Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 02:01 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,408,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
How old are these people who you say caught it/died from it?

There's always one in the crowd that says they know someone who's won the lottery jackpot.

Just heard from a friend that the CDC has lowered the US death toll to somewhere in the neighborhood of 36K total. Anyone else heard this, or is it another rumor?
The aunt was old (80+) with an underlying condition. The friend/nurse is about 50. I don’t know about any underlying conditions, but she is healthy enough to be working at a physically demanding job full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 02:10 PM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:

There's always one in the crowd that says they know someone who's won the lottery jackpot.

Just heard from a friend that the CDC has lowered the US death toll to somewhere in the neighborhood of 36K total. Anyone else heard this, or is it another rumor?
The 36 K just represents completed death certificates, which lag behind reports from other sources.

Quote:
So if someone flips out because they can't take the covid-19 shutdown, leaves a note about it and commits suicide, will authorities list the cause of death "complications from covid-19"?
No, the cause of death would be what killed the person: gunshot wound, drug overdose, blunt force trauma due to jumping off a building, whatever.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:23 PM

36,541 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Do you think all the Drs and nurses that died at the front lines had underlying conditions ? The 5 yr old girl ? Do you think healthy people cannot die from this I guess is the better question.
The one that had meningitis?

Old 05-04-2020, 02:26 PM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:

The CDC’s official government website, updated today, has the COVID death toll at 67,456.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html

Old 05-04-2020, 02:32 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,131,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
The aunt was old (80+) with an underlying condition. The friend/nurse is about 50. I don’t know about any underlying conditions, but she is healthy enough to be working at a physically demanding job full time.
I've known plenty of 50 year olds (give or take 5 to 8 years) working at the hospital and ironically some of them have bad health and/or bad habits that lead to bad health, primarily obesity, bad eating habits, smoking, drinking, just to name a few.

As for someone who's 80+ with underlying condition(s), what would anyone expect with someone at that age? I've personally known individuals that have died (not from covid-19) half that age from underlying health conditions.

Interesting though. The 80+ age person you mentioned, if this person would have died from a heart attack, stroke, pneumonia, diabetes, aneurism, cancer, kidney failure, etc. it would have been totally understandable, given the age and underlying health condition. But when it comes to covid-19, which right now is just a buzzword, because it's covid-19 that sets off the alarms. Is this because all these other ailments that people have been dying from have been around for centuries, but covid-19 is just a new illness. It's not been around long enough to be an acceptable way of death like the other ailments I listed, and more.

Last edited by FC76-81; 05-04-2020 at 02:51 PM..

Old 05-04-2020, 02:37 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,760,601 times
NY is starting to feel like it's easing up but we will know about a week from now if things are back to normal

Old 05-04-2020, 02:38 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,408,714 times
Quote:
I've known plenty of 50 year olds (give or take 5 to 8 years) working at the hospital and some of them have bad health and/or bad habits that lead to bad health.

As for someone who's 80+ with underlying condition(s), what would anyone expect with someone at that age? I've personally known individuals that have died (not from covid-19) half that age from underlying health conditions.
I’m not sure I like the flippant tone you have adopted. “What would anyone expect with someone at that age?” Well, how about not to die a horrible death isolated from loved ones? How about living another five or ten years? Just because you are over 80 with some kind of underlying condition does not mean you are at death’s door and would have died the next month anyway.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:40 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
I think the bottom line here is that you don't want this virus in your body in the first place.

This is a horrible illness, according to my uncle (ER doc) at least, once you are on ventilator, your chance of survival is not as high as you thought it would be. Many of the patients on ventilators die of multi organ failure, many patients develop widespread blood clots. Many have to to be on ventilators for very long time (15 plus days) and they still die.

The goal is NOT to get on that ventilator. How do you protect yourself? Well, nobody is saying being locked down in your house as long as possible is a goal here, but there is no doubt that this is a long and painful battle. Just stay safe everybody.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:42 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,289,975 times
Not sick from, but sick of.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:52 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,731,911 times
A local friend had it. She was sick for a week and recovered.

My brother's FIL and BIL both had it. Both were hospitalized with a hypertensive episode. The FIL had a history of hypertension but the BIL did not. So that was kind of weird. Both recovered fine.

My other brother had a neighbor and a friend (separate from the neighbor) who both had it. The neighbor had an underlying condition but recovered within a few weeks at home. The friend had no underlying condition (that my brother was/is aware of) and ended up in the ICU for several weeks. He is home from the hospital now.

A close friend of mine is originally from the NYC area and knows quite a few former classmates and others with it. Some died. Some were older but at least a couple were our age (early 40s).

So I only know one person personally who has had it; I live in an area where there's not a huge number of cases. I know a decent number of people "once removed" from me. My contacts are all trusted people (trusted by me, I mean), not like a FB friend or a random acquaintance. Siblings and one of my closest friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies