Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 08:22 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,181 posts, read 13,469,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

It's far more likely, as in virtual certainty, that 99% of the population of the rest of the world doesn't think about America for more than a few fleeting ponderings per year...because they simply don't really care about what is going on somewhere they don't live, which includes the rest of their own country outside their local town/village. I don't think about France, England or anywhere else more than a random musing here or there when I see something in the news. I doubt very seriously I am alone there, nor that Americans are the singularly cool people who don't much care about crap outside the four walls of their own house.
I think people in the UK, France and Europe have better things to do and our own problems.

No one is filled with pity, hooror or contempt.

The US voters are more than capable of deciding on their own domestic policies such as firearms, healthcare or abortion etc.

In terms of what most people feel about the US it's a very beautiful country with lots of magnificent natural wonders, and has some very interesting cities.

Parts of the US are very vibrant and exciting, and the average American people are very friendly and engaing.

I really think some of this media driven nonsense needs to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 08:24 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Also, are we supposed to be surprised that her French friend is mocking America? The French have looked down upon Americans for decades. I was there more than 30 years ago, and you could FEEL the hate they have for Americans. (And when I say “feel,” I mean it literally. They stood on the bank of the Seine and threw rocks at our little riverboat. Could have killed someone.)
I remember some years back a place where American soldiers who died during Overlord were buried was vandalized. A big sign left saying America get your garbage off of French soi!"

We have history with the French. They did support the Revolution. It was in their interest to do so. But I think we've long since repaid that debt.

I've long seen the French as an arrogant and pompous bunch. Had some dealings with French military during my time working for DoD. These were supposed to be elite guys.

Training alone with British SAS and our SEALs for rugged high altitude operations. The French team went up the mountain. They got lost in a series of canyons on the back side. A place I actually know quite well from chasing strays that wander up there from the valley.

Some Marines that were there went up and got them. So much for French special forces. Vive La France. But the OP says it's not just France that disdains the US. I saw Nigeria mentioned. Nigeria? Please. The list goes on to include ME, African , Asian and of course other European nations.

I guess I'm supposed to care. I'm not feeling it. The OPs whole premise is just another Trump hating rant. Blaming everything from the pandemic to homeless pets on Trump. These leftist wackos have stood in the presidents way on everything hes tried to do and spent close to the last four years now concentrating on nothing but trying to remove him from office.

They refuse to accept the American people are fed up with the leftist buffoonery. And here we have someone saying that the rest of the world agrees with the left here in the US. And they are horrified and contemptuous of us because we dont.

Lol, and? Is there a point?

Old 05-16-2020, 08:37 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Did I say anything about brilliance ? You're the one who feels the need to defend anything done, even if stupid. I try to be honest and lucid about everyone's shortcomings, including mine and my country's.

What is true however is that gov spent billions to help with unemployment, health system is so that noone has to pay out of hand, etc. We'll pay dearly for that. But it's worth it, that's what it means to be civil and human.

But no, we haven't been brilliant. But are also a month ahead, you're still in it, let's talk about this in a few months or even weeks.

To be honest, I think we have "deconfined" too early, but that's me. Not paranoid, prudent.

No amount of money is worth all these deaths.

We have another problem coming, Kawasaki ilness seems to be linked to corona and attacks children. Many are sick, some have already died, as young as 6 years old. It's a nightmare. I hope it doesn't happen in your country.
This entire thread is about how brilliant the French and President are compared to our idiot people and President that has resulted in your death per infection rate more than 2.5 times higher than us idiots over here....and you chimed in with the same sentiment.

I guess the reason you're doing so poorly is because your government spent billions to help with employment and health systems and our government spent trillions?

p.s. No the USA is weeks ahead of where France is from each 1st case of coronavirus.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:41 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
This entire thread is about how brilliant the French and President are compared to our idiot people and President that has resulted in your death per infection rate more than 2.5 times higher than us idiots over here....and you chimed in with the same sentiment.

I guess the reason you're doing so poorly is because your government spent billions to help with employment and health systems and our government spent trillions?

p.s. No the USA is weeks ahead of where France is from each 1st case of coronavirus.
Yep!!! Just another America hating, self loathing KOOK Leftist.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:45 AM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I take it you are proud that out of about 200 countries, America is #12 in MOST deaths per 1M population? American Exceptionalism! Go us!

France's population density is also 4x greater than ours. If social distancing has any role to play, it is simply harder to do it there.
Yeah, all because of one area, mostly in one city. The rest of the nation had better than NYC, and I don’t think that’s just because of density. I’m starting to wonder what their healthcare was like while isolated in the hospitals with no family to advocate for their care and only doing ventilators and not trying other treatments. Or perhaps it’s just attributing every death to COVID-19. But their death rate is very high compared to other parts of the country.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:50 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yeah, all because of one area, mostly in one city. The rest of the nation had better than NYC, and I don’t think that’s just because of density. I’m starting to wonder what their healthcare was like while isolated in the hospitals with no family to advocate for their care and only doing ventilators and not trying other treatments. Or perhaps it’s just attributing every death to COVID-19. But their death rate is very high compared to other parts of the country.
Best policy is to the opposite of what NYC and Belgium did. Gov. Cuomo ordered covid patients into old folks home for example.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:52 AM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I'm afraid this may be true. All empires eventually fall; what precipitates the decline of empire varies. In our case we may be undone by a simple virus. The US and China were confronted with the same disease. The US has had 87,000 deaths and our economy is on the rocks. China had only 4700 deaths and they are open for business again.

This may be the year the American empire falters and China takes our place as the dominant world power.
My god, are you not mad at China for what they did? You think China is coming out of this looking good? Only if our traitor politicians and idiots here let them get away with it. They need to be chased off the world stage for what they did, and people here in there hatred of Trump are praising them instead? We have a real f’ed up country.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:40 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Actually, I think libs as you call them (they'd be at the very least center right here) actually love and care for their country and are worried what it is turning into.

Sure................. that is why they idolize mass murderers like Lenin, Mao, Che, Pol Pot, Castro.....ect. Libs hate the Judao-Christian tradition and thus support Islam, a religion based in subjugation and repression. Liberals have supported any and every policy to weaken the nation (NAFTA, China trade status, widespread illegal immigration, the drug culture) and thus support the agenda of tyrants.

Make no mistake of it, liberalism has done more damage to the US than all of the foreign enemies the nation has faced.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
I lived in France for years glad she likes looking down at us
They do that a lot
As long as their hand is in our pocket and they are leading the parade they think we are not so bad
France has a solution to its own sad history
Rewrite it

Old 05-16-2020, 09:51 AM

1,349 posts, read 664,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

Attacks again...

I guess you are not tooled to debate honestly. Sorry for that.

I did say I didn't agree with the op's intent, but that went right over your head apparently.

You know what ? I always was and still am interested in different points of view and truly believe that a person whose mind has changed a little after a conversation is actually the winner/

You appear to think otherwise and need to hold on your beliefs at all costs. Okay.

Despite your screen name, you can't have travelled much.... or didn't learn anything from it and I'm so sorry for that. Human interactions are incrdibly rich when you have an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies