 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
This entire nation has shifted left, and liberals are more radical today than they ever have been.

The nation is also as divided as ever.
I've been on the left side of the political equation for over fifty years, and I can assure you that Saul Alinsky has done less to add to the nation's divide than your fears of liberalism has. I remember reading some of Alinsky's stuff and thinking that he made some sense with regard to the need for inner city people, suffering from poverty, to begin the task of organizing themselves around the issues of institutional poverty-- amid the fact of the power construct in America keeping poor people down due to a lack of political power. You, as a person on the right wing of politics sees the freedom of others as a threat to your's.

Speaking truth to power, it's ironic, seeing as how that was the forte of Washington, Jefferson, and others in the colonial times, they defied the crown's rule and ended up advocating for an entirely new nation. That's radical! The "entire nation" sure as hell has a long ways to go before it could be considered shifted to the left. Your statements are just over the top with irony, you live in a country ran by Donald Trump, and all the while saying that the "entire" country has shifted left.

I'm old, I've lived in America my entire life. My views of this nation have always been tempered with the idea that we are SUPPOSED to speak out against the real enemy of our democracy, and that includes all attempts to create a full on plutocracy--of which we now have for the most part. Doing so, isn't the stuff of radical behavior, it's simply us doing what the constitution was set up to do, exercising our right to redress our political grievances..

Old 04-25-2020, 12:04 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I tell, you, just awful that this happens. What are they thinking of? Especially in a predominantly Muslim neighborhood.

It's almost like ringing church bells in Tennesse on a Sunday calling parishioners to prayer. Just terrible!
They're thinking of their god and themselves, and they're not thinking about anyone else.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:08 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
It just signals the arrival of people who brought us Mohammad, the Slaver, the Murderer, the child Molester

But it sounds so *soothing,* so innocent - that call to prayer.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:09 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
They're thinking of their god and themselves, and they're not thinking about anyone else.
Just like that clanging of church bells in Tennessee, right?

Old 04-25-2020, 01:17 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Just like that clanging of church bells in Tennessee, right?
No - a big difference between actual prayers proclaiming core doctrine and with a very specific purpose.

The other is just some bells, that may or may not have specific meaning.

Perhaps you struggle with the difference, because you see the muslim call to prayers as meaningless noise than means nothing - much the same way as I see bells.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:09 PM

9,887 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Yes, please see my previous posts. I am a Christian and have no problem with hearing prayers from any other religion. Christian songs are played via church bells in certain places, including the capital of this nation. Also, Ramadan is not all year.
...and that's an important thing. They asked for permission to play during Ramadan. It's their holiest season and just like most Christians and Jews, most Muslims only pay attention to their religion during holy seasons. As my Pastor says, you can see the submarine Catholics - they surface twice a year.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:50 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
...and that's an important thing. They asked for permission to play during Ramadan. It's their holiest season and just like most Christians and Jews, most Muslims only pay attention to their religion during holy seasons. As my Pastor says, you can see the submarine Catholics - they surface twice a year.
LOL...that’s true. Not sure why people are acting as though this is ongoing. It’s one month.

Old 04-25-2020, 03:11 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/0...during-ramadan

You literally can't make this up. I mean...there just aren't any words whatsoever.

People snicker at my location (Mogadishu), but maybe it's not so laughable, eh?

Meanwhile, Christian churches in Minneapolis have been shuttered.

Nope, nothing to see here.
...the mosques have been shuttered too, so no difference. I'm sure Muslims have heard church bells from many churches over the years so what's the big deal to hear a call for worship? They are a pretty sizable minority in Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies