Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 07:17 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I’ve stated that it’s an estimate, based on my calculation. My methodology is provided, if you’d like to do your own calculation to either confirm or disprove my number.

I didn’t say that the sharp turn occurred at 40 yards away from the truck. I very clearly stated that in the video, from the time that we first see Arbery, he runs approximately 40 yards (or so) towards Travis.

You really need to stop mischaracterizing what I’m saying. There is no possible way for you to be unclear about what I wrote on this issue, other than wanton disregard for the truth.

If you go into that video and slow-mo through it and count his strides, how many do you count?
I am saying a sharp turn occurred. He started to go past the truck and then went left instead towards Travis. He didn't go far enough for it to be 40 yards back.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:20 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
I missed where Roddy (or anyone else) has said that’s what Roddy was doing. Can you quote this for us?
Try reading the police report.

It isn't very long and it's written in plain English.

First Roddy tried to block him on Burford according to the police report, the Roddy was right behind him from Burford to Holmes that is seen in the video.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Surely you’ve heard the phrase, “snitches get stitches.”

This can be a very real fear in some locations.
Yeah it's a really big fear in upper middle class white neighborhoods.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:23 AM

10,759 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It isn't a narrative.

Some are under the mistaken belief that would have given them cause. Others are just trying to get the details right.
It’s the very definition of the word. And many are quite emphatic about that narrative, insisting that it’s well-established fact. Your back peddling off of that now is hilarious.
Quote:
If they just wanted to chat, setting up a roadblock with one man standing in the bed with a gun and the other getting out of the truck with a gun was a poor way to go about it. Didn't look like talking was on their mind at all.
I’ve never suggested that what the McMichaels did was a good idea. But a bad idea, even a very bad one, can be perfectly legal.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:26 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
It’s the very definition of the word. And many are quite emphatic about that narrative, insisting that it’s well-established fact. Your back peddling off of that now is hilarious.

I'm not back peddling. I have consistently stated two things regarding that. One, I do not think that Travis made the first call that day since that caller is still said to be unidentified and his Dad said he went to get Travis when he saw Arbery running down the street, BUT, Two, it would not change anything about the case. No one saw a felony.

10,759 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The police report and the video.
There is no question that Roddy was behind Arbery in his vehicle. But “herding” is not supported by either the video nor the report.

I understand that you want to bolster your position, but making stuff up isn’t the way to do it.

Quote:
And your post that I took umbrage with:

When you read the two highlighted portions above, are you able to understand that they don’t say the same thing? It’s not even saying the same thing two different ways. The meaning of those two highlights is totally different.

Your claim of what was said in the police report is incorrect.

QED
OH MY! I didn't use the exact same words!

IF Travis was outside Greg would not have had to go INSIDE to get him, or tell him anything. IF Travis was inside, then there is no possible way he saw anything or knew anything about what was happening 4-5 houses down.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I don’t know, and I’ve never claimed to know.

This is one of the big problems that comes about when people come to unsupported conclusions based on very incomplete information. It’s a problem with accepting the police report as the gospel truth.

Nothing wrong with speculating, and we all do it. But when that speculation is presented as fact, and one concludes that no other options are possible, it’s nothing more than extremely lazy and weak analysis, and it lacks logic and critical thought.

Have you had a chance to listen to the “first 911 call” where someone calls about a guy in the house, and the 911 call from 2/11? If not, listen to them. Let me know if you think the callers are the same person.
I'm not trying to guess who made which phone call. We know that Greg made one on the 23rd as it has already been reported, we know that Travis made one on the 11th as that has already been reported, we do not know who made the first call in the 23rd as that information has not been released.

The McMichaels have not claimed as of yet that they SAW Arbery in the house on the 23rd.
Gerg has stated that he went inside to get Travis and said "the guy is running down the street, let's go".

IF Travis had made call 1 on the 23rd he would already know that, and he would not be inside the house because it is not possible to see the actual house 4-5 houses down on the same side of the street through the trees and other houses. So there is no way that he could have possibly seen Arbery go inside the house as the caller on 911 said he was doing unless Travis has x-ray vision.
I highly doubt, based on satellite images, that even from the front yard one could see the house under construction from McMichaels house.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
But the highlighted didn’t occur. Arbery confronted Travis.

Words have meaning, and we can’t change that meaning simply because the alternative better suits that which we want to accomplish.
The chase started before the final confrontation. And that is according to the statement from McMichaels to the responding police . And no I won't quote it for you, I have linked to it repeatedly go read it.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:47 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Actually, he really did. It would have been impossible for him to make that hard left and cross in front of the truck if he hadn’t passed the truck.

I’m curious. Your statement that he really didn’t pass the truck is demonstrably false. Making that statement doesn’t do anything to bolster your argument. Why would you say it?
Most people would say when Arbery got to the front of the truck he made a hard left or he turned left and moved in front of the truck if they wanted to spell every detail out.

They would not use the word passed because it is typically used to indicated being further past something than Arbery was and it also generally infers continuing past something in the same direction not turning.

Your need to argue over semantics is quite tiresome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies