Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 10:59 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,066,951 times

Advertisements

It is not that important question. It has always been clear that Mr Trump is a competitive business man. It is his nature to be comparative.

It is on the reporter by blowing things out of proportion, saying, "Why did you answer like you did to me?" She asked the question, who was he supposed to direct his answer, too? Duh, most of the world is very unhappy with China over the entirety of the Covid-19 pandemic. They - the CCP - are culpable in many ways and for many reasons.

In an interview with German newspaper Augsburger Allgemeine, billionaire George Soros criticized China for its autocratic regime, arguing the U.S. should not work too closely with the country. He also criticized President Trump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
It was an extremely important question. The fact that Trump has turned this into a global competition will come back and bite us in the butt. Scientists around the world are racing to produce a vaccine and they are collaborating like never before. But Trump’s America First policy means that in the end if other counties develop a vaccine, Americans might not have equal access to it. All because of Trump’s stupid, stupid need to turn every last thing into a huge competition.

I’m glad she called him out on it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 11:00 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Why should he have to pull his punches on China just because the reporter asking the question was Asian?

Does her ethnicity automatically give China a pass?

It was a set up from the get go, which is why she pulled her mask down on her second question.
He doesn't have to pull punches on anybody......

But he was asked to address his misinformation.....that has nothing to do with China.

And this silly blame China game in the press briefings does nothing to properly address the issue with China and the spread of this virus.

See -- adults don't worry about those kinds of games -- kids do.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:02 AM

8,696 posts, read 11,086,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Trump is wrong it wasn't a "nasty" question. It was a dumb question.
MSM ask dumb questions far too often. It’s garbage

I watch reporters ask Cuomo dumb questions far too often as well

Old 05-12-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Why should he have to pull his punches on China just because the reporter asking the question was Asian?

It was a set up from the get go, which is why she pulled her mask down on her second question.
No there was no set up --- Trump was asked why he keeps implying the USA is so much better than every country at testing -- which we are getting better but per capita Canada tests more than the USA -- so we have a little way to go. And that's all he has to answer....that he is proud how the health care system in the USA has improved their testing processes and we are getting more and more done. He doesn't have to make it a contest with other countries (especially when we aren't number one in per capita testing -- we just aren't).

He got defensive for being called out for his misinformation. I don't know if it was intentional or he just threw out the blame China line to divert from his misinformation.

He's had three months to deal with this issue and get talking points that are based on facts...not his hopes, prayers.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
MSM ask dumb questions far too often. It’s garbage

I watch reporters ask Cuomo dumb questions far too often as well

Yup they do. And guess what -- you answer them as best you can with facts not misinformation and then they can't call him out for it.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:06 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,349,706 times
Quote:

I don't know if you do this, but some people on this board frequently congratulate the Trump when he says something stupid and the media responds, pretending that he's just playing them. Yet he's the definition of reactive. Any little threat to his ego, his belief that his fanny is the smoothest fanny of them all, sends him into a fit.

The proper and I think politically astute answer, meaning one that was truthful, poked at the reporter's possible motivation, and still kept him from the unattractive truth he wants to obscure, would have been "I emphasize testing because that issue has been framed as evidence of U.S. failure. I make the point in reference to the amount of testing other counties do because that's a logical frame of reference, and because my political opponents and the press have framed testing that way."

How difficult would that have been for him to say? I know, the answer is real ****ing difficult, and the Trump doesn't do difficult, but isn't that the whole problem with the the Trump and his Trump first cluster**** response to this crisis.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:18 AM

25,451 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
My comment didn't imply that I thought he was purposely racist.......I was addressing that the young lady's heritage was apparent by her eyes alone ---it is what it is.

I'm no Trump fan. I don't know if he was meaning to be a jerk or just accidentally tripped into it.

And he could have easily said -- of course I didn't mean it to be personal ---- next question -- answer the next reporter and get out.

But his defense demeanor is childish, it is.
He is very childish for sure. And he should have just stayed and answered Collins' question. I think he accidentally tripped up this time. I think the woman should have kept her mask on and moved on without making a big deal about it.

Last edited by trobesmom; 05-12-2020 at 11:35 AM..

Old 05-12-2020, 11:34 AM

613 posts, read 815,510 times
I watch other world and local leaders fielding questions from the press. They are often asked tough, sometimes unfair and partisan questions. Now and then you see a small flicker of annoyance cross their face, followed by the best answer they can provide at the time. This applies to leaders from both sides of the aisle. Trump on the other hand, ........................

I believe he does it deliberately. It's all part of his "Oh look a squirrel" strategy. The hope is that everyone will talk about his latest temper tantrum, rather than what a failure as a leader and a human being he is.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:38 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
tinytrump - not sure I followed - are you saying we don't test the most?

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/f...s-for-covid-19

your own chart. We are far and away in the lead.

unless that wasn't your point...?

my point was - if the answer is an opinion, and not a fact, and the question is an opinion and not a fact - then I do not want to hear either at these briefings. Just the facts, please. I understand not everyone believes a triple-peer reviewed fact right now - but nevertheless - it's all we've got. The other stuff? Opinions. Don't want it.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Obama crew would never have tolerated the scary clown press team
Mass suicides would have been immediate
All presidents have had their "issues" with the press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Just so happened that the reporter asking the question was Asian. He responded appropriately, to the reporter who asked the question. After responding - I am paraphrasing - ...there are thousands of people dying everyday in countries all over the world...you should ask China.

This is entirely consistent with President Trump's emphasis on China's culpability. Coincidentally, George Soros in an interview with German newspaper Augsburger Allgemeine, billionaire George Soros criticized China for its autocratic regime, arguing the U.S. should not work too closely with the country.

The CCP and they are truly autocratic, dictatorial, iron-fisted controlling their county and citizenry is who the world is now and rightly should be concerned about, on many, many fronts. Not just their responsibility regards the covid-19 virus.
Whether Soros criticized China is irrelevant. He's not the president. Trump knew what he was doing. It didn't just happen that he mentioned China to an Asian reporter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies