Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 08:09 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If you were to actually read the included explanations/clarifications about the words Merriam includes as synonyms, it would help resolve your confusion.

If you want to continue to assert that they’re the same, go ahead. But Merriam-Webster doesn’t agree with you.
I'm not confused. As usual, you are so fixated on the trees that you cant see the forest.

Once again, the jury will decide what word to use to describe the events that happened. Will there be an actual discussion on this who knows. Will it matter to them what they call it who knows.

One thing I'm sure of is they will not have a dictionary or internet or thesaurus to refer to.

Since what you and I think any of these words mean doesnt really matter, how do you explain that the second DA who may or may not testify called the events a "hot pursuit" in his 3 page memo detailing why the McMichaels should not be arrested. Do you agree "hot pursuit" equals chase?

Same question regarding Roddy whose attorney has stated there was a chase and his client will be a witness to that.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:11 PM

10,756 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
He was on the left side of the truck. He ended up in a conflict with Arbery on the center or right side of the front which spills over to the left side. So Travis sought confrontation. And was rewarded.

Travis was fine as long as he hung by the driver door. Soon as he goes to the front he is attacking.

This is all simple stuff. Why do we keep trying to complex it?
Are you suggesting that Travis moved to the front of the truck after Arbery was already there?

Old 05-19-2020, 08:11 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,559,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Nope.

(a) A person commits the offense of aggravated assault when he or she assaults:

(2) With a deadly weapon or with any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury; or
https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia...icle-2/16-5-21
You have to first PROVE assault before you can argue aggravated assault. Given the context of what was going on, there was never " reasonable apprehension of immediately receiving a violent injury" so there was never an assault, thus there cannot be an aggravated assault.

The mere fact that someone has a firearm does not create "reasonable apprehension of immediately receiving a violent injury"

Old 05-19-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyplayer1 View Post
You just described exactly why Arbery had to defend himself.
Initiating an attack is not defending yourself.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
the police said the McMichaels were trying to cut off Arbery and Roddy was trying to block him

Do you consider that possible?
The police officer that wrote the report said that is what Greg told him. I’ve never said it wasn’t possible, just that the police report isn’t evidence that things actually happened that way.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:16 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
1. Both people who actually got burglarized have confirmed it.....but sure you know better I guess.

2. There were recent burglaries, including from that house, and you catch someone trespassing there....that's reason to suspect there has been a burglary, which is a felony.

3. You really didn't though.
1. People get burglarized, but they don't care enough about that crime to report it, but they absolutely care enough to chase down the suspected thief and detain him for police? Riiiight. I can smell your fumes.

2. The "phantom" burglaries again... You can't escalate your what your IMMEDIATE KNOWLEDGE IS. You either witnessed it or you didn't. Did they see something to justify their escalation? No. They didn't.

3. Once again, my argument is clearly laid out for you to counter, and the best you can do is "nuh-uh"

Old 05-19-2020, 08:18 PM

2,400 posts, read 755,216 times
Wait, he was a good boy!

Old 05-19-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
1. People get burglarized, but they don't care enough about that crime to report it, but they absolutely care enough to chase down the suspected thief and detain him for police? Riiiight. I can smell your fumes.

2. The "phantom" burglaries again... You can't escalate your what your IMMEDIATE KNOWLEDGE IS. You either witnessed it or you didn't. Did they see something to justify their escalation? No. They didn't.

3. Once again, my argument is clearly laid out for you to counter, and the best you can do is "nuh-uh"
1. I guess I have to welcome you to the real world, I assumed most people realize that most petty burglaries and even robberies go unreported. Here you are arguing against absolute facts simply because you don't like what they do to your false narrative. Yikes.

2. I've spelled this out for you quite a few times, but I'll try again. They had IMMEDIATE KNOWLEDGE of the trespassing and reasonable and probable suspicion of a felony, if you read the statute, that's what you need for a citizen's arrest. I've also spelled out for you that no arrest was even attempted, so it doesn't really matter. They'd have been justified in doing so, but they never got a chance even if they wanted to because the violent idiot attacked them first.

3. Your argument is suggesting that the statute for citizen's arrest isn't the statute and the burglaries that happened didn't happen because you don't want them to have happened. That's not really a clear or convincing case.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
They impeded his freedom of movement on non-privatized land.

You can't even impede freedom of movement on private land that you own but at the very least you can request that the person leave your property and if not you can then use force.
Given that Arbery could, and in fact did, run right around the truck, and could have run in any other direction as well, your claim that his freedom of movement was impeded is nonsensical.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:23 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
You have to first PROVE assault before you can argue aggravated assault. Given the context of what was going on, there was never " reasonable apprehension of immediately receiving a violent injury" so there was never an assault, thus there cannot be an aggravated assault.

The mere fact that someone has a firearm does not create "reasonable apprehension of immediately receiving a violent injury"
Assault is easy.
Quote:
(a) A person commits the offense of simple assault when he or she either:

(1) Attempts to commit a violent injury to the person of another; or

(2) Commits an act which places another in reasonable apprehension of immediately receiving a violent injury.
https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia...cle-2/16-5-20/

Being chased by men in trucks for 4 minutes then being confronted by those men holding guns and blocking the road would fulfill number 2 easily.
Committing a simple assault while armed makes it an aggravated assault. An aggravated assault is a felony. If someone is killed by a person committing a felony then it is murder.

Interestingly the GBI agrees with what I have just stated since the charges are Aggravated assault and murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies