Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 02:34 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I wonder if fever precedes a drop in Oxygen in the blood? If so, a Themometer will do the trick.

Why don't the grocery stores have a person at the entry taking everyone's temp prior to entering using the instant "radar gun" looking no-touch instant thermometers?
The problem is that the pneumonia is creeping up on some people - especially the elderly - and causing disease in the lungs before the immune system can put up a defense by generating a fever, etc. So some people may not experience a fever or have a very low fever that is undetected while the virus turns the lungs into goo. This is a really sneaky, awful disease that seems to manifest in so many ways. That’s part of why it’s so dangerous - we don’t know much about it and its course is so unpredictable. It’s going to take a long time for us to “catch up” to this and understand it the way we understand HIV/AIDS, measles, or Small Pox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 03:01 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Under 90, I would retake again after patient relaxes, takes some deep breaths. If it's still under 90, call into doc or if present w/ other symptoms, send to ER.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:04 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
I have one for flying to test 02 levels at altitude. They are inexpensive and useful.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:05 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
I'm betting every smart watch company is going to add this to their wearables in the next iteration.

check that. several already have it.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:06 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
who doesn't have one of those!?
Jokes aside, a lot of people do. The newer Apple smartwatches, some Garmin, Fitbit models, Samsung, and so on.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:15 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
I had experience with my grand and several pneumonia bouts and respiratory problems. Don't now about the virus- but deep breathing- stretching and exercising the lungs is a good way to keep them unclogged or clean if you are home a lot or cant get that run or walk etc in while locked in.
We did a lot of burping on the grand... the therapist invented a ruler with a tapped soft plastic cup and they gently beat the back - it helped break up the mucous. Not all will go the hospital if they get sick... but this does help. I still have the tube thing- where you blow to make the little balls go up. blowing balloons or the swimming toys is good - too

Old 04-24-2020, 03:25 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
I hear that video/zoom doctor “visits” want you to have the oximeter, thermometer, and bp cuff for reporting your vital signs. Amazon has a bunch but I don’t know if they are in stock.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:31 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
My Garmin Vivoactive 4 smartwatch has one. I have it measure my Pulse Ox during sleep. I'm in the mid 90s during the day. It drops a bit at night. It has the same red light that is on the ones at the hospital in addition to the green lights for pulse.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:36 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
where are you people getting and believing these myths?

It's the idea that a lot of people are symptomatic but being turned away and dying at home - that's the myth.
Reuters
AP
BBC
AFP
PBS
NYT

and several others in English and French, most of which are acronyms too.

I've read several different stories from various sources in different areas that offer first person accounts of this happening, either by patients themselves or medical professionals who learned about it after it happened. If you search for "silent hypoxia" there are quite a few cases recently involving COVID-19.

You may take issue with whether or not that qualifies as "a lot," but if you ask me, anyone who goes into a medical facility alive and is then sent home and dies soon after counts as too many.

Here is the current Google list for new reports about silent hypoxia just from the last week. There are a wide variety of sources.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22s...ih=625&dpr=1.5

Last edited by lhpartridge; 04-24-2020 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: to add quotation and response

Old 04-24-2020, 03:38 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I’m not a doctor, but I recently listened to an interview with a doctor about this very topic. She said that a normal blood oxygen level is above 95% She said that levels as low as 90% aren’t necessarily serious but that it’s not normal. Some patients have come into ERs with blood oxygen as low as 50-60% (It’s called silent hypoxia) and by that point may beyond what medicine can do for them.

So, above 95% is normal (the higher the better) and 90% or lower is a sign of a problem.
Not sure how accurate my Garmin watch is but on some nights I drop below 90% to like 88% or 89%. It fluctuates up and down during the night. But rises and stays above 90% during the day. I would assume my watch isn't as accurate since it is on my wrist where at hospitals they measure your fingertip.

From this support forum, it seems as though there is a negative 5% bias. Which is good my case. lol

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...se-ox-accuracy

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/atdisclaimer/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies