Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 02:01 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times

Advertisements

As far as I am concerned, what matters is what percentage of those who actually become ill lose their lives. So far, that percentage varies between 3-6% - excluding NYC, Italy, Spain, Brazil, France, etc. That is a huge number. That even a small percentage of young healthy people develop very delayed reactions to the virus - some dying - is worrisome. Also worrisome are the children who have a delayed reaction to the virus. And the extremely lengthy recovery time of many, many weeks. Some will suffer permanent lifelong effects. This is not an insignificant virus - never was. Any attempts to assert the contrary is gaslighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 02:06 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,064,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Apparently there is some doubt in the medical community about whether the CDC is being politically manipulated or just too optimistic.
Quite a bit more than "some"...

Old 05-23-2020, 03:07 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So it looks like President Trump and Rush Limbaugh were right all along,
Then why has Trump been peddling fake numbers, and why did he push for the lock-down?

Having said that, I thought the low death rate was common knowledge, but 0.25% is still 8 million Americans.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:19 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
That is all terrible, but does it give the media an excuse not to cover what the CDC is saying about mortality rates?

Of course not. That is what this thread is about. You could cover it and then say "there are so many things we don't know" blah blah blah. They could invent all sorts of caveats.

Instead, it's a total and complete blackout.

Now the question is, why do they not want to cover it?

Hhhmmmmm.
Homework assignment: find the following:

1) The COVID-19 hospitalization rate.

2) The COVID-19 death rate without hospital intervention.

Then determine the following:

What happens to the real world COVID-19 death rate if hospitals are overwhelmed and can only treat a small fraction of the seriously ill.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:22 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,547,998 times
Quote:
Wow, that's really what you're going with? No opinion about the media's and Democrats' complicity in all this?

Weak indeed.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:22 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So it looks like President Trump and Rush Limbaugh were right all along, while the so-called "Experts" at the WHO and the panic promoting mass media have been consistently and spectacularly wrong.

What a complete fiasco this has been.
In the time it takes you to read this, someone has died.

100,000 dead within two days of this writing, three days at most. More to come ...

Old 05-23-2020, 03:25 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,547,998 times
Quote:
Yes, this.

And why? Because hospitals are compensated financially for every COVID patient they report.

Scamdemic.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:30 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
I linked the CDC in my original post, because that is where the numbers come from.
OP you do realize that this CDC report is COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios :

CDC and the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Responseexternal icon (ASPR) have developed five COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios that are designed to help inform decisions by modelers and public health officials who utilize mathematical modeling.

This is the CDC's version of War Games where different scenarios are evaluated and worked through.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:43 PM

989 posts, read 456,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
OP you do realize that this CDC report is COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios :

CDC and the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Responseexternal icon (ASPR) have developed five COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios that are designed to help inform decisions by modelers and public health officials who utilize mathematical modeling.

This is the CDC's version of War Games where different scenarios are evaluated and worked through.
Not the OP here, but saw that immediately: that these were pandemic scenarios. Five different models. Not sure the OP realized it. But what they do is estimate a far lower death rate than originally thought. I further linked an NPR article that discussed the revised plans and several people of the medical field quoted in that article suspect that the politics may have enveloped the CDC now. As I said, time will tell.

But as another poster up thread mentioned, I too am interested in the death rate for people who become ill with the virus. I think that's how it needs to be measured. Just like regular influenza. The death rate shouldn't count people who have it but never become symptomatic. They wouldn't measure the flu that way.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:58 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,407,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post

But as another poster up thread mentioned, I too am interested in the death rate for people who become ill with the virus. I think that's how it needs to be measured. Just like regular influenza. The death rate shouldn't count people who have it but never become symptomatic. They wouldn't measure the flu that way.
You are absolutely right. I have been saying this for weeks and this is the first time I’ve seen someone else post about it. If you want to compare the Covid death rate to that of the flu, you cannot include asymptomatic cases of Covid, because they do not count asymptomatic cases of the flu. You have to compare same to same, otherwise the numbers are meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies