Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 03:59 AM

8,386 posts, read 4,372,592 times

Advertisements

Some people have no respect for anything.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:03 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Progressive does not equal pro-Islam.

I want nothing to do with their repressive, violent belief system.

As a progressive, what I want is health care and fair labor practices, lol. No open borders either.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:06 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
And there you go. The imbedded video clip included a recording of their first pre dawn call to prayer which sounded pretty loud in comparison to where it was being recorded from.

The article even mentions how they are so happy as this is a first in such a densely populated American city.

This virus situation just happened to be a pretty convenient thing to push this public call to prayer forward in ever so progressive Minneapolis.
I now predict the next move. They will press to publicly broadcast the call to prayer round the year, past ramadan.
Then the other 30+ mosques in the twin cities area (many also in residential areas) will start clamoring for their own speaker systems.
I put up with that noisy clamoring 5 times a day at the moment because I happen to temporarily live and work in a muslim country, but I wont be here forever. I grew up in Minneapolis, it is my hometown. I would not want to hear that 5 times a day at any volume near my home in the U.S., much less at the typical broadcast volume.

Creeping sharia.

It also wasn't lost on me near the end of the article how they pitched muslim business bailouts and rent freezes in their high rises.
The government will not take this away from them. It will be here to stay.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:36 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
They had to be issued a special noise permit because they are exceeding the laws currently in place. So Muslims are allowed to disrespect non-Muslims by subjecting them to a loud prayer antithetical to their beliefs - beginning at dawn - but Christians sitting in their cars, disturbing nobody, are issued citations.
Municipal code for Minneapolis (link below) shows there is a sound level limit tied to the permit of no more than 5dba over ambient sound levels at a private residence. I would wager pretty safely these loudspeakers are above that in the surrounding blocks using the sample uploaded from the first call. Also any private residences within 300 feet must give written permission per event for the permit to be issued. I would not be surprised if there is private quarters that close. If so, did they give permission? Local ordinances also have restrictions of noise before 7 am. The very first call to prayer was at 06:13 am. There is noise emission time limits spread over a day that they will likely be within (regarding how long the noise is emitted), but they didn't change the hours when it can start and stop.

Special consideration indeed. I can see this noise getting challenged.

https://library.municode.com/mn/minn...89.105PESOAMEQ

Quote:
We all know that progressives favor Muslims over other religions, but this has gone too far. At the minimum, they should have been required to abide by normal noise restrictions. They are there for a purpose - not to disturb your neighbors.
Islam and the western left, once again side by side.

Quote:
And it sets a dangerous precedent. My area is 10% Muslim, with one house of prayer within walking distance. Will my neighborhood be next, and will I be forced to hear Muslim doctrine - again antithetical to my beliefs - blasted five times a day?
Ummm, that is how the call to prayer is supposed to work. BTW, I read somewhere (I lost the link now) that the Minneapolis mosque is broadcasting in Somali, Oromo, Arabic and English languages.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:44 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
The government will not take this away from them. It will be here to stay.
That would not surprise me. The virus thing was obviously just a convenience to get it all started.

CAIR argued that the mosque-goers needed the call to prayer in order to synchronize congregants in the mostly Somali Muslim neighborhood, a claim some Muslim reformers aren’t buying.

On the Endeavor Against Extremism podcast with Shireen Qudosi, Dalia Al-Aqidi, a secular Muslim currently running for Congress in the MN-5 district, said she’s suspicious of the effort:

“There are plenty of ways for Muslims to be reminded of prayer times. Apps and phone alerts make this very easy. They have apps for Adhan (call to prayer) itself. What’s happening here seems like an effort by Islamists to claim territory for themselves. We should be skeptical of the motives of this mosque in particular.”

https://www.centerforsecuritypolicy....er-permission/

A few years back there was even sharia compliance patrols linked to that mosque, which have since been shut down.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:41 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
That’s really nice.

Personally, I find the Muslim call to prayer beautiful...soothing.
The quintessential liberal in the Current Year. If it was a recording of Amazing Grace you'd be apoplectic.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:17 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
As if you - or any of the hand-wringers in this thread - could tell the difference between the adhan and someone reciting his grandmother's falafel recipe.

Can you guys at least concede that for something to count as an effort to indoctrinate, it would probably work better if the intended indoctrination victims understand what's being said?

If you know the meaning, then you know the message.

What about Arabic speakers who have no wish to hear specific religious doctrine spewed out in public places - don't these people deserve the same right as you? , to not have public places turned into an extension of a mosque or church?

Bottom line is that you're a bully, and believe by extension of your support of this, that any public place at any time, is open season for broadcasting specific religious doctrine to people who don't want to hear it. Your idea of religious freedom, favours the right to spread a message, over the right to not hear it.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:31 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I am exposed to the dominant religious doctrine that promotes its will constantly, not only through noisy church bells but hires police to stop traffic so those that go to churches are not inconvenienced to waiting before they go to Cracker Barrel or some buffet, that tries to influence public policy to include their belief system, that thinks their version of a superior being is the only one, not even considering that their favorite fairy tale is just that, and one that accepts discrimination against 'others' as 'righteous' because of those fairy tales.

You are correct.

They are insidious.
Just sounds like traffic control and being able to engage in the political process to me - do you have issues with either of those?

You claim that talk of superior fairy tales is insidious, yet seem to support an attempt to actually make this lawful in public places - I would suggest that you are an inconsistent bully.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:34 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
All religion is silly and requires otherwise seemingly normal people to believe in fairy tales. Why Islam is seen as more so than Christianity or Judaism or Scientology or Satanism is beyond me.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:44 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/0...during-ramadan

You literally can't make this up. I mean...there just aren't any words whatsoever.

People snicker at my location (Mogadishu), but maybe it's not so laughable, eh?

Meanwhile, Christian churches in Minneapolis have been shuttered.

Nope, nothing to see here.
There's nothing stopping Christians from blaring out a call for prayer, where followers can heed the call to pray privately in their own homes.

Now, if people were still crowding together inside mosques, maybe then you'd actually have a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies