Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 09:40 AM

159 posts, read 54,367 times

Advertisements

I agree with the following definition from Wikipedia. Based on their definition, I support nationalism. With that said, there have been "good" nationalists throughout history and there have been "bad" nationalists throughout history. Who were some good nationalists? Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Gandhi. Who were some bad nationalists? Adolf Hitler and Fidel Castro.

I ask because I believe that some have a mistaken idea of what is nationalism. Some view it as being opposed to immigration, for instance. That is incorrect, based on the definition below.

Nationalism - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › Nationalism
Nationalism is an ideology and movement that promotes the interests of a particular nation (as in a group of people) especially with the aim of gaining and maintaining the nation's sovereignty (self-governance) over its homeland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationalism

Old 04-24-2020, 12:44 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDawg View Post
I agree with the following definition from Wikipedia. Based on their definition, I support nationalism. With that said, there have been "good" nationalists throughout history and there have been "bad" nationalists throughout history. Who were some good nationalists? Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Gandhi. Who were some bad nationalists? Adolf Hitler and Fidel Castro.

I ask because I believe that some have a mistaken idea of what is nationalism. Some view it as being opposed to immigration, for instance. That is incorrect, based on the definition below.

Nationalism - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › Nationalism
Nationalism is an ideology and movement that promotes the interests of a particular nation (as in a group of people) especially with the aim of gaining and maintaining the nation's sovereignty (self-governance) over its homeland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationalism
Unfortunately, the liberal left confuses nationalism with white supremacy of which it is not. Nationalism should be a sense of pride and loyalty to our country and its laws regardless of what race you are and putting the needs of our own citizens first. Immigration should be in regulated numbers, diversified, of those who will be contributors to our society and done legally. What's white supremacist about that?

Old 04-24-2020, 01:30 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,965,034 times
They don’t confuse it. They use it. The real mistake the left makes is assuming normal people are intimidated by the democrats accusations and ridicule. That only works with their fellow neurotics.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:33 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,750,085 times
That actually seems fairly accurate as a book definition. It can also get loaded up with a bunch of nensense, and as a working definition, I think that’s more common.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:39 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
Nationalism is a way to divide people up vertically with regard to class, and horizontally with regard to space. In other words, a nation has fixed boundaries and spans social classes.

Good nationalism focuses on social redundancy and diversity. If one country goes bad, another is still standing. Whereas if we're all one country, what happens if the world government becomes corrupt?

Bad nationalism is expansionary and chauvinistic. It's bad because it takes the saving graces of nationalism - social redundancy and diversity - and uses them as springboards to launch an imperial effort to subdue other nations, reducing the amount of redundancy and diversity.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:49 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
This is the point that needs to be emphasized as many time as is required.

Nationalism is patriotism and loyalty to your country. The people who hold these valued in contempt are the problem.

Nationalism (as opposed to globalism) is not about skin color and anyone who tries to make it about skin color, is in fact a racist.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:54 PM

159 posts, read 54,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Nationalism is a way to divide people up vertically with regard to class...
Can you provide an example(s) of this?

Old 04-24-2020, 02:00 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDawg View Post
Can you provide an example(s) of this?
Think of society as a pyramid, with class layers on top of each other, growing skyward.

That's the vertical class stack.

Now think of nations as multiple pyramids, each on its own territory. The nation united the classes into one society, but there are multiple societies. Redundancy with difference.

Compare with globalism. Globalism unites people of the same class across the world. Communism is an example of working class globalism. Corporatism is an example of elite globalism. People feel more allegiance with their class counterparts in other countries, than they do with their neighbors at home in a different class than them.

Globalism unites geographies based on class. Nationalism unites classes based on geography.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:03 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,787,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Nationalism is a way to divide people up vertically with regard to class, and horizontally with regard to space. In other words, a nation has fixed boundaries and spans social classes.

Good nationalism focuses on social redundancy and diversity. If one country goes bad, another is still standing. Whereas if we're all one country, what happens if the world government becomes corrupt?

Bad nationalism is expansionary and chauvinistic. It's bad because it takes the saving graces of nationalism - social redundancy and diversity - and uses them as springboards to launch an imperial effort to subdue other nations, reducing the amount of redundancy and diversity.
Interesting.

This is an argument I hear most often from "vote with your feet" libertarians in favor of open borders. The idea of picking and choosing between countries based on taxation or governance requires liberal immigration laws. Nationalists oppose this idea.

If every country were nationalist, you would see very little immigration due to fears of upending social solidarity.

So I don't think your point makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies