Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 08:44 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,936,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
No dining in
No going to malls
No going to movie theaters
No going to public libraries
No getting haircuts
No flying to international destinations where I want to go.
Waaahhhh!!! Life is so unfair!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 08:53 AM

15,848 posts, read 6,551,421 times
It depends on what you mean by "reopen". Every state is still open to some degree, and quarantine restrictions are gradually being dropped. But this is probably going to be with us, one way or another, for at least a year or more.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:11 PM

356 posts, read 121,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It depends on what you mean by "reopen". Every state is still open to some degree, and quarantine restrictions are gradually being dropped. But this is probably going to be with us, one way or another, for at least a year or more.
Not really, Australia isn't seeing a second wave. This may be over by the end of the summer

Old 05-15-2020, 12:21 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
And when I mean completely reopen, reopen everything as it was before this "new normal."
As long as it isn't my job, I can tolerate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
No dining in
No going to malls
No going to movie theaters
No going to public libraries
No getting haircuts
No flying to international destinations where I want to go.

So, a good deal of normal life is on hold.

People actually go to movie theaters? Then tell me why my local cheap theater closed down? Sometimes even when I go to the regular theaters I'm almost the only one there (I'm not complaining btw it's nice when it's practically empty)

Depends on the mall..my mall closed down years ago and the other one while still open isn't as visited as it used to be. Except for certain states people don't shop as much at the mall anymore when they can get so many things online.

People actually read besides me? Then why do kids today have poor language skills?

I haven't had a haircut in years. It's about the same length and it's healthy. A few months of not getting a haircut is not going to hurt anybody.

Sounds like a rich person problem. I've wanted to travel internationally but haven't got to yet and I've been on this Earth for a good minute (not going to say my age)

Old 05-15-2020, 12:25 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times
Oh, I totally agree with you... I think we should just open up everything right now with no restrictions or silly masks. Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen for at least another few months... This virus isn't completely going away... people need to suck it up and deal with it. If you truly feel scared, then stay home.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:27 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
I am sick and tired of these fascist restrictions on our freedoms, our rights, and our lives. My heart hurts for all the people worldwide who have lost their jobs because the world went into lockdown for a virus that is fatal to just a tiny percentage of those infected. My heart hurts for all the high school and university graduates who lost out on their last year of school and their graduation ceremonies because of a virus that most likely won't affect them.

I am sick of this social distancing nonsense and we must completely reopen NOW! And when I mean completely reopen, reopen everything as it was before this "new normal." I am sick of seeing "we will return when it's safe." What a bunch of wimps society has become to be afraid of everything! The virus will not go away! We must accept that it will be a part of our lives. Those who truly want to stay afraid, as well as the elderly and immunocompromised can stay at home and let the rest of us LIVE again.

I support the lockdown protesters in the USA and I am stunned that no one else in the world is protesting. What a bunch of wimps the rest of the world is; or maybe they are too afraid of their governments to express how they really feel. I am thankful to live in the USA where we have the freedoms and the balls to express how we feel.
This guy used to think like you do until he and his wife got the virus.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/flori...b66da6b7d5754f

Old 05-15-2020, 12:28 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Oh, I totally agree with you... I think we should just open up everything right now with no restrictions or silly masks. Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen for at least another few months... This virus isn't completely going away... people need to suck it up and deal with it. If you truly feel scared, then stay home.
Suck it up? Read this guy's experience. This is not a he-man competition.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/flori...b66da6b7d5754f

Old 05-15-2020, 12:31 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballkick View Post
Not really, Australia isn't seeing a second wave. This may be over by the end of the summer
Australia didn't reopen while cases were still climbing in places by huge numbers. Austrailia has 1/3 of our population density, and to give you an idea of how tough their lockdown was, phase 1 of the re-opening involves allowing interstate travel again to non essential workers.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:37 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
Quote:
I am sick and tired of these fascist restrictions on our freedoms, our rights, and our lives. My heart hurts for all the people worldwide who have lost their jobs because the world went into lockdown for a virus that is fatal to just a tiny percentage of those infected. My heart hurts for all the high school and university graduates who lost out on their last year of school and their graduation ceremonies because of a virus that most likely won't affect them.

I am sick of this social distancing nonsense and we must completely reopen NOW! And when I mean completely reopen, reopen everything as it was before this "new normal." I am sick of seeing "we will return when it's safe." What a bunch of wimps society has become to be afraid of everything! The virus will not go away! We must accept that it will be a part of our lives. Those who truly want to stay afraid, as well as the elderly and immunocompromised can stay at home and let the rest of us LIVE again.

I support the lockdown protesters in the USA and I am stunned that no one else in the world is protesting. What a bunch of wimps the rest of the world is; or maybe they are too afraid of their governments to express how they really feel. I am thankful to live in the USA where we have the freedoms and the balls to express how we feel.

I am even MORE heartbroken, annoyed, and angry because a lot of this was caused by misinformation, guessing (models) and they keep moving the goalposts farther and farther. Which is causing us to lose our freedom. AND that people are scared unnecessarily because of the climate of fear mongering that they have been foisted upon people so that they are scared to go out to the stores and restaurants when it re-opens. And what most is heartbreaking are the businesses that are going out of business because they will not be able to reopen due to various reasons - either the new way of doing things wont work because they are a very small store/restaurant, and/or they lost everything they put into it and/or they cannot afford to pay rent even pro-rated rent, for the months their business was closed.

I am so mad that much of this is political greed and political agenda from people who have not the citizen's health, safety, and livelihood as their priority, but politics taking precedence. And power trips.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:48 PM

1,768 posts, read 568,288 times
So let’s say the states reopen things. (As many have).

If businesses choose to remain closed, do you want the government to force them to open? Studios aren’t releasing new films. Do you want a law forcing them to do so? Do you want the wearing of masks banned? I mean, if you insist everything must go back to the way it was before...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies