Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 10:12 AM

9,105 posts, read 6,327,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I’d be willing to pay more for a product made in The USA. End China’s grip on USA economy.
I would be willing to pay more for something that does not break during the first 30 days of possession. I would be willing to pay more for something that does not break during first use. I would be willing to pay more for something not made of plastic when it should be made of metal in the first place. I would be willing to pay more for something that is guaranteed not to be poisonous or toxic to my health. I would willing to pay more for something made in America as long as I get a good value for my dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 10:15 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times

Old 05-26-2020, 10:17 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Poll: Most Americans Say They Would Pay More for Products NOT Made in China-heavy-dtuy.jpg

Old 05-26-2020, 10:18 AM

9,105 posts, read 6,327,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I did appraciate a recent post advising us that the bar codes of 690-695 are made in China.
^^^ I did not know that. That is a nice piece of information. Hopefully the CCP does not try to get that changed to fool us all over again.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:23 AM

21,869 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What people say they will do and what they actually will do are two completely different things.

Finding U.S.-made goods becomes harder and harder as more companies offshore production.

There are some great options out there - you can equip your kitchen with All-Clad, Fiesta, Cutco, NordicWare and Lodge - but they're much more expensive than their foreign-made counterparts. The differential between an All-Clad saucepan and a foreign made saucepan is considerable. All-Clad is a once in a lifetime purchase, but most people don't think like that anymore.

Flip a plate in at least half of the restaurants in the U.S. and you'll find backstamps of either Homer Laughlin China Co. or Hall China Co. In March, the company reorganized, selling its food service lines and both the Homer Laughlin name and the Hall China Co. name to Steelite International, a British firm. The products may or may not still be made in the U.S., but they will no longer be made in West Virginia or Ohio. The new company is making only Fiesta, has laid off production staff, and closed the historic Hall China plant in East Liverpool.
I've always been curious to see if All-Clad actually honors their lifetime warranties. Particularly on non-stick, those just are flat out not a lifetime product. Over the years the coating will wear off regardless of whether you're scraping at them with metal spatulas (very quickly) and the scrubby side of the sponge or not. Maybe that's the "normal wear and tear" exclusion. Tramontina strikes a good balance between cost and quality. My aunt has All-Clad. They are nicer, particularly things like the handles are more comfortable. Whether or not that's worth the substantial price difference is a judgement call. I can see the case for it on non-coated stainless steel.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:28 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Wonderful. We already know that it's not easy. But nothing worthwhile is easy.

Now instead of acting like a defeatist negative pessimist, which is easy, please make a positive practical contribution.

Please list something useful that you have bought recently, or at least know of, that is Made in USA.

Thanks.
Last thing definitively American a Jackson Soloist Custom Shop guitar, made to order in Corona California. With Seymour Duncan pickups made by Maricela Juarez (MJ) at their factory in Santa Barbara California.

That said it's kind of unusual, and it has German made Bridge, Tuners, and locking nut.

I dunno what I've bought that's uniquely American except food.

The solution is that everyone pays more for US goods and services, good luck on achieving that beyond lip service.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
I’d be willing to pay more for a product made in The USA. End China’s grip on USA economy.

https://bongino.com/most-americans-s...-made-in-china
It is easy to say in a survey that I would pay more for an American made product...and I do support local businesses even paying a premium for goods and services BUT.....will it pan out in reality.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:33 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:
Absolutely Disagree.
They are fully functional home computers that can be used to perform all your basic daily needs
from finances to purchases to emails etc..........Hobbies is primary but this is a fully functioning Linux operating system
which I am using to communicate with you at this present moment. Do not underestimate the power of this hardware unit
because of its size and do not underestimate the power of Linux.
Best wishes...............
You're not posting on here because of your toy. You're posting on here because there's a server with a web interface running vBulletin on PHP, with a MySql Store on some OS. Same applies to everything else you mentioned, there's also a fully functional Win 10 OS available for Raspberry Pi with a 64 bit architecture, it's still a toy.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:05 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9999 View Post
I think most Americans say they would pay more for products made in America. That being said, if they're in a store with two similar products, one made in the USA and one made in China, they will tend to choose the lower priced option regardless of Country of Origin. However, this virus may change things, who knows. It will take a lot of changing though, try going into a WalMart and finding a non-food item that was manufactured in the USA.
It's ridiculous that the US allowed themselves to rely on just one country. There are plenty of third world countries that are available to exploit. Why so much emphasis on China?

Old 05-26-2020, 11:17 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,112,271 times
Quote:

https://bongino.com/most-americans-s...-made-in-china
Sure. Go right ahead. Start making stuff. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies