Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 10:14 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's not an "issue" for me.

I haven't left my apt. since March 15th. I work from home though a lot of work has dried up of course. I will continue to work from home and stay home for awhile regardless of what the State says. That's my choice.

My choice.

That's how you know I'm principled: there isn't an individual on this board more committed to social distancing than me but who believes in the rights of others to not do so if they wish. I don't own them. I don't have a higher claim on their own life than they do.

Slavery is just bad form, IMO.
in for a penny or for a pound?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
There is no short term with this virus. If people want to risk their life for corporate profit margins or some politicians re election chances than go right ahead. But there is no solution other than a longterm lockdown or basically letting people die en masse till herd immunity is reached
What happens when the government can not meet their creditor obligations, because of a shut down on the economy?

The National Debt Explained

"It is easy to understand why people (beyond politicians and economists) are starting to pay close attention to the issue these days. Unfortunately, the manner in which the debt level is explained to the public is usually pretty obscure. Couple this problem with the fact that many individuals do not understand how the national debt level affects their daily lives, and you have a centerpiece for discussion—and confusion."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 10:22 PM

32,073 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Yeah let's sacrifice the economy, our constitutional rights, and personal freedom for a virus that as a 0.18% death rate and mostly has only effected the elderly and/or those with pre-existing health issues. That's perfectly rational.
Like I said. Suck it up and deal with this. Our economy is already screwed. It will takes years for us to recover from this. Pay attention to the news. This affects every age group.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:23 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
There is no short term with this virus. If people want to risk their life for corporate profit margins or some politicians re election chances than go right ahead. But there is no solution other than a longterm lockdown or basically letting people die en masse till herd immunity is reached
Well long term lockdown is not realistic. We need the economy to survive. Otherwise there will be serious consequences.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:24 PM

34,057 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I think the question has become a topic well before you posted it, and your location would matter.

I will say - hard-hit dense cities need to suck it up and keep it under lockdown, because they are the actual ones that would cause a 2nd wave. A 1,000 case/100 death increase in 30 states is a ripple compared to the NYC metro.
Bingo. This is largely the NYC metropolitan pandemic.

The affects on NYC metro are crushing, both medically and economically.

Much of interior America, however, has hardly shared, nor will they share, anything remotely as intense.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
What seems to be getting lost in this lockdown are the 30 million people with no job. These are largely low wage workers with very little savings. They still have car payments, rent, utilities, food etc. These people are really being ignored and very few seem to care. Business need to open up so these folks can go to work.
Agreed, but the irony is millions amongst them are, for 4 months, making more money than before, due to the flat $600/wk unemployment insurance tack-on.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:29 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Salmon View Post
You need people for an economy to be successful. If people don't want to go out because they don't want to get sick and if people are dying, the economy is not going to matter.
What makes you think they won’t?

Old 05-01-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
You need people for an economy to be successful. If people don't want to go out because they don't want to get sick and if people are dying, the economy is not going to matter.

Wrong. Imagine had this struck Venezuela, whose economy is crippled long-term.

The reason the US has been able to indulge in using immense resources to fight this, both in terms of medical care and trillions in stimulus, is we had, going in, an extremely robust economy.

As even NY liberal governor Cuomo has said many times, to think either health or the economy is an either/or is a tragic error. Without either the other fails, and without either, the long-term consequences are far greater than what we have experienced. Without either, the future of the nation existing in a civilized manner are finished.

That is why the job of everyone will be striking a balance. Not choosing a flat out lockdown, or an absolute open everything, no matter the consequences.

Anyone who thinks either extreme will work is simply too juvenile to comprehend the law of unintended consequences.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
900 meat plant workers have tested positive. That's in Indiana. One each probably brought it to their families and they went out and gave it to someone else. How many really have it? It's probably thousands.

700 in one Detroit hospital.

You get the picture. Nice try, but it's not just going on in NY.
Nice one in a million, Sally. The industry works inches apart from each other.

NY/NJ/CT/MA will have over 1/2 the US covid deaths, with under 13% US population together. That mans 87% of the US population will have a per capita death rate less than 1/7th the NY metro per capita covid rate of death.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:42 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
We are already seeing it across the country. People are getting antsy. There’s protests storming the capitals of different states. I think there’s fatigue all over. I’m already seeing more people having “get togethers” and posting it on social media. More and more people are going to start ignoring the social distancing. Now with the weather getting nice I think we’ll see even more people ignoring. I know people already planning 4th of July BBQ’s.

What do you think?
From April 20- Concerning anti-lockdown protests taking place across America,

"60% of Americans oppose the ongoing protests, with just 22% supporting the demonstrations and 18% who said they were unsure."

"Even among Republicans, a plurality of 47% opposed the protests compared to 36% who support them."

"71% of respondents were more concerned about lifting coronavirus restrictions too quickly compared to 27% who were more concerned about re-opening too slowly."
https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...ts-poll-2020-4

Apr 23- "Poll: 8 in 10 Americans Favor Strict Shelter-in-Place Orders To Limit Coronavirus’ Spread, and Most Say They Could Continue to Obey Such Orders for Another Month or Longer."
https://www.kff.org/global-health-po...nth-or-longer/

April 29- "About three-quarters of Americans favor continuing shutdowns for another two weeks to stem the spread of the coronavirus, compared to only about 10 percent who oppose doing so."

"50 percent strongly support at least another two weeks of social distancing measures, with another 25 percent saying they supported them. Six percent said they opposed continuing the measures, compared to 4 percent who were strongly opposed. A larger portion—14 percent—said they had no opinion."
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...-lockdown-poll

Old 05-01-2020, 10:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
As long as necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies