Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 09:41 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...145353618.html

Seems muslims are celebrating this as a victory for Islam and still want more

And there you go. The imbedded video clip included a recording of their first pre dawn call to prayer which sounded pretty loud in comparison to where it was being recorded from.

The article even mentions how they are so happy as this is a first in such a densely populated American city.

This virus situation just happened to be a pretty convenient thing to push this public call to prayer forward in ever so progressive Minneapolis.
I now predict the next move. They will press to publicly broadcast the call to prayer round the year, past ramadan.
Then the other 30+ mosques in the twin cities area (many also in residential areas) will start clamoring for their own speaker systems.
I put up with that noisy clamoring 5 times a day at the moment because I happen to temporarily live and work in a muslim country, but I wont be here forever. I grew up in Minneapolis, it is my hometown. I would not want to hear that 5 times a day at any volume near my home in the U.S., much less at the typical broadcast volume.

Creeping sharia.

It also wasn't lost on me near the end of the article how they pitched muslim business bailouts and rent freezes in their high rises.

Last edited by snebarekim; 04-25-2020 at 10:53 PM..

Old 04-25-2020, 09:53 PM

46,967 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
There are noise issues and then there are efforts to indoctrinate - don't get your first world sleep-in problem, confused with insidious efforts to promote specific religious doctrine in public places.
As if you - or any of the hand-wringers in this thread - could tell the difference between the adhan and someone reciting his grandmother's falafel recipe.

Can you guys at least concede that for something to count as an effort to indoctrinate, it would probably work better if the intended indoctrination victims understand what's being said?

Old 04-25-2020, 10:08 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Can Satanists make loud calls to prayer too? What is good for the goose is good for the gander... The Islamic community shouldn't be upset, right?

Old 04-25-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
As if you - or any of the hand-wringers in this thread - could tell the difference between the adhan and someone reciting his grandmother's falafel recipe.

Can you guys at least concede that for something to count as an effort to indoctrinate, it would probably work better if the intended indoctrination victims understand what's being said?
Let's see a mosque get opened near where you live, and loudly blare that noise (in any language) 5 times a day, including when you are sleeping.

I bet you would not congratulate yourself on your tolerant and inclusive nature, but instead "wring your hands".

Old 04-25-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Let's see a mosque get opened near where you live, and loudly blare that noise...
You're missing the point. Does "indoctrination" work when the (assumed) audience does not understand the language? (That's a yes or no question, btw.)

Anyway, the local community seems to be pretty fine with it, so....

Old 04-25-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Can Satanists make loud calls to prayer too? What is good for the goose is good for the gander... The Islamic community shouldn't be upset, right?
One would hope so. Back when, a bunch of Norwegian atheists decided to put it to the test and filed for permission to announce "God does not exist" at church bell levels. The local authorities said "Sure, wear yourselves out" and that ended it.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:

Really? You are basing that in what exactly? It's only been two days. I have no doubt there are those around that mosque that are less than pleased with that 5 times a day racket.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:42 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
One would hope so. Back when, a bunch of Norwegian atheists decided to put it to the test and filed for permission to announce "God does not exist" at church bell levels. The local authorities said "Sure, wear yourselves out" and that ended it.
False equivalency . Norwegians are not Americans. Completely different culture. I like my Norwegian friends, I am surrounded by them. I can tell you this. They like Muslims even less than most Americans I know. They actually approved of Trumps list of muslims countries that were banned. Church bells? They wouldn't care about. The ones I know all hate the daily calls to prayer.

Old 04-26-2020, 03:55 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
They had to be issued a special noise permit because they are exceeding the laws currently in place. So Muslims are allowed to disrespect non-Muslims by subjecting them to a loud prayer antithetical to their beliefs - beginning at dawn - but Christians sitting in their cars, disturbing nobody, are issued citations.

We all know that progressives favor Muslims over other religions, but this has gone too far. At the minimum, they should have been required to abide by normal noise restrictions. They are there for a purpose - not to disturb your neighbors.

And it sets a dangerous precedent. My area is 10% Muslim, with one house of prayer within walking distance. Will my neighborhood be next, and will I be forced to hear Muslim doctrine - again antithetical to my beliefs - blasted five times a day?

Old 04-26-2020, 03:59 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Quote:
You're missing the point. Does "indoctrination" work when the (assumed) audience does not understand the language? (That's a yes or no question, btw.)

Of course it does, by normalisation and government endorsement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies