Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 04:18 PM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I’m not a doctor, but I recently listened to an interview with a doctor about this very topic. She said that a normal blood oxygen level is above 95% She said that levels as low as 90% aren’t necessarily serious but that it’s not normal. Some patients have come into ERs with blood oxygen as low as 50-60% (It’s called silent hypoxia) and by that point may beyond what medicine can do for them.

So, above 95% is normal (the higher the better) and 90% or lower is a sign of a problem.
Thx for this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 04:27 PM

12,470 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
https://www.startribune.com/what-i-l...nia/569857042/

I read about this in the Health and Wellness forum this morning. This device is an early warning system for drops in oxygen levels in your blood that you might not even realize has occured due to C-19. The drop in Oxygen can preceed the difficulty in breathing.

Knowing WHEN to seek medical help is the problem this device might solve.

I'm not sure at what level of Oxygen would call for a trip to the doctor/hospital...still learning on the fly here, but wanted to get this out to a wider audience w/o delay.

AnasthesiaMD...you out there? What Oxygen level in blood is so low it is considered "seek professional medical attn?"
It's not a bad idea if you live in an area where Covid-19 is prevalent. Many of them aren't real expensive - about $35. I've heard there's been kind of a run on them though.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:30 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
how many 70+'ers have these products?
No clue. Apple Watches I see a lot on older folks, couldn't tell you if they're the newer ones that do. They all look like a square to me. My mom in mid 60s has one on her Samsung phone.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:00 PM

8,383 posts, read 4,372,592 times
Speaking of technology....

The Oura ring looks interesting. Like many fitness bands/watches it monitors heart rate, activity, and in addition it monitors respiration and temprature. There is currently a study with 2000 health workers to see if this could act as an early warning system for illness. It is a ring you wear on your finger and of course is communicates to an app on your smart phone.

https://ouraring.com/?utm_source=goo...SAAEgLXlfD_BwE

I have no special interest in this product. I do not own one....yet.....but I think it's kind of neat. Does it have an O2 monitor? Not yet.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:13 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I have one. It is super easy to use.
Well yeah...hasn't everyone had one on their finger when they go in for a doctor's appt? Not new...not complicated.

My question - why is this in P&OC rather than Health and Wellness?

Old 04-24-2020, 05:17 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,614,838 times
I bought one online a long time ago, about 30 bucks.

Pretty useful tool, you can learn how to breathe in certain ways to manipulate your oxygen-saturation and pulse......watch the oximeter for feedback.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:43 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post

Reuters.....etal

You may take issue with whether or not that qualifies as "a lot," but if you ask me, anyone who goes into a medical facility alive and is then sent home and dies soon after counts as too many.

Here is the current Google list for new reports about silent hypoxia just from the last week. There are a wide variety of sources.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22s...ih=625&dpr=1.5
they're not from the last week - they're from the last 2 days. just for accuracy. You understand that many outlets take 1 report or outlet's article and then re-post it?

What you said, in summation, was:

Quote:
another early warning sign is the loss of the senses of smell and taste. ...My first stop once I can't smell them anymore is ...oximeter to check my saturation level. After that would begin the struggle to get a test without presenting overt symptoms. Apparently a lot of people have just been sent home without tests and then died without being treated. I hope I would have better luck.
now, those symptoms you listed aren't necessarily important to the point. What you said was "a lot of people ..."

Hey, if you want to consider ONE person too many, that's fine - it's your right. Of course, you didn't show any examples of people who showed up with multiple symptoms - or even telling the hospital "I lost my sense of taste and smell AND my oximeter is below 90" - and were sent home and died. Shy of me reading 3 pages of articles posted in thee last 2 days.

And THAT is the myth - that ALOT of people showed up with the symptoms you mentioned, but they were sent home and died.

My point is that there's WAY too many people turning "anecdotes" into "truth", and there are simpletons on social media that see folks type that, and take it as fact and panic.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I've used one for years as a RN/Paramedic. I have a better quality one in my personal kit. It's a good indicator of supplemental oxygen needed. It should be used in conjunction with breath sounds useing a stethoscope, heart rate, blue coloration in lips/gums finger nails, capillary refill and so on. Things like fingernail polish and cold temperatures can affect readings.

There are many, many things that can cause oxygenation to drop and a low value does not automatically mean you have C19.
to be clear, when you say "nail polish", you mean the finger that you put the PulseOx on, not wearing nail polish in general is bad. Yes? Otherwise, there are fearful people all over the globe rushing to remove their nail polish.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I was thinking daily testing.
if you're scared **** less, the PulseOx is easy to use as many times as you desire, and you probably (as a non-doctor) should. Once an hour, it'll take 20 seconds tops.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:51 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
they're not from the last week - they're from the last 2 days. just for accuracy. You understand that many outlets take 1 report or outlet's article and then re-post it?

What you said, in summation, was:

now, those symptoms you listed aren't necessarily important to the point. What you said was "a lot of people ..."

Hey, if you want to consider ONE person too many, that's fine - it's your right. Of course, you didn't show any examples of people who showed up with multiple symptoms - or even telling the hospital "I lost my sense of taste and smell AND my oximeter is below 90" - and were sent home and died. Shy of me reading 3 pages of articles posted in thee last 2 days.

And THAT is the myth - that ALOT of people showed up with the symptoms you mentioned, but they were sent home and died.

My point is that there's WAY too many people turning "anecdotes" into "truth", and there are simpletons on social media that see folks type that, and take it as fact and panic.
If I didn't know better, I'd say "You must be new here. Everything you just said went way over their head"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies