Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 05:54 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Every flippin' Sunday, at least. Annoying as all get out when I am trying to sleep in.
I was asking that person who lives in LA, seemingly? And most likely on the West Side. Church bells are probably about as common as pig tracks where she lives.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:11 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Every flippin' Sunday, at least. Annoying as all get out when I am trying to sleep in.
There are noise issues and then there are efforts to indoctrinate - don't get your first world sleep-in problem, confused with insidious efforts to promote specific religious doctrine in public places.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:22 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
There are noise issues and then there are efforts to indoctrinate - don't get your first world sleep-in problem, confused with insidious efforts to promote specific religious doctrine in public places.
I am exposed to the dominant religious doctrine that promotes its will constantly, not only through noisy church bells but hires police to stop traffic so those that go to churches are not inconvenienced to waiting before they go to Cracker Barrel or some buffet, that tries to influence public policy to include their belief system, that thinks their version of a superior being is the only one, not even considering that their favorite fairy tale is just that, and one that accepts discrimination against 'others' as 'righteous' because of those fairy tales.

You are correct.

They are insidious.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:33 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
I am exposed to the dominant religious doctrine that promotes its will constantly, not only through noisy church bells but hires police to stop traffic so those that go to churches are not inconvenienced to waiting before they go to Cracker Barrel or some buffet, that tries to influence public policy to include their belief system, that thinks their version of a superior being is the only one, not even considering that their favorite fairy tale is just that, and one that accepts discrimination against 'others' as 'righteous' because of those fairy tales.

You are correct.

They are insidious.
Do you voice a similar opinion against, say, government funded Catholic schools in Canada? One religious faith thinking "their version of a superior being is the only one" and being officially and fully endorsed by the state? You're not kidding. I sure as heck wasn't going to raise my kids around that. One of the reasons we left.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:14 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Do you voice a similar opinion against, say, government funded Catholic schools in Canada? One religious faith thinking "their version of a superior being is the only one" and being officially and fully endorsed by the state? You're not kidding. I sure as heck wasn't going to raise my kids around that. One of the reasons we left.
Yup, you bet I do. You realize that not all provinces have that, right? Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, and Yukon (to grade 9 only). I was surprised Manitoba doesn't. I had to go to a Catholic school as there were no other public schools in the town we moved to. I was scared spitless as the first teacher I got there was a nun.

She turned out to be one of the best teachers I had. At the end of the year, she gave everyone a rosary, except me and one girl who was not Catholic. I got a pen and paper set, and the girl a necklace and clip-on earring set. Still have a ton of respect for that woman in not forcing her religion on us.

I had to sit through the catechism, but could read, or draw, or do my homework. I always considered the bible stories as fairytales, and I also learned what hypocrisy was when I saw how other students actually lived as opposed to what their religion taught.

You might understand this being a Canadian and the relevance of it. Both nuns I had from grade 6-12 once had taught in a residential school. I hope I was right in thinking that they were not one of the abusers, as they both were excellent teachers.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:47 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Yup, you bet I do. You realize that not all provinces have that, right? Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, and Yukon (to grade 9 only). I was surprised Manitoba doesn't. I had to go to a Catholic school as there were no other public schools in the town we moved to. I was scared spitless as the first teacher I got there was a nun.

She turned out to be one of the best teachers I had. At the end of the year, she gave everyone a rosary, except me and one girl who was not Catholic. I got a pen and paper set, and the girl a necklace and clip-on earring set. Still have a ton of respect for that woman in not forcing her religion on us.

I had to sit through the catechism, but could read, or draw, or do my homework. I always considered the bible stories as fairytales, and I also learned what hypocrisy was when I saw how other students actually lived as opposed to what their religion taught.

You might understand this being a Canadian and the relevance of it. Both nuns I had from grade 6-12 once had taught in a residential school. I hope I was right in thinking that they were not one of the abusers, as they both were excellent teachers.
Ontario has K-12 government funded religious schools (only for Catholics, of course).

The fact that your town had no other public school but a Catholic one is precisely what I'm talking about. That is discrimination, pure and simple. And, given the massive amounts of money Catholic schools receive, I would darn well hope you had a couple of good teachers.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:20 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...it's called tolerance. I believe the Good Book makes reference to it.
So next time when your in church pray for tolerance. Leave the "Good Book" out of government.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:25 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...145353618.html

Seems muslims are celebrating this as a victory for Islam and still want more

Old 04-25-2020, 08:28 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...145353618.html

Seems muslims are celebrating this as a victory for Islam and still want more
That’s what you got from the article? Interesting. I particularly appreciated this...

"We wanted to touch those individuals who frequent this mosque and this community," Hussein said. "If we cannot be physically together, at least this echo, this voice, this call to prayer can be an extension of us being together at this difficult time. To give some people some solace."

AND

Adam added that while the virus has devastated communities and upended daily life, it has also shown that "we're in this together".

"It just shows the significance of the global village and how interconnected and interdependent we are as a world community," he said. "I think that there will be a lot of change in our way of life for the better. I hope so."

Old 04-25-2020, 08:38 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Would it be wrong for someone with a PA system that is at least equally loud to play :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgnClrx8N2k
or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l482T0yNkeo

I think it would be fair, but only at the same time the Muslims do their call to prayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies